SASS Wire Forum

Non-SASS Suggestions: 28 gauge

Whiskey Hicks

Like the title says, I keep seeing 28 gauge as about the only ammo in stock still at places like Walmart.

I get the sense it isn’t far too common. From what I’ve seen, mostly a skeet and bird gun? It looks popular in Europe.

Considering that I picture periodic ammo shortages are always going to be a thing, can anyone recommend an economical and decent choice in 28 gauge? I’m just looking at something to plink with and maybe someday get into fowling with.

2 minutes ago, Tom Bullweed said:

Chamber inserts for your 12 gauge sxs or single barrel.

Most 28 gauge guns are expensive.

The most coom9n and affordable would be a skeet gun like a Remington 1100.

I didn’t realize that’s a thing. So I could just buy inserts for say, my Stevens then?

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

I didn’t realize that’s a thing. So I could just buy inserts for say, my Stevens then?

Give these folks a call:

https://www.littleskeeters.com/

These folks are out of stock:

https://www.gunadapters.com/12-gauge-to-28-gauge-scavenger-series/

More info

https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun-shots/chiappa-inserts-let-you-convert-shotgun-other-gauges-and-centerfire-cartridges/

I’ve wanted a 28 gauge for a very long time. I also recently noticed that ammo is pretty readily available. I suspect that will change though. I regularly have been doing searches for years for a good deal on a double. I just found a CZ in 28 gauge, but I’m not ready to pull the trigger for $1250.  Lately the 28 gauge double are getting harder and harder to find, unless you want a piss poor quality Tristar. 

Thanks for for the info Pat Riot. I was unaware of the inserts, just might do that before all the ammo disappears.

Once they are out of 28 it may be a while before you see it again. They will probably make 12/20 until the pipeline is full again. 
I would bet right now most lines are committed to the common calibers . People with oddball calibers were looking good going into the plandemic but will most likely be the last to see their favorite calibers return to the ammo shelf . 
crazy times , this is the worst I’ve ever seen, here’s to hoping it gets better . 

I have a Browning pump 28 that I bought off a buddy who needed some cash for a car repair. He'll never get it back. It's my favorite shotgun now.

I found a brand new 26" Stoeger Uplander 28g SxS 'bout seven years back for $250, and jumped on it. Of course, then came a 28g Lee Load-All, 28g hulls from one of the auction sites, 28g wads, etc. I've shot Cowboy with it in the off-season "shoot whatcha brung" matches.

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

They're great guns for quail & dove.

I've no experience with 12-gauge inserts, but I'm thinking the pattern would be wide since it doesn't have the benefit of a full 28 gauge barrel.

I seem to remember from some years ago..... Can't remember the magazine but this has stuck in my head since. The patterns are suprisingly good. It may have been American Hunter or Outdoor Life. 

9 hours ago, Tennessee Trapper Tom said:

I’ve wanted a 28 gauge for a very long time. I also recently noticed that ammo is pretty readily available. I suspect that will change though. I regularly have been doing searches for years for a good deal on a double. I just found a CZ in 28 gauge, but I’m not ready to pull the trigger for $1250.  Lately the 28 gauge double are getting harder and harder to find, unless you want a piss poor quality Tristar. 

Thanks for for the info Pat Riot. I was unaware of the inserts, just might do that before all the ammo disappears.

I just got a flyer in from Cabelas and they have the CZ OU Teal for $849.

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

They're great guns for quail & dove.

I've no experience with 12-gauge inserts, but I'm thinking the pattern would be wide since it doesn't have the benefit of a full 28 gauge barrel.

Depends on the insert. All the ones I have first hand experience with were tailor made for the gun and were as long as the original barrels. They were 4 gauge sets so you got 5 gauges in 1 gun, (12, 16, 20, 28, .410) The first I saw was a Browning O/U set up for skeet. The same shooter also had an O/U trap gun with a similar setup. When he was on active duty he was a member of the US Navy Skeet and Trap teams.

I really wanted to buy the skeet setup but didn't have the cash to do so.

He did give the rest of us a lot of free coaching and pointers when he was at the Sunday afternoon base Rod and Gun Club matches.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A full length insert sounds like it would make the gun heavy.

I don't remember what they weighed but I don't remember them making the gun feel all that different when i tried it out.

Archived