SASS Wire Forum

Tattoos?

Tattoos.

For years, my goofy wife and her crazy friend joke about opening a topless tattoo parlor.  They say they are going to call it, "TATTOOTERS."

Now neither of these women have a tattoo, or ever intend to get a tattoo.  Neither will I.

But, I just don't understand why folks get tattoos?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two tattoos. A pelican on my right upper arm and an anchor on my left forearm. 

I got the pelican when I was in the Navy in 1980. 
I got the anchor a couple of years ago. 
At some point I plan to get a few Swallows and a sea turtle. Each swallow will indicate every 5000 miles I traveled aboard ship and the turtle is to indicate that I am a Shellback. 

CEDEAD64-3AA5-4B43-8511-4824D4A6F05C.thumb.jpeg.4ca60a5f6b4b88aae99a811c4d191cfa.jpeg

4EE7D29C-7505-49BF-B0DF-E1DC65360D82.thumb.jpeg.4f351d393ed9f24d81966370fef5949f.jpeg

Never saw a good reason for poking a bunch of holes in a perfectly good hide           GW

Each person has their own reasons for getting tattoos. Some are to remember/honor a person, place or event. Some are just into "skin art". Way too many reasons for me to try to figure out. I have never thought of anything that I wanted to have on my body permanently. I do not like tattoos on women, to me that is a turn off. Each to their own though.

Growing up, every single time I got sick, and mom took me to the doctor, I got a shot in the rump with a needle that I think they also used at the high school to inflate footballs, and basketballs. It felt as big as a number 3 pencil going in.

Since those thrilling days of yesteryear, I have had a dread of needles, akin to paranoia.

I guess that's why I made it though the Navy without getting any tattoos. 

I was more apprehensive of doing that, than I was of getting shot, when I was overseas, on a shore station, or in the jungle. 

Maybe if they could use an ink pen, I might want one. 

I also must say that while in the Navy, I got an inoculation with an air gun, instead of a needle. I looked down, and blood was running down my arm.

They said "sorry we had the pressure up too high". I sort of figured that, from looking at the results, and from it feeling like they had shot a bolt, from a cross-bow, through my arm.

Tats are interesting, though. I appreciate the art work, and the design, and the message, if any, that it conveys. 

W.K.   

42 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

4EE7D29C-7505-49BF-B0DF-E1DC65360D82.thumb.jpeg.4f351d393ed9f24d81966370fef5949f.jpeg

Well Pat... are ye a fan of Spinach~?  ^_^

Then we have the tattoo "artist" with no artistic ability. The guy writing something who can't spell. The Japanese or Chinese calligraphy or the Arabic or Sanskrit, that is put on backwards, or upside down, because the tattooer doesn't know what the hell he's doing, and the sucker getting jabbed doesn't know either.

I know a young lady that got a dragonfly. Have you ever seen a dragonfly with curved wings? Look at her back. And she wanted an "aura" around it. So the tattooer put a colored boundary around the dragonfly with the curved wings. It's the exact shade of a day old bruise. It looks like she caught a line drive from a softball in the middle of the back.

Alpo, my funniest tattoo story is of a lady I worked with got a rose tattoo on her breast somewhere below the bra line.  She was showing it to the other ladies at work.  One of the older ladies she showed her rose tattoo to looked at it and said, "Well, that's pretty, but in 25 years that's going to be a lo-o-ng stem rose!" :lol:

I worked with an older man (in his mid-60's at the time) at Sportsman's Warehouse about ten years ago, who had an odd fetish with Tinker Bell. He had Tinker Bell seat covers, floor mats, and steering wheel cover in his truck, a Tinker Bell wallet, and other things. One day he went to a tattoo parlor and got a big Tinker Bell tattoo on his chest. Weird. Oh, he's been married for 30 years or so too. To a woman.

Guys with tattoos are chick magnets, just like this guy.

DFEF9BBF-4CEB-4D41-865D-95B2CC399FB3.jpeg

i never considered desecrating the skin that God gave me - i look at it a bit like a brand in that its pretty permanent and ive got enough scars that are permanent , but ........i do understand the service tattoos , i do get it that some want to make a statement , just never saw the need in my life , i have noted that what once in young life looked cool might be real unpleasant in later life 

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am 60. I do not regret it. 
Heck, I plan to get more once this silliness passes. 

