Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

For about the last month I’ve had this lack of desire to leave our property. If forced to I’ll go to the post office or bank but it seems like now it’s more of a chore. I used to enjoy a run into the hardware store or somewhere down the hill in San Marcos or Escondido but any more I can’t even bring myself to shoot a CAS match. The Kalifornia State Championship is this weekend up at RR Bar and I had no desire to attend. I’ve got three carts in the works now after delivering one on Thursday and I used the workload as an excuse to not go. I would normally shoot 3,4,5 matches a month but anymore I have no desire to drive to a match or associate with the people there, I’d rather be by myself and with my wife. Anyone else experiencing the same? Any hints as to how to change it? My wife wanted to go out to eat tonight, something we’ve hardly done over the past year or so and I just don’t feel like being around people, especially those that I don’t know.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sheesh... and I thought it was just me.  :huh:

 

I think I'm morphing into a hermit~!    Hermit.thumb.jpg.b975cca440e9f0db64d4bfcc4167216b.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was rather enjoying it. Last year this time there was almost no traffic on the roads.  As long as you were not shopping for toilet paper,   stores were not crowded.  Restaurants almost empty. Gas was much lower. Now the traffic is heavy, gas prices up and crowds out everywhere.  

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We haven’t been totally LOCKED down here in Ohio so I’ve been going shopping, the mall in bad weather for walks and the local indoor shooting range. I’ve also been working part time for the whole year. I can’t sit home I have to get out everyday for a while!

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess that it's a pretty common feeling for lots of folks, especially the older part of the population.   If everything that has happened in the last year hasn't had, to a greater or lesser extent, an impact on the populace, it wouldn't be normal.  With all the cautionary stories in the media, friends and colleagues, I think most people share your feelings, again to a greater or lesser extent. 

 

I went to my first CAS match since October 2019 last weekend and would have gone to one today, but I was waiting on a guy to stop by and give me an estimate on a painting job.  There's another CAS match next weekend and I'll be going to that.  It seems to me that the best way to proceed is to start doing one thing at a time and slowly ease oneself into going out in public.  Many stores are still not crowded, especially during the work week and going to the post office, for example, is a simple chore that doesn't take a lot of time.  I haven't gone into any restaurants to eat, although I have stopped in to a few to pick up take out orders.  I'll wait until the weather warms up a bit more and then try outdoor dining.   It seems to me that a little at a time is the best way to proceed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yul, I understand the feeling.  Be cautious that depression doesn’t set in on you.  Seriously, the best remedy is to force yourself to be around some like minded friends.  A Cowboy match would be a great place to be, ESPECIALLY the people! 

I’m not much for public crowded places either, but really do something to socialize with friends face to face! The change in your mood will get better. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

You just described me to a T. I'd rather just stay home or go to the cabin and hang out. Went to a shoot last weekend and had a great time but it was a chore to make myself go.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

We haven’t been totally licked down here in Ohio so I’ve been going shopping, the mall in bad weather for walks and the local indoor shooting range. I’ve also been working part time for the whole year. I can’t sit home I have to get out everyday for a while!

Tell me about this “licking” thing, I might leave the house for that.:P

Edited by Yul Lose
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11
Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

For about the last month I’ve had this lack of desire to leave our property. If forced to I’ll go to the post office or bank but it seems like now it’s more of a chore. I used to enjoy a run into the hardware store or somewhere down the hill in San Marcos or Escondido but any more I can’t even bring myself to shoot a CAS match. The Kalifornia State Championship is this weekend up at RR Bar and I had no desire to attend. I’ve got three carts in the works now after delivering one on Thursday and I used the workload as an excuse to not go. I would normally shoot 3,4,5 matches a month but anymore I have no desire to drive to a match or associate with the people there, I’d rather be by myself and with my wife. Anyone else experiencing the same? Any hints as to how to change it? My wife wanted to go out to eat tonight, something we’ve hardly done over the past year or so and I just don’t feel like being around people, especially those that I don’t know.

 

It's less a Covid thing and more a function of being at home all the time, Covid just happened to be the thing that triggered it for you.  I've been a full time work from home since 2008 and even before Covid I noticed a decrease in the urge to go places.  I've always been an introvert, so that is part of the issue for me, but if I go to a SASS match, skeet, falling plate match or even the used bookstore, I usually have fun and enjoy myself.   The biggest hurtle is to get myself to go, once I'm past that everything is fine.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I still wanna go!!  Just booked three new gigs for the band. I have several projects in the shop that require me to go and get pieces and parts.  I like to get out for a meal that neither of us has to cook and often join another couple for a meal. The theaters are opening back up, so a movie with friends is again a possibility.

