SASS Wire Forum

Smith and wesson 1911 question

Trigger Mike

I just sold/traded one to buy a Colt. It was an E series stainless .45 great gun but I had to get the Colt.

My S&W 1911 has an external extractor - preferred by some.  I have a scandium alloy frame model.  These are comfortable to carry but unsuitable for competition as a steel frame absorbs recoil better.  My Kimber target model has a better trigger.  My S&W 1911 is my carry gun where I might encounter feral hogs or a bear.

14 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I've fired sig, kimber, colt and Wilson.  How does the smith and wesson compare?

Could you tell a difference between the Sig, Kimber, Colt or Wilson?

Shooting Sig and Colt 1911s, the only difference I can feel is the difference in the grips.  I doubt I could tell the difference between a Gov't model from each manufacturer if the grips/front-strap/back-strap were set up the same.

I have felt differences in the frame/slide fit between different manufacturers when racking the slide, as well as a difference in the trigger pull, but they've all felt the same when the pistol goes boom.

I definitely can tell the difference between them.  I was once a colt super fan until one day I fired a kimber, colt, Wilson and sig sauer all together and compared accuracy and performance.   The colt rattled and was loose compared to the others and the shot group was spread out.  The wilson controlled recoil better and topped them all .  The kimber and sig was fairly close, more accurate than the colt.  

The only 1911's I have shot are government issued in 1969-1971.  All were what I'd call knackered with minute of man accuracy at 7 yards.  In 2001 the misses want a 45 ACP compact pistol; so, we rented a Glock 36 & Kimber Ultra CDPII.  Needless to say she chose the Kimber which is only 2 OZ heavier than the Glock.  The Kimber with it's short 3.25" barrel is a tack driver.  Also even with it's shorter lighter slide, is easier to rack than the slide on my grandson's full size Kimber.

I have a Colt Government model Series 80 that is tight and accurate as any gun I’ve ever owned! Its about 3 yrs old. I just traded a SW 1911 for another Colt that’s about 10 years old, tight and accurate as all get out! I’ll take a Colt over. Kimber any day!

2 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I definitely can tell the difference between them.  I was once a colt super fan until one day I fired a kimber, colt, Wilson and sig sauer all together and compared accuracy and performance.   The colt rattled and was loose compared to the others and the shot group was spread out.  The wilson controlled recoil better and topped them all .  The kimber and sig was fairly close, more accurate than the colt.  

How old was the Colt compared to the others?

Archived