SASS Wire Forum

A New "Thing" Here

Calamity Kris

Out here we have a lot of similar trucks. All the latest lift and off road gear yet they never see dirt, rocks or mud. They might get dusty though. 

To me it’s like buying a 4 bedroom house with a pool and all the amenities and spending all your time in the kitchen and one bathroom. 

33 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

'Splain please...:huh:

Lifted diesel dulies with huge rims.  (the rims alone on the first picture are the size of the door, minus window, of the truck in front of it.)  As these vehicles sit, they defeat the purpose of buying a duly, to haul heavy stuff.  On top of that, the fuel consumption to drive that monster around town has to be incredible.

I don't get why you would do this.  Not my money, not my problem but is does make one scratch their heads.

Lordy I hate those things.  Not so much for off-road stuff, but the vast majority of 'em - around these parts, anyway - never see the end of the blacktop.

The characters who drive 'em here 'bouts are damned inconsiderate.  Very often they'll have unintelligible sound (can't call it "music") blaring from hidden speakers, with bass so powerful it literally will rattle my dishes as they barrel on past.  Mud and snow tires (that seldom, if ever, see either mud or snow) that sound like amplified sails ripping in a gale.  And elevated headlights that blind me even in my fairly tall Dodge pickup - and are horrifying when I'm in the Miata.  Just last night I nearly went off the road when one of these clods drove toward me.  Not only were his headlights elevated, but he had stacked light bars on his grille, turning the entire roadway into daylight with me staring into the sun.

But the worst of all is the effect in an accident - these behemoths can literally run right over a small passenger vehicle.  I once had a "front-row seat" and watched a fella in a "lifted" station wagon (not even a truck!) run over a little sports car.  Sports car was stopped at a red light, the clod in the station wagon missed his turn and ran right over the car.  The young lady in the passenger seat was decapitated.  But hey... I guess the clod felt he looked cool.  <_<

16 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Lordy I hate those things.  Not so much for off-road stuff, but the vast majority of 'em - around these parts, anyway - never see the end of the blacktop.

The characters who drive 'em here 'bouts are damned inconsiderate.  Very often they'll have unintelligible sound (can't call it "music") blaring from hidden speakers, with bass so powerful it literally will rattle my dishes as they barrel on past.  Mud and snow tires (that seldom, if ever, see either mud or snow) that sound like amplified sails ripping in a gale.  And elevated headlights that blind me even in my fairly tall Dodge pickup - and are horrifying when I'm in the Miata.  Just last night I nearly went off the road when one of these clods drove toward me.  Not only were his headlights elevated, but he had stacked light bars on his grille, turning the entire roadway into daylight with me staring into the sun.

But the worst of all is the effect in an accident - these behemoths can literally run right over a small passenger vehicle.  I once had a "front-row seat" and watched a fella in a "lifted" station wagon (not even a truck!) run over a little sports car.  Sports car was stopped at a red light, the clod in the station wagon missed his turn and ran right over the car.  The young lady in the passenger seat was decapitated.  But hey... I guess the clod felt he looked cool.  <_<

I cannot believe how many times I have asked some Nimrod in a truck like this if they thought to readjust their headlights after lifting their truck and to a man the answer was “No” followed by a look of confusion. Then I say, “Yes, headlights are adjustable.”...morons. 

Years ago A friend of mine had a truck with an adjustable spotlight. We would drive around and deliberately flash the thing in their eyes, blinding them to a stop. Then, leaving the light on their face, get out of the truck and go have a word with him. If the guy gave us a difficult time and wanted to fight, he’d get the fight.   These people spend quite a bit of money preparing their vehicles like this. I don’t think they realize, at least at the beginning, but they are posing some element of danger to other people on the road.

CatBrules 14086

In this country, that vehicle would have great difficulty with non-compliance to the relevant laws ....

......... including the headlights and their adjustment   -_-

....and get laughed at ......  :rolleyes:

8 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

0-7.thumb.jpg.cfb7b5bb2423d62e67fa860c8d42d276.jpg0-6.thumb.jpg.9eeeef0d2afcf69f23cc29b984736469.jpg

......... I'm having difficulty determining  just who the greatest moron is; the vehicle owner, the accessories retailer/fitter, the accessories manufacturer, or the idiot who was stupid enough to dream them up in the first place .....   :unsure:

11 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

......... I'm having difficulty determining  just who the greatest moron is; the vehicle owner, the accessories retailer/fitter, the accessories manufacturer, or the idiot who was stupid enough to dream them up in the first place .....   :unsure:

That's easy, the vehicle owner. Everyone else was smart enough to discover a new way to separate a fool and his / her money.