 

 The biggest drawback now is that I just spent nearly a week in the hospital with another damned infection and some needed surgery, so I have to ride that damned knee scooter around until I get released to put weight on the bad foot!!

 

That’s what has kept me from getting to the range for a match!!  Now I gotta miss the Kentucky State Match entirely!!  Two years since I shot a whole match!! THAT SUCKS!!!

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 3
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

Tell me about this “licking” thing, I might leave the house for that.:P

Okay I have to go back and edit that but your response was pretty funny:lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've never been a fan of crowds. if you don't want me someplace, tell me there will be a lot of people there.:P And as a truck driver the lack of traffic didn't bother me. But I'll be D***ED if I'll let something like the China Virus put me down. :angry: 

 

Ever since I got back from my year long vacation to 'lower-right' Asia I've not liked large gatherings.  that was in '71 so I've learned to "become one with the suck"

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to second what @Renegade Plowboysaid about depression and even pushing yourself to go. It's also no embarrassment to seek a little more professional help to bounce things off of to keep things on an even keel.

 

People are often surprised when I say I'm an introvert. I've even be labeled what is called an "extroverted introvert." Yes, that's an actual thing. I'm planning on shooting a match tomorrow. Here's the thing, for me to shoot a match, I have to really push myself out the door. Once I'm there, I enjoy the shooting, and yes, the people. But by the end, I am mentally and emotionally exhausted from the interaction more than physically from the effort. Being around all but a select few people drains me in ways that non-introverts don't really seem to understand. But I find, and here I hope is the tie in for you, that if I don't make that effort to go to the match, go to karate, or whatever, I can become depressed.

 

As @Rye Miles #13621said, we haven't been licked... I mean locked down so much here in Ohio, so I have still gotten out. But I have enjoyed the time where it hasn't been expected of me too. Especially with the additional issues I've dealt with.

Edited by DocWard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chantry said:

 

It's less a Covid thing and more a function of being at home all the time, Covid just happened to be the thing that triggered it for you.  I've been a full time work from home since 2008 and even before Covid I noticed a decrease in the urge to go places.  I've always been an introvert, so that is part of the issue for me, but if I go to a SASS match, skeet, falling plate match or even the used bookstore, I usually have fun and enjoy myself.   The biggest hurtle is to get myself to go, once I'm past that everything is fine.

 

I’ve always been a fairly social person and really enjoyed the people aspect of CAS. I enjoyed sparking spontaneous conversations with people I’ve never talked to before, ask anyone that passed through the gate at EOT over the years. I used to really look forward to my trips to the hardwood lumber store and to the tropical exotic hardwood store over in Carlsbad but anymore I just can’t seem to make the trip. I haven’t had to put gas in my truck now in nearly a month. There also seems to be a good deal of anger or belligerence out in public these days that wasn’t there or I didn’t pay any attention to before, maybe it’s the whole mask thing.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

19 years as a Public Servant followed by 27 years in a service industry I’m perfectly happy in retirement as a hermit.  

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always been an introverted hermit.  Now that it’s fashionable, I may have to become sociable!

 

:ph34r:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ve always been a fairly social person and really enjoyed the people aspect of CAS. I enjoyed sparking spontaneous conversations with people I’ve never talked to before, ask anyone that passed through the gate at EOT over the years. I used to really look forward to my trips to the hardwood lumber store and to the tropical exotic hardwood store over in Carlsbad but anymore I just can’t seem to make the trip. I haven’t had to put gas in my truck now in nearly a month. There also seems to be a good deal of anger or belligerence out in public these days that wasn’t there or I didn’t pay any attention to before, maybe it’s the whole mask thing.

You nailed it.

#1...depression is here. I don't want to go out and deal with a mask, nor people and their attitudes. (Yet, in Texas and Arizona this past year, where folks did not stop you and FORCE a mask, ppl still said "hello" and "excuse me"...I had no issues of wanting to go out.

#2...I come home angry most trips out from the experience of endless masked faces, no smiles, no conversations...nor reaching out and touching someones arm, or hugging one you haven't seen in a bit. (Although I reached out and hugged a complete stranger at the vet this week, as she had just said goodbye to her fur baby! Screw the rules!)

