SASS Wire Forum

Electric Cars

Subdeacon Joe

Thursday we drove to Sonoma to get her 1st COVID shot.  About 20 miles each way.  Longest drive she has been on for months, which really perked her up. 

Anyway,  we now have an electric car.   It displays the estimated remaining range.   Because I  had all the forms of regenerative braking activated,  and the group fornication that traffic is from Agua Caliente all the way through Sonoma, we went about 6 or 7 miles with no indicated energy use.  Estimated driving range stayed at 50 miles,  and remaining battery at 38%.  

Almost makes it seem perpetual motion is possible. 

Of course,  once headed back home and out of the slow and go traffic the energy drain was back to normal. 

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What electric cat do you have, if you don’t mind?

We got a Nissan Leaf S.  It's the low end version, range about 150 to 180 miles.  We tried a fast charger once, and it took about 45 minutes to go from about 30% to 95%.  At 26 ¢/per  minute that's $11.70 for a week of driving.  As opposed to $80 every two weeks.  Or I can use the supplied trickle charger on our 110 house current.  I plugged it in when I got home last night, at about 40% charge, and this morning at 9 a.m. it was at 82%.  

It is VERY responsive.  handles well.  If I take off the Eco mode, the d-Pedal, and the B mode (all the economy and enhanced regenerative braking stuff) and punch it it will take me from standing start to 60 in about 8 seconds.  From 20 to 60 in under 4.  
Good side mirrors, inside rear view is so-so.  Has a back-up camera so that you can see for backing up - and it projects your course with curved lines when you cut the wheels.  Also has distance marks that let you know 10', 5' and about 1.5', sounds warning at 5'.  Also gizmos in your side mirrors to let you know something is in your blind spot.

So far, only two weeks in, we really like it.  Would have liked to afford the next one up, with about 250 mile range, but we rarely do more than a 100 mile round trip.  Heck, we rarely do more than about a 30 mile round trip.  Our drive to Sonoma from Santa Rosa was the longest trip we have taken in at least a year.

I've been thinking about getting one just for around the city here, but the way our Hydro has been trending the past few years, I'm a bit hesitant, in addition to the lack of infrastructure once you get out of the urban centres has me hesitant. 

North of me, along the Trans-Canada Highway, are areas where it's a REEEAALLLLYYY long way between towns let alone fuel stations.

While there are currant bushes along the roads, there doesn't seem to be a spot to plug into them for a charge!!

16 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

in addition to the lack of infrastructure once you get out of the urban centres has me hesitant. 

That is a big issue.   If you have a Tesla it isn't as much of an issue.   I think that Tesla and Target have some kind of agreement because all the Target stores around here have a bunch of Tesla chargers.  Unfortunately,  those don't work with most other cars.  

EVgo and Chargepoint seem to be the ones I can use.  Once I get the app figured out.   

OK Joe (or anyone) ... I have a question I have been dying to ask someone who actually owns an electric car ...

We have two regular gasoline vehicles ... but .. it is not unusual anymore for one to sit a whole month and not move .. (especially since COVID) ...

Recently ... I have started making a point to ensure they move at least once every two weeks as there are plenty of electronics etc etc ..

... ANYHOW ...

We are very interested in jumping on an electric but I was worried if an infrequent driving schedule (as we have now) would send the batteries to an early death?!?!?

Like just leaving the thing plugged in for a month ... hmmm ... (they warn you not to do that to your cell phone!!) ... 

What do you think?? Did you get any guidance in that regard when you bought the thing?? s10.gif.bc8cd607f5b3be7b7786647b75bd3081.gif

7 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

worried if an infrequent driving schedule (as we have now) would send the batteries to an early death?!?!?

Like just leaving the thing plugged in for a month ... hmmm ... (they warn you not to do that to your cell phone!!) ... 

What do you think?? Did you get any guidance in that regard when you bought the thing?? s10.gif.bc8cd607f5b3be7b7786647b75bd3081.gif

We were told not to change to 100% and leave it sit for long.  There is something in the owner's manual about letting it sit for an extended period of time,  but I'll be switched if I recall what it was.  Isn't an issue for me right now so I just glossed over it. 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Thursday we drove to Sonoma to get her 1st COVID shot.  About 20 miles each way.  Longest drive she has been on for months, which really perked her up. 

Anyway,  we now have an electric car.  ................

