SASS Wire Forum

Cody dixon

boom pop

As there are no official rules it is up to the host club to answer that. If it were me I would say no as it flies in the face of the intent of the category IMHO.

Check out Texas Historical Shootist Society. They are an older club near Houston. The list rules for Cody, Dixon, Indian fighters, meat hunters and  sharpshooter. They are a fun bunch to shoot with .  Irish ☘️ Pat

I know of no club that allows a shooter to use a rifle chambered for 45 colt in a Cody Dixon match.

As a general rule of thumb if the cartridge is SASS Main Match legal in your rifle is not legal for Cody Dixon, with the exception of 56-50.  so .32 Mag, 38 Special, 357 mag, 38-40, 44-40, 44 Russian, 44 special, 44 mag, 45 acp, C45S, 45 schofield, 45 Colt and other similar cartridges would not be a legal rifle cartridge for Cody Dixon.

Cartridges that would be allowed are 30-30, 30-40, 38-55, 40-65, 45-7-, 45-75, 50-70 and other similar cartridges.

While I can see that interpretation for the 45 Colt, (not chambered in rifles prior to 1899), that is NOT the case for the 32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF, as they were all introduced in the Winchester mdl 1873.  If one goes by the THSS rules, it does not say "excluding SASS Legal pistol calibers.  I find it interesting that they allow the Marlin pump shotgun, tho' it is specifically prohibited elsewhere in SASS.  

11 minutes ago, Griff said:

While I can see that interpretation for the 45 Colt, (not chambered in rifles prior to 1899), that is NOT the case for the 32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF, as they were all introduced in the Winchester mdl 1873.  If one goes by the THSS rules, it does not say "excluding SASS Legal pistol calibers.  I find it interesting that they allow the Marlin pump shotgun, tho' it is specifically prohibited elsewhere in SASS.  

Well the truth of the matter is that  32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF are for all intents and purposes, pistol cartridges.   The point of Cody Dixon is that you use rifle cartridges that are just too big to put into a revolver.

7 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Well the truth of the matter is that  32WCF, 38WCF & 44WCF are for all intents and purposes, pistol cartridges.   The point of Cody Dixon is that you use rifle cartridges that are just too big to put into a revolver.

:ph34r:  And yet, the 45-70 is chambered in a revolver...    (just to be argumentative.... :ph34r: )  :D

I asked Charles Goodnight lots of CD questions over the years as he was one of the original CD shooters at THSS that basically wrote the rules. He told me they really wanted single shots to be Sharps, Trapdoors, HiWalls in rifle caliber.  I asked about 44-40 as it was originally a rifle caliber and he said no. He also said no H&R Handi Rifles, as they would obviously be a gamer gun. His opinion. And I tend to agree, is that a Trapdoor Carbine (in 45-70) probably the best Single Shot rifle. Allthough the short-barreled HiWalls that are self-cockers are also pretty good. 

for lever guns I think a Marlin in 38-55 is the way to go. 

Cody Dixon is a great category, lots of fun to shoot rifles that require more aiming than  just pointing! I be wish more clubs offered it. 

Every club can have their on rules. THSS calls it sharpshooter when you shot the pistol caliber rifle targets with your revolvers and the 100 yard targets with your regular match rifle. It makes you aim.  ☘️ Pat

A couple of years ago, I was at a shoot in Nevada that had a Cody Dixon category.   There were two versions.   Version One was for single shot rifles, trapdoors, rolling blocks and other "rifle" caliber single shots.   Version Two was for repeating rifles in large rifle calibers.   I used a Model 86 in .45-70 and actually took third place in that category.   [Woo Hoo]  There was also a sub category for Version Two that was for .30-30's.  As I understood it, they felt that the small bore .30-30 was not really in the same class as the big bore stuff that they were trying to encourage.   If memory serves .38-55 was the smallest caliber outside of the special for .30-30 class.

Seems to me that using pistol caliber rounds completely defeats the purpose of using something "different" in this class.   Even in a single shot.

On the other hand, I think just adding a second rifle in .30-30 or larger, changing from the standard 10-10-4 to 10-10-5-4 could be an interesting variant to the game.