I am seeing more folks who feel like I do, not wearing the mask, and living life...and I am starting to feel better about going out.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think y’all missed my point!!!

 

MAN!!! I HATE seeing those sad faces at the bottom of my posts when I’m doing so well!!  Some form of encouragement would work SO much better!

 

Here I am saying how good it feels to be getting out and getting better and y’all are feeling sorry for me??

 

C’MON!!  A smile or a like would go so much further!!

 

So many folks are shutting themselves in and hiding from life and others CAN’T get out and go!!!

 

 I’m trying to let people know that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel!!  Grab yourselves by the seat of the pants and toss your asses out the door!!  Grab a handful of daylight and take a bite outta’ life!!  It won’t last forever and ya’s better make the most of it while you are able!!!

 

I’ll get back to shooting soon enough! :lol: B)

 

 

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy being with people if I know them or have some connection.  I don't enjoy large, noisy, rude crowds.

 

I am, and always have been, comfortable being by myself....well, me and my dog....but I still get out a bit.  Went shooting today and there were only five people shooting at the range.  Three at the handgun end and two on the 100 yard rifle end.  Four folks working the office and range positions. 

Edited by Forty Rod SASS 3935
Link to post
Share on other sites

Our home sits on top of an Ozark hill looking down on US Bus. Hwy 60 where the mailbox is.  I sit and look down at the highway and find my self thinking: "I didn't leave  anything down there so I have no reason to go down there."

Physical infirmities have limited my ability to roam around.  I have shot one complete 6 stage match in the last 2 years.  The China virus has prevented the surgery that would make day to day easier.  

One of these days?:unsure:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Noz said:

 I have shot one complete 6 stage match in the last 2 years.  The China virus has prevented the surgery that would make day to day easier.  

One of these days?:unsure:

 

There ya’ go!!  Right there!!

 

“One of these days,” says it all!!

 

You won’t be satisfied to sit and watch the world go by for long!!  “One of these days,” you’re gonna kick the door down and stomp those boots on and go see what you’ve been missing!! ;) B) :lol:

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

My huge distaste for crowds was acquired in 1969... when I was shooting the Altamont Rolling Stones concert.
I dropped my 105mm lens and was crawling on hands and knees through that crowd in front of the stage, trying to find it.
I gave up, and crawled under the raised stage where I wasn't touching other people.
My girlfriend was already under there, and she had my 105mm lens.
This was the only place we could reach out, and not touch somebody else.

Today, I find myself rationalizing endless reasons to avoid going out.
There are just too damn many people, too many cars, too much crime.. it's all just "too much".
We had thought about moving permanently to the beach house in San Diego.. but that is waaay... "too much" already.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much like I’ve always felt anyway. Never been to a rock concert. I leave the property about once a week. Works for me.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy going out. I almost always eat lunch at a restaurant when I do. BJs on my Costco trips; El Torero on my Walmart/Safeway trips. The eating out, without a mask seems almost like things were before Covid. At both of those places, I sit at the bar. People are friendly and talkative.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Pretty much like I’ve always felt anyway. Never been to a rock concert. I leave the property about once a week. Works for me.

I feel that way about the 'valley'...

The pines, the wildlife, the quiet...

And like minded people...

The 'others' tend to stay in their routine, and I stay away from those areas!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Yul Lose Did you know that it took me something like 3 matches at Cajon to get up the gumption to walk up and say howdy even though you were one of the first ones to welcome me here on the wire?

I completely understand what @DocWard is talking about. I pretty much lived a Covid lifestyle before it was a thing. I was introduced into CAS the October before things went sideways and was hooked, but if my friend hadn't been picking me up and taking me to matches, I might of just let it slide.

Covid went into full swing and my pard had to take a break for medical reasons, so I had to push myself to go by myself. I enjoy being out and interacting with everyone, but I still find me being a bit socially awkward. It is what it is for me.

I do have to admit that I get a kick from walking into the local StopN'Rob in cavalry gear after a match and seeing folks expressions. 

I suppose there's a purpose to my ramblings, but I think I might of lost track of it. Maybe it's just to say that you aren't alone in how ya feel. 

Or maybe you are alone, but if you get out the door you won't be. :D

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

You nailed it.