7 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Lifted diesel dulies with huge rims.  (the rims alone on the first picture are the size of the door, minus window, of the truck in front of it.)  As these vehicles sit, they defeat the purpose of buying a duly, to haul heavy stuff.  On top of that, the fuel consumption to drive that monster around town has to be incredible.

I don't get why you would do this.  Not my money, not my problem but is does make one scratch their heads.

I thought YOU had done this!!!

Yup...I get ya!

No different than the new Corvette my neighbor bought. Racetrack performance and 180+ mph. Fortunately it will never see anything but suburban streets, since he lacks the training & skills it requires to take advantage its capabilities.  Looks like a Matchbox car IMHO. 

It makes him happy, so to each his own. 

15 hours ago, Singin&#x27; Sue 71615 said:

'Splain please...:huh:

A fool and his money is soon parted.

Fancy lift kit- and fancy rims and itty bitty tires that counteract any clearance gained by the lift kit.

As others have said, those are 4x4's that will never see a dirt road- much less a mud hole, desert trail or a rocky trail

7 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Mall crawlers :rolleyes:

OLG 

The second picture was taken in a mall parking lot.....:D

When my grandson was born (Tripler Army Hospital, the pink hospital on the hill at Pearl Harbor) my wife was beat-fist-on-pulpit, she-will-be-there-for-her-first-grandson's-birth!

(The stork had other ideas and we got there a week after the arrival)

The fad at that time, on the Big Island at least, was four wheel drive, mini trucks, mostly Toyotas if I recall correctly, all jacked up but without all the shiny bling, no chromed rims, just big tires and lift kits.

Scratched my head at that one.

I grew up in the Appalachian Ohio family oilfield, where roads were poor and ground clearance was King, where our prime mover was a WC Allis Chalmers tricycle front end until we got the A model John Deere!

With my background, my thoughts on seeing these genuine Hawaiian four-by's was much like unto the sentiments already stated here!

8 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Mall crawlers :rolleyes:

OLG 

Yep, that's what we call them around here. I've seen Subarus taken places these guys would be terrified to take their vehicles. 

Then you have the diesels that remove their particulate filters, EGR valve and what have you and make tons of black smoke. They call it "rolling coal" and it is not only a nuisance, it can be a danger as well. I'm not a violent man, but I've wanted to take a baseball bat to a few of these guys and their vehicles, after watching them blast pedestrians, bicyclists and others with smoke.

I try to be non-judgmental when people ask what others think of their vehicle builds, and avoid the "if it were mine, I would have..." In the case of many like these, I would have a hard time biting my tongue.

I know for a while one of the trends was to take a one ton with duals and lower it to a couple of inches off of the ground. 
Totally ruined what the truck was intended to do . Can’t imagine how much $$ people had wrapped up in them , just the original purchase is expensive 

Looks like a "little" compensation to me...

...I own a pickup because I *need* a pickup.  We haul a horse trailer around, and I go hunting and pack all my camping equipment, etc.  We also cut our own firewood and do most of our own home improvements.  In the city, most pickups are just status symbols or large sedans with an open trunk.  But I *need* a pickup for the lifestyle we live.  These guys are just building big toys to make up for something a bit smaller...

It has already been mentioned but all those lift kits do nothing to improve ground clearance.  Maroons.

Saw what looked like a local high school kid driving a late 90s pickup.  It had the appropriate amount of rust you'd expect from a truck that age in Wisconsin.  Road salt, donchaknow.   He had on the shiniest set of aluminum rims and low profile tires.  I though to myself, he just doubled the value of the truck by putting those tires on.

Finagler spoke of the "appropriate amount of rust" ... that brought a good laugh ... I've had trucks that were mostly holes held together by a delicate lacework of rust!

On 4/12/2021 at 11:37 AM, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Finagler spoke of the "appropriate amount of rust" ... that brought a good laugh ... I've had trucks that were mostly holes held together by a delicate lacework of rust!

My first two cars were Chicago rust buckets that cost a total of $350 for both!

Archived