SASS Wire Forum

Scored some percussion caps

Hogleg Hunter

Got 1,000 RWS caps from Buffalo Arms in Idaho. Price was higher than I liked but at least I got some. I'm going to save my Rem #10's for the major matches and experiment with these at the monthly matches.

IMG_20210410_175825.jpg

Colorado Coffinmaker,

Which nipples do these work best on?  My plan was to start experimenting with different guns/nipples until I found a combination that works.  Saving my Rem #10's for the major matches unless I find a way to make these work.

Hogleg

Hogleg -

You pose a very good question.  The RWS do not play well with Slix.  The play moderately well with OEM Pietta nipples.  I would not, however, want to rely on them for anything other than local play.  Not real Bueno with Ruger.  Can't comment on Uberti, no real encounter with OEM Uberti nipples.  

Did however, observe another shooter with an Uberti 1860 this past Saturday. He was only shooting one Cap Gun and it didn't run the entire stage.  Not one stage.  His were OEM nipples, I am unsure of which Caps.

I never had an issue using them.  On stock nipples, I had to squeeze a little to get them to stay on.  Never had a fail to fire.  On my 58's and ROA with Slix nipples, had no issues at all and I didn't have to squeeze them to fit, again your mileage may vary.  Only reason I stopped using them were for the reason you mentioned, price.

Finally loaded up a Pietta cap gun to try out the RWS caps. They wouldn't hardly fit on the Slixshot nipples. Only one fired the first time around. Tried another cylinder with caps only. Same problems. The caps were all pressed on with an antler tip so they were on as far as I dared.

Next I tried them (caps only) on a Umberto 1862 New Police with Slixshot nipples. Didn't work any better.

I then switched to the stock Pietta nipples. I had to pinch them stay on. Still had failures to fire. An interesting side note is that after ignition 2 caps stayed on the nipples but blew out the top of the cap. This was with caps only so I don't if a loaded cylinder would do the same thing.

My tablet wouldn't focus close so you may not be able to see much but the dark area is the blown out top. Looked like someone had opened a soup can.

IMG_20210416_140235.thumb.jpg.ffb3ee10ab8b9aac98e3e2741c37fb9a.jpgIMG_20210416_140256.thumb.jpg.ef6ea64461e5557997d4b1651b59e853.jpg

1 hour ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

Finally loaded up a Pietta cap gun to try out the RWS caps. They wouldn't hardly fit on the Slixshot nipples. Only one fired the first time around. Tried another cylinder with caps only. Same problems. The caps were all pressed on with an antler tip so they were on as far as I dared.

Next I tried them (caps only) on a Umberto 1862 New Police with Slixshot nipples. Didn't work any better.

I then switched to the stock Pietta nipples. I had to pinch them stay on. Still had failures to fire. An interesting side note is that after ignition 2 caps stayed on the nipples but blew out the top of the cap. This was with caps only so I don't if a loaded cylinder would do the same thing.

My tablet wouldn't focus close so you may not be able to see much but the dark area is the blown out top. Looked like someone had opened a soup can.

IMG_20210416_140235.thumb.jpg.ffb3ee10ab8b9aac98e3e2741c37fb9a.jpgIMG_20210416_140256.thumb.jpg.ef6ea64461e5557997d4b1651b59e853.jpg

That is very disappointing. I bought some a while back in hopes they would work until Remington No. 10s could be had again. I haven't had the opportunity to test them.

I needed to do some more experimenting but it started raining, again.

Considering that the caps were loose, it makes no sense that they would not fire the first time around with stock nipples. If the cylinder was loaded I would think that the caps were backing off from recoil, but with just caps I'm baffled.

I'm going to try to find the stock Uberti nipples to see if they will work with those. Might have to re-read Mako's article.

Hogleg

Scored 2 tins of CCI  #11's today. All it took me was a 3 hour round trip to Savannah, GA, $10 admission to the gun show (with military discount), and 2.5 hours trudging around the convention center.  

Now the experimenting can begin. RWS & CCI caps, and stock, Slixshot and Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek nipples. Hopefully I can find a winning combination that will work in my cap guns.

Hogleg

Archived