#1...depression is here. I don't want to go out and deal with a mask, nor people and their attitudes. (Yet, in Texas and Arizona this past year, where folks did not stop you and FORCE a mask, ppl still said "hello" and "excuse me"...I had no issues of wanting to go out.

#2...I come home angry most trips out from the experience of endless masked faces, no smiles, no conversations...nor reaching out and touching someones arm, or hugging one you haven't seen in a bit. (Although I reached out and hugged a complete stranger at the vet this week, as she had just said goodbye to her fur baby! Screw the rules!)

I am seeing more folks who feel like I do, not wearing the mask, and living life...and I am starting to feel better about going out.

 

I enlisted in 1978. Most of my NCO's were combat vets. They all had this....stare. After forty years myself, I know why. During my LE career, I spent a lot of time teaching these very same subjects on mental health to recruits as far as survival goes.

 

One can only live in "survival mode" for so long. People have been bombarded with how deadly this is when in reality, it's only that to about point 02 percent. In short, they had the wits scared out of'em over mostly nothing. So that shell-shocked attitude on the part of some people is understandable. Make no mistake, it's real. I've had two friends die from it and a bunch that got it and recovered. Some easier than others. But much of the crap "they" put us through was unecessary. Some was a flat out lie but we're not going there.

 

As for AZ, since our governor has done away with masks and lockdowns, corporate has taken over as carekeepers LOL. Know what? Nobody seems to care if I wear one or not so I don't. Haven't been bothered...yet and I notice a few others who don't too.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

We had serious lockdowns in PA thanks to our governor.  I live in a small town and all of our non-religeous gathering places were closed down.   Luckily in this area four states come together and I live 3 miles above the state line.  On my last birthday I had to drive two states away in order to have a drink for my birthday but I decided I was worth it and I did it.

 

It may seem like a pain in the neck right now, but if you have a place where you used to see people you know, please put on your coat and head out the door to be among them.  They will be as glad to see you as you will be to see them.  I know that happened for me.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Noz said:

The China virus has prevented the surgery that would make day to day easier. 

 

I've just recently got caught up on dental work that's been a problem for a year.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well guess I’m the odd man out! I have gone to every CAS match that I could attend was great to see everyone and can’t wait to  head to OK city in a couple of weeks for Land run, this CO 19 crap gave me a bad case of cabin fever, around here in SE Kansas it’s starting to get pretty close to normal, more and more people have stopped wearing masks,  you are still supposed to wear a mask until you are seated in a restaurant, and in stores here in Winfield masks are “required “ but most of the folks don’t comply and no one complains. Arkansas city 9 miles away doesn’t have a mask ordinance and west of us, Wellington  has dumped the mask also. Cases have continued to drop pretty fast in Kansas, the majority  of people I know have had both shots now, at our clubs  two day shoot last weekend most everyone I talked to has had at least one shot and waiting to get the second, only one of the older cowboys wore a mask the entire time and that’s just fine if it made him feel better. It’s so good to see people living life again and I love it.    SCJ

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Well guess I’m the odd man out! I have gone to every CAS match that I could attend was great to see everyone and can’t wait to  head to OK city in a couple of weeks for Land run, this CO 19 crap gave me a bad case of cabin fever, around here in SE Kansas it’s starting to get pretty close to normal, more and more people have stopped wearing masks,  you are still supposed to wear a mask until you are seated in a restaurant, and in stores here in Winfield masks are “required “ but most of the folks don’t comply and no one complains. Arkansas city 9 miles away doesn’t have a mask ordinance and west of us, Wellington  has dumped the mask also. Cases have continued to drop pretty fast in Kansas, the majority  of people I know have had both shots now, at our clubs  two day shoot last weekend most everyone I talked to has had at least one shot and waiting to get the second, only one of the older cowboys wore a mask the entire time and that’s just fine if it made him feel better. It’s so good to see people living life again and I love it.    SCJ

 

The mask nazis are out in full force out here and they get in your face literally if you don’t comply. I guess that’s probably one of the issues I have going out around here is the belligerence on display. I had to go to the P.O. on Thursday and had to walk across the parking lot to the front door and hadn’t put my mask on yet as I was walking and when I got to the door a woman got after me for not having my mask on when I got out of my truck. She didn’t like what I told her to do. I’ve found that lately I’ve become much harsher in my response to people and have been told that by family members also.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.