SASS Wire Forum

Take a Knee

Subdeacon Joe

I need cannon cocker help.  For the life of me I cannot remember the series of commands that tells a battery entering a new area to prepare for a fire mission.

1 hour ago, Noz said:

I need cannon cocker help.  For the life of me I cannot remember the series of commands that tells a battery entering a new area to prepare for a fire mission.

Sorry, can't help you there.  The only "batteries" I had anything to do with were all fixed in place, and all I and my team did was aim them, and make sure the capsule drivers had a green light on their launch panels!  Thankfully, we never had to fire any, except from California into the ocean.

One of my good friends recently retired as a marine LtCol. He had served one tour with a British marine  artillery unit in turkey. One of the Brits had something missing after a visit with Turkish troops. The Brit artillery marines recovered the missing items on their own!  My friend said American soldiers probably would have gotten in deep trouble for the methods the British marines used on our allies

10 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

All that Holy Black.

Imagine if they all fired at once!!

Years ago I was at the 125th anniversary of the Gettysburg battle. There were over 40 field pieces there. From Napoleons to Parrots to Ordnance Rifles. The artillery fired for several minutes before the ground assault. It was a humid day and the smoke stayed thick. All we could see was the dozens of battle flags above the cloud. Then there was only the sound of the drums of the advancing infantry coming up the slope.  Our Captain shouted “Here they come, boys”. Then close to 2,000 troops opened up with muskets. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and stayed that way long after it was over. I retired from re-enacting shortly after that because I figured that was as good as it gets.

39 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Years ago I was at the 125th anniversary of the Gettysburg battle. There were over 40 field pieces there. From Napoleons to Parrots to Ordnance Rifles. The artillery fired for several minutes before the ground assault. It was a humid day and the smoke stayed thick. All we could see was the dozens of battle flags above the cloud. Then there was only the sound of the drums of the advancing infantry coming up the slope.  Our Captain shouted “Here they come, boys”. Then close to 2,000 troops opened up with muskets. The hair stood up on the back of my neck, and stayed that way long after it was over. I retired from re-enacting shortly after that because I figured that was as good as it gets.

I was back there for the 145th.  First day we, being from California and, after all, what do Californians know about the Civil war? on the far left of the gun line.  Next day we got moved to the right end of the line because we knew what we were doing and, I guess, looked better than the crews from the eastern states who "know all about the Civil War."

It was quite impressive to see the smoke rolling out from the guns, about 100 on the Confederate gun line alone, especially with the opening fire by file from the right.  Very few misfires (it was a year when one of the main suppliers of friction primers had several bad batches and not everyone had found out that they needed to cut an X in the plug in the bottom of the friction primers).  Hot, humid, the "fog of war" clinging to the ground.  Then the infantry moved up, stopped, fired, and it looked like a roll of dirty cotton rolling across the field from several thousand muskets.

I had done some mental math somewhere in NE on I-80.  With the number of guns (total about 140), the number of infantry (total of about 10,000), and guesstimating how much powder each gun and infantryman had, there was something line 40,000# to 50,000# of powder there.  

Archived