Chick Magnet.:P

2 hours ago, Pulp, SASS#28319 said:

If, and that’s a huge if, I ever got one It would be an outline of Oklahoma, with a heart on the inside and tree roots come out the bottom.

Or a full scale Colt Walker :)

A lady who works at my CVS Pharmacy has a 1/2 scale Paterson Colt on one arm and a 1911 on the other.  Both are photo quality jobs and two of the only tats that I ever admired.

I got one when  was ten years old and had no say in the matter.  Over the years it has faded almost entirely.

5 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Guys with tattoos are chick magnets, just like this guy.

DFEF9BBF-4CEB-4D41-865D-95B2CC399FB3.jpeg

I have the distinct picture of a radiologist telling all his friends "come on down to my area. We going to do an emergency MRI that's gonna be a blast."

Well, you can tell that the guy in the picture does not have a girlfriend.

CatBrules 14086

1 hour ago, Noz said:

I have the distinct picture of a radiologist telling all his friends "come on down to my area. We going to do an emergency MRI that's gonna be a blast."

Whats with the bumps of horns in his head? What a freak!:blink:

Each to their own, personally I love em' & that's why I've got  a few !! . I like to have my own designs & I'm certainly not worried what they look like when I'm older, heck my 68th is just round the corner & they are holding up ok..I will probably get some more at some time.

Tattoos & Mohawk was pretty simple to come up with an Alias.

I take a different perspective. Tattoos have been around as long as society has. In native american culture, tattoos were done for many reasons:

-after a battle, to commemorate victory

-tribe markers to signify allegiance

-mystical or legendary symbols or subject matter, believed to impart spiritual or supernatural powers

-an animal whose strength they wanted to emulate

I personally only have one - its something my grandmother used to say to me growing up, 'sorridi alla cattiva sorte', or 'smile in the face of adversity'. She was a Libyan refugee in WW2 who fled to Sicily during the invasion. Its on the inside of my left bicep, so nobody sees it unless I choose to show it. But I know it's there and it makes me feel closer to her and my heritage.

I do get asked once in a while, "so what made you want to permanently ruin your skin?" My response is always the same, there are 1,000 reasons to do (or not do) something, and that's where I value freedom of choice. 

For some, it's always been a fantasy to have a Tattoo of their own! :P

51Hj9ShezHL._AC_.jpg.71cec4d9b0c0a451c04af6d65c6d2bc7.jpg

Different generations see tattoos differently.  I'm at the tail end of Generation X.  When I was in college, it was seen as cool to get a tattoo.  Women got those "tramp stamps" that I have no doubt they are regretting right now.  My parents' generation thought anyone with a tattoo was a dirtbag or criminal.  The younger generation just sees them as "body art."

I have one on the back side of my shoulder blade.  It's a bald eagle with a red, white, and blue shield in front of him, and a scroll in his talons that says, "United States of America."  Let's just say I'm so patriotic I make George Washington look like a communist.

I've always wanted to get another one directly on my backside that looks like a rubber stamp and says, "Property US Government."

:)

I can't remember who the comedian was, but one of them said:

"A beard and sleeve tattoos used to mean you were a badass biker or a sailor. Now it means you make a mean macchiato at Starbucks!" LOL

14 minutes ago, Ted Forrester said:

I can't remember who the comedian was, but one of them said:

"A beard and sleeve tattoos used to mean you were a badass biker or a sailor. Now it means you make a mean macchiato at Starbucks!" LOL

Things change, when I used to live in Ca I had some experiences with Harley bikers . When I first moved to WI I was on my way to a sporting clays shoot and stopped for breakfast when about 20 Harleys pulled in . The first thing I was thinking was the quickest way to the guns in my truck . But the people getting off of these Harley's were vastly different from the ones I was used to . Then as soon as I heard them talk I knew they were definitely different from what I was used to 

Hells Angles vs Wild Hogs :) 

Archived