SASS Wire Forum

Tattoos?

I have one tattoo where they marked where they removed a polyp during a colonoscopy. I ain't showing it to ya.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

I have one tattoo where they marked where they removed a polyp during a colonoscopy. I ain't showing it to ya.

I, for one, appreciate that.

A few of my tatts.

I like to have one offs if I can, so most  of what I have are my design.

Left arm is 'Ned Kelly' our famous  outlaw bushranger.

Right arm is the Eureka Stockade rebellion.

And of course the 'SASS Man '

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

In response to the actual subject, at the ripe age of 55, I plan on a couple. Yes, each for a reason.

I have 3.  Radiation targets for prostate cancer treatments.

On 4/12/2021 at 8:50 AM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I've seen some lovely tattoos covering scars. Here is a link to some. I especially like the one down the woman's back.

https://www.demilked.com/scars-tattoos-cover-up/

scars-tattoos-cover-up-5.jpg

I've seen these a couple of times and it always makes me smile just thinking of someone taking a scar and turning it into something that brings a smile to their face.  I have three tats-two memorials and one clarity phrase.  Waited until I was 40 for my first and never regretted a thing.  I can see where some don't like them, and that's okay too! 

On 4/12/2021 at 2:41 PM, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

In the same thinking, I've been considering the Harley Davidson bar and shield for some time.  

I have an HD bar on my right leg in front of an eagle. Got it at 18. Don't regret it, but wouldn't get it now. Color has held up really good for being 20 years old. Still consider getting others though. 

I was in Costco the other day and a pretty young lady that was boxing goods at the checkout behind me had a little tattoo on the back of her arm above here elbow. 
I thought to myself “That looks like a postage stamp.”

I looked again only closer and by golly, it was a tattoo of a postage stamp. 
She saw me looking at the same time I noticed that she had a number of really small tattoos on her arms all a few inches apart. 
Music symbols, a pair of glasses, a little dog. All little tattoos no more than an inch or so in size. 
Definitely unique. 
I said “I like your little tattoos.”

She smiled and said “I like yours” pointing at my anchor. 
My wife quietly said as she leaned towards me as we were walking away  “She likes your what?”

I said “My tattoo.”

She said “Uh-Huh...you better watch it Mister.” With a wink and a smile. :D

Back in the day when I was a minty fresh WO1, there was a CW5 who passed along some sage advice: "Tattoos tell a story of fiction; scars tell a story of non-fiction." I have no tats, but I've now gotten over 100 stitches in my life.

I have none, but my youngest daughter has enough for us both.
She is a retired rockstar and fully sleeved.

I used to tell 'em when they were kids.. "don't come home pregnant or with tattoos or out you go."
The middle nurse daughter was age 23 when I discovered a butterfly tattoo in the crack of her butt while at the lake.
"Dad.. I'm almost done with nursing school... don't kick me out."
I laughed.. she was age 23 and made it through her teens without a pregnancy or tats.  Good enough.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

9C2AE0BC-1AA4-4AD0-B3DD-BF2B89BD9E02.thumb.jpeg.49d61c12c83452b681fb5902dde2a8f1.jpeg
This is the only tattoo I’m likely to get. It was done with a #2 pencil under the root of my nail.

High School wasn’t bad. Getting the stub of the pencil lead dug out of my finger with a pocket knife was though.

CJ

I had a similar tat on my hip from a jab with a #2 pencil. I looked for it a couple of years ago but cannot find it anymore.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I learned one thing from my Dad’s friends and some of the guys I went to boot camp with and at Basic Electronics/ Electricity School by their examples. 
NEVER GET A TATTOO WHEN DRINKING!

Oh my gawd, were some of these tattoos terrible, stupid or both. 
One guy that stands out after boot camp was the guy that spent hundreds on a tattoo of a skull with a snake and knives, brass knuckles and a revolver that had the banner “Love thy neighbor” beneath it. A week later he found religion and regretted it. 
On my ship there were a few:
A guy got “Itallian Stallion” with a horse head on his upper arm. He was drunk. Misspelled “Italian”.

Another guy got a tattoo of an Italian girl’s name he met in Naples across his chest. His wife didn’t see the humor in it. She left him. 
A bunch of guys got tattoos in a Greek studio that was giving tattoos at a huge discount. Probably 6 artistes working at a huge oval table. Sailors lined up out the door. There was a huge glass container in the center of the table. A guy would finish a color and drop the needle head in the container that appeared to be full of alcohol. Only it was WATER!

I know because I asked. And then I immediately left after telling everyone in the room. Everyone stayed because “What’s the big deal?”

At least 12 guys got really bad infections. They all got Captain’s Mast and 90 days restriction with EMI. Each one lost rank as well.  All of their tattoos looked awful after their infections cleared up. 

Can anyone say Hepatitis?

If I wanted to make a statement or display a replica/picture of something, I would put it on a t-shirt. That way I could get a new shirt if I changed my mind or the shirt faded.

On 4/12/2021 at 12:41 PM, Cactus Jack Calder said:

9C2AE0BC-1AA4-4AD0-B3DD-BF2B89BD9E02.thumb.jpeg.49d61c12c83452b681fb5902dde2a8f1.jpeg
This is the only tattoo I’m likely to get. It was done with a #2 pencil under the root of my nail.

High School wasn’t bad. Getting the stub of the pencil lead dug out of my finger with a pocket knife was though.

CJ

Got some of those myself.  The older and plumb mean kids would do it to us

On 4/22/2021 at 4:26 AM, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

Back in the day when I was a minty fresh WO1, there was a CW5 who passed along some sage advice: "Tattoos tell a story of fiction; scars tell a story of non-fiction." I have no tats, but I've now gotten over 100 stitches in my life.

LOL, sounds like something a Chief would say .... I'll play devils advocate on this one... 

My 2nd deployment to AFG we had a pretty crazy mission that had an extensive firefight. Not a single hair was touched on the entire platoon except for two guys, our sniper was shot through the throat (no serious damage), and one of our squad leaders was killed. Everyone else was pretty much untouched. 

So in the absence of scars, my entire left bicep from shoulder to elbow all the way around depicts a battle, and on the inside of my bicep is a poem/collection of words I put together for that mission/squad leader. That tattoo is about as non-fiction as it gets. 

Those are the tattoos I don't think anyone objects to because they "mean something". My other arm is tattooed shoulder to wrist with just art... it has the moon, a raven, viking ship, the forest, etc... all one big artistic scene. I love it too, because I helped design it. 

I do find it funny that some folks think that tattoo's aren't "art", or it sounds wild to spend that much money on something so permanent, yet those same folks have $20,000 worth of guns in their safe, half of which they almost never shoot lol. 

If there was ever a group of people that gets demonized, trash talked, and looked down upon, it's definitely the firearm community. The rare Colt Gen 1 that you look at with "artistic" eyes and think is just so beautiful, someone else thinks is a dangerous and reckless hunk of metal that should be destroyed. I'd hope most in the firearm community would understand someone with tattoos over most communities. 

Like many have said, to each their own. Some of you old guys need to get with the times! hahaha 

I promise you some of the "scary" tatted up people are actually really nice people. You'd be surprised how many tattoo artists are gun people. 

Archived