..... you have a 20 mile extension cord ?   :huh:

I have had a Bolt going on 4 years and 65k miles.  Probably going to replace it soon due to relocating.  It worked well in Colorado since there were two options to charge when returning from Denver to Cos if I was running low.   I only had one trip in CO catch me out.  Was 10deg out and going 80, my consumption was 2 m/kWh.  Means it only had a range of 90 miles when fully charged which it wasn’t.  Barely made it from Fort Collins to Aurora.  Was down to less than 6 miles left when I hit the charger.   
Now at my new location, I did a 120 mile round trip one night at 37 deg and had to drive slow with the heat off to make it home.  Turns out at 65mph, 37 deg, and a head wind it uses about a kwh per 2 miles.   Can’t live with that short a range and the unknown “will I make it home”.  Time for a gas powered vehicle again.  I will miss the quiet and pep of electric. 

18 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Do you have a battery powered version of that?

:D

Someone in California does.  They showed it on TV yesterday, a straight truck with batteries the size of coffins sitting on the frame rails.  It was used to charge electric tractors in the field.

Or you could build one of your own with one of these. Trexa electric vehicle platform.

image.jpeg.b1505a3faeb783d5312c85acc0acfbb7.jpeg

Weather definitely is an impact even with just hybrids....perfect for Pacific Northwest where stays moderate, but back in Midwest would be poor performance I think.

also registration costs are blowing up and they are increasing taxes....be prepared for surprise legislation where they give you an incentive on one hand then punish you with the other

On 4/10/2021 at 2:53 PM, Hendo said:

The real question is can you pack your shootin irons and cart in it?:D

No, the real question is can you plug it into the neighbors house?

My grandmother had a 1915 Studebaker electric with six or eight huge wet cell batteries, a tiller, and no brakes.  When you pushed on the brake pedal it reversed the current to stop the car.

Grandpa bought it and died a couple of years later and grandma never drove.  A cousin and I got it running one summer....for about 25 minutes.  It was quiet, made sparks, and smelled like ozone.  I have no idea what became of it.

To those that drive and like electric vehicles, good on ya. 

If the gummint wants me to drive an electric, they can give me one, I won't buy one, just a personal preference. :)  I read a report once on the massive amount of pollution created to make the batteries for electric cars. 

3 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

To those that drive and like electric vehicles, good on ya. 

If the gummint wants me to drive an electric, they can give me one, I won't buy one, just a personal preference. :)  I read a report once on the massive amount of pollution created to make the batteries for electric cars. 

I have no problem with new tec , and think the performance of some of the electric vehicles is great . But in most cases “green” isn’t really green . And as soon as they increase taxes on electric vehicles they will be far less appealing. If gas consumption goes down so does tax revenue. And seeing that the government makes more off of a gallon of gas than the people selling it do we all know the government isn’t going to take a loss 

I drive too much to depend on an electric car, heck the closest cowboy shoot is 60 miles away. The furthest is about 120! I still work part time also and drive up to a half hour each way. I don't trust them eeeeelectric cars yet!!

On 4/10/2021 at 1:51 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

What electric cat do you have, if you don’t mind?

Maybe? :D

2021_04_12_07_53_21.jpg.a466109335657957d825b4d749034987.jpg

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I drive too much to depend on an electric car, heck the closest cowboy shoot is 60 miles away. The furthest is about 120! I still work part time also and drive up to a half hour each way. I don't trust them eeeeelectric cars yet!!

One of our A&Ps was quite late coming to work one morning. She showed up walking, pushing an electric scooter. About 3/4 the size of a Vespa. She had bought it to go to work on. Save gas. It did not have enough power to make it the 15 miles from her house to the hanger.

On 4/10/2021 at 2:18 PM, Patagonia Pete said:

OK Joe (or anyone) ... I have a question I have been dying to ask someone who actually owns an electric car ...

We have two regular gasoline vehicles ... but .. it is not unusual anymore for one to sit a whole month and not move .. (especially since COVID) ...

Recently ... I have started making a point to ensure they move at least once every two weeks as there are plenty of electronics etc etc ..

... ANYHOW ...

We are very interested in jumping on an electric but I was worried if an infrequent driving schedule (as we have now) would send the batteries to an early death?!?!?

not an issue at all.   What you do is set the charge to be less than 100%, on my Bolt it can be set to 85%, newer ones have more control allowing you to pick the end % and I know Tesla’s can adjust the end % as well.  You need to leave it plugged in as all batteries self discharge over time.  If it’s super cold, the car also need the power to keep the battery warm or if it’s hot to cool the pack.  Teslas were quite bad with what they call vampire drain, ie all the onboard stuff using power while idle.  Overall storage should be less problematic than a gas car as there is no gas to go bad. 

I left my Bolt at the airport for 1.5 weeks, no problem with self discharge like some Tesla owners have reported. 

Until they produce an electric car, (or better yet, a truck) that can run all day in sub freezing weather with no more than ten minutes