IIRC, the 30-30 class is the Tom Horn class at the Battle Born Rangers.  It is specific to TH since he used a Winchester 1894 30-30.  No other calibers need apply.

9 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

IIRC, the 30-30 class is the Tom Horn class at the Battle Born Rangers.  It is specific to TH since he used a Winchester 1894 30-30.  No other calibers need apply.

Yes, that is what I was recalling.   I knew they didn't call it "Cody Dixon" but could not remember the specific name.   I had a lot of fun at that shoot.   I hope to go back again someday.   But Nevada is a long way from New England.

Of course, just to be contrary, I always wondered where my Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special would fit.

Not to worry though, if/when I make it out there again, my rifle of choice will be a large frame Colt Lighting in .45-85-265.  [Think .45-70 with a lighter bullet.]

16 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Yes, that is what I was recalling.   I knew they didn't call it "Cody Dixon" but could not remember the specific name.   I had a lot of fun at that shoot.   I hope to go back again someday.   But Nevada is a long way from New England.

Of course, just to be contrary, I always wondered where my Model 94 in .32 Winchester Special would fit.

Not to worry though, if/when I make it out there again, my rifle of choice will be a large frame Colt Lighting in .45-85-265.  [Think .45-70 with a lighter bullet.]

I asked about using a .32 Special in the Tom Horn class.  While very polite, they told me no.  I love my .32.  I would have even to offered to for go the awards but no luck.  

On 4/12/2021 at 6:32 AM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I just bought a 32 spec made in 1901 and it's a much sweeter shooter than any of my 30-30s. 

I've never shot CD, I didn't expect 30-30 to be forbidden.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I was wondering the same thing.  I just bought a 32 spec made in 1901 and it's a much sweeter shooter than any of my 30-30s. 

I've never shot CD, I didn't expect 30-30 to be forbidden.

Most clubs that shoot Cody Dixon allow a 30-30. Some may not.

It would be up to the MD as to whether or not .32 Winchester Special would be allowed as it was not available prior to 1899.

I will say that as MD for the Monthly Texas Ten Horns Cody Dixon matches I would allow it.

28 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Most clubs that shoot Cody Dixon allow a 30-30. Some may not.

It would be up to the MD as to whether or not .32 Winchester Special would be allowed as it was not available prior to 1899.

I will say that as MD for the Monthly Texas Ten Horns Cody Dixon matches I would allow it.

If you wanna be sneaky, just use .30-30 brass loaded with the proper bullet...

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If you wanna be sneaky, just use .30-30 brass loaded with the proper bullet...

Were you to do that at a match I am the MD for and I found out you would earn a SOG followed by a MDQ.

Picking brass the difference between 30-30 and 32 Win Special would be noticed by your fellow shooters

12 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh come on, I wasn't serious.

I didn't think you were but there are some that would try it. 

I had one that tried to use an illegal rifle. We caught it during sign up.

56 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I didn't think you were but there are some that would try it. 

I had one that tried to use an illegal rifle. We caught it during sign up.

Was he trying to be sneaky or just not know it wasn't legal?

We had a shooter that every time we had an annual or long range shoot he would want to shoot his Handi Rifle in the event. He reasoned that because it was chambered in 44 mag that it was a big bore and qualified. For 4 or 5 years I would tell him no, just because it was chambered in rifles and was a larger diameter bullet, it didn't make a rifle cartridge. One day he comes to me before an event and says he had sent the gun in and had it re-barreled, could he shoot it now. I say is it now a 38-55 or 45-70? No, had it chambered for 460 S&W! No, Bob, that's still a pistol cartridge and not a historical chambering. He starts showing me dimensions on a similar cartridge from back in the day, a 46 Ballard or some such. I gave him points for creativity and told him he was welcome to shoot it after the event, but not compete with it. Some folks are just hard to get through to.

55 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Was he trying to be sneaky or just not know it wasn't legal?

He knew and like Goody's example had all sorts of reasons why it should be allowed.

Reason it was disallowed is the design did not look like anything pre 1900.

Archived