SASS Wire Forum

Little known "Must Own" music albums

Chantry

'The Great Summit: The Master Takes' Duke Ellington & Louis Armstrong, their only studio recording together and it's fantastic

'It Might As Well Be Swing' Frank Sinatra & the Count Basie Orchestra, conducted by Quincy Jones.  Frank sounds great, great song selection and Count Basie & Orchestra were also great.

'The Blues is Alive and Well'  Buddy Guy.  Recorded when he was 82 years old, a lot of musicians wish they sounded that good at any age.

'Brothers in Arms' Dire Straits, "Money for Nothing' is a great satire of the beginning years of MTV and the title track is arguably the best song I've ever heard about soldiers during war.

'Live at the Cafe Au Go Go (And Soledad Prison) John Lee Hooker.  Just wow

'American IV: The Man Comes Around' Johnny Cash.  He was in poor health for multiple reasons and his voice wasn't what it used to be, but instead of that being a weakness, Johnny used it to deliver a lot of emotion in the songs he sang. 

"Lost on the River'  The New Basement Tapes.  A group of musicians recruited by producer T-Burn Burnett to finish and record some previously unpublished Bob Dylan songs written in 1967 while he was recording of his 1975 album with The Band, The Basement Tapes.

"Praise and Blame'  Tom Jones.  So not the Tom Jones of the 1960's or 1970's.  Sings largely little known devotional and gospel covers.  The cover of John Lee Hooker's 'Burning Hell' is incredible. 

On edit:  Songs from most, if not all, of the albums above I listed above can be found on Youtube

You nailed it with "It Might as Well be Swing". One of my favorites.

:D

“The Music from Peter Gunn” composed and conducted by Henry Mancini. 
I just love this music. This coming from a guy that loves Heavy Metal. 

Brothers in Arms' Dire Straits, "Money for Nothing' is a great satire of the beginning years of MTV and the title track is arguably the best song I've ever heard about soldiers during war.

Agreed. And it’s a great album overall.

I tell trumpet students to get Arturo Sandoval's Trumpet Evolution, Rafael Mendez's Collection 1, Chuck Mangione At the Hollywood Bowl Live and Chris Botti Live in Boston.

Outside of that, I like them albums like Styx Paradise, Boston's first three and Dark Side of the Moon.

9 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

While stationed in S. Korea, one of the guys in the hootch played this little known album on his reel-to-reel every night at lights out.  I still listen to it often.

BQ,

I still have several of the Mystic Moods albums in vinyl. :wub:

Tom, interesting you would mention Rafael Mendez.  I was a HUGE fan. Started College on a trumpet music scholarship.  Soon changed to chemistry though. My auditions for the scholarship I played some of his stuff.  His "flight of the bumble bee"  has never been equaled.

Flying fingers and an amazing lip! Between him and Harry James, the "Flight" is dang near impossible to master any better. I believe Raf was an Olds ambassador, there was a model horn named after him,I think. I have an Olds circa 1972, a "Custom Crafted" with a .462 bore that I love the sound of when I've got enough lip. Haven't been able to play for several years now due to missing teeth and not enough dental coverage:blink::(

Archived