SASS Wire Forum

First BP pistol

Lunger Dan

So I ordered and got my first BP pistol...Pietta 1860 sherrif...
After reading and reading on the internet before and after ordering-I was convinced that the gun would blow up and lock up never again to be moved as soon as I opened the box and looked at it...I read that I had to do 20 things and buy 20 parts before it was even usable, then it would shoot birds out of the sky when I aimed at a snake in the grass...

Well...the gun Midaway sent me is marked 2021..whcih I take to mean it was produced just this year...the bolt cylinder stop fit into the cylinder notches perfectly like goldilocks-not to tight, not too loose-just right (micrometer readings also)
Took it apart to "smoooth" things like Larceny Pettifogger?s  guide....needed very little at all
Didnt change any springs out for others and it all felt nice and smooth

After doing all this for a week before shooting it today, I figured the big disappointment was coming at my first rounds through it...
Everything worked perfectly...no misfires, no blowing up, no birds killed...

24 grains of scheutzen FFG, cci # 10 caps (which fit the pietta stock nipples fine) , .454 ball and some homemade cork grease wads...

Only shot about 6" high at 20'.

I dunno..maybe I got real lucky...maybe 2021 is a good year for Pietta- but I'll tell you what-none of the apocalypse prognosticators on the various forums was correct-it was fine right out of the box...

And I had a blast..wish I had brouht more than 2 ozs of powder!

IMG_4399.JPG

IMG_4401.JPG

IMG_4400.JPG

Great start!   Looks like minute of cowboy.  

Now wash it out good and give it a coat of Bore Butter (or equivalent).  Make sure to remove the nipples when you wash the cylinder out.  Put some kind of grease on the nipple threads when putting them back in.  I use Outers choke tube grease.  

Great looking gun! Congrats. So much fun, these are.

I got some of the  T17 all natural 1000 plus   and Balistol ( had plenty)   Washed cylinder, barrel, nipps, in warm soapy water, the drowned in ballistol then sopped up all the ballistol and used the grease on arbor and nip threads. 

Forgot to add that my homemade grease is pink...I mixed crisco and bees wax and asked daughter for a crayon-she gave me pink

14 minutes ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

You do need another one. You should always buy pistols in matched sets.  :P

Frontiersman category is calling.

Hogleg

Wisdom spoken. ;)

1 hour ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

You do need another one. You should always buy pistols in matched sets.  :P

Frontiersman category is calling.

Hogleg

At least the Plainsman side match is calling.  I find cap and ball revolvers quite accurate.  Persons shooting metallic cartridge revolvers don't believe me.

You’re standing at the abyss and are getting ready to go down the rabbit hole ;)  Before you know it you’ll be gettin all smokey, cursing like a drunk Sailor at the guns and generally having a great time.  Hope you’re able to get a ‘nother one and join the party.

10 hours ago, Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409 said:

Lunger,

If you want to shoot frontiersman for the NC state shoot I will be happy to bring an extra for you to use. Just let me know.

Hochbauer

Thank you, but I doubt I'll ever get to a state match....I've never been anywhere besides my local monthlies. Not that I wouldnt like to...just logistics between work, nighttime breathing ,  funds...well, maybe someday.

Start using it in those monthlies as a replacement for one of your cartridge revolvers.  (cuts down the number of primers you use up during the match, if you need an excuse!).  Cap and ball revolvers are legal in every category.  Might as well get used to it in competition.  Hope your good luck with it continues.

Get a small wooden dowel rod, from one of the home improvement stores. 

When you seat your caps on the cones (nipples), then use the wooden dowel to gently push the caps, to make sure they are fully seated on the cone.

You do not want your caps to be loose, or not fully seated.

Do NOT use your thumb, or finger, to do this. If you do, it could have a really unpleasant effect. You know, or should know, that Murphey's law says that whatever can happen, is likely to happen. So, better safe than sorry. 

But, after all...it is your thumb. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

I could swear those look like Navy size grips??  Get the second one matched to the first, it will help you avoid developing a limp.  I recently bought a new C&B (Dragoon) but fear it will be a bit heavy for a holster pistol!  Anyone know what size ball a Uberti Dragoon would prefer?

Congrats!  I have Pietta 1851 and 1860...both shoot more accurately, though higher, than my Uberti 45 Colt revolvers.

The pic below is my 1860 with 28 gr Goex FFFg and .454 ball, shot at 15 YARDS with a rest.

Pietta 1860 with target.JPG

15 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

I could swear those look like Navy size grips??  Get the second one matched to the first, it will help you avoid developing a limp.  I recently bought a new C&B (Dragoon) but fear it will be a bit heavy for a holster pistol!  Anyone know what size ball a Uberti Dragoon would prefer?

The "sheriffs" model 1860 by oietta does use navy size grips

14 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Congrats!  I have Pietta 1851 and 1860...both shoot more accurately, though higher, than my Uberti 45 Colt revolvers.

The pic below is my 1860 with 28 gr Goex FFFg and .454 ball, shot at 15 YARDS with a rest.

Pietta 1860 with target.JPG

Damn!

Now thats fine!

On 4/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Should be .457

kR

C&B guns can shoot.  15-20 years ago my son and a friend were shooting their wonder nines talking about how good their shotgun pattern shooting was. :D I stepped out of the house with one of my Uberti 1851 Navy .36 pistols :wub: and shoot their target, 5 rounds in a cloverleaf at 25 yards, I never said a word just went back to the house.  The boys stoped shooting and never asked me to shoot with them again.  :D:D Just happy they never ask me to do it again as the gun norm was 3" at 25 yards off the bench.  Have been shooting C&B for 64 years starting with an 1860 Army that a neighbors grandpa used in the states rights issue of the 1860's..  He wore blue till a miniball hit his side.

Wait till you get your next one .

They start to breed in the safe.

IMG_20180106_223826_087.jpg.47e5a3024fad635ae878722bf4c216d0.jpg

Seems as I remember buying two Colt style C&B revolvers from Dixie Gun Works back in the sixties as my first ever BP purchase.  Could not tell you who made them, or anything else, other than they were the pretties guns I ever saw!  After I got past the CW craze I moved on to Mountain Man, etc etc but my love of the old C&B revolvers has lasted.

4 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Wait till you get your next one .

They start to breed in the safe.

IMG_20180106_223826_087.jpg.47e5a3024fad635ae878722bf4c216d0.jpg

It was my understanding that they needed to be in even pairs... You're short one! ;)

11 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

It was my understanding that they needed to be in even pairs... You're short one! ;)

They are pairs .

The little one is a backup shoulder holster gun. 

Kinda like a hide out !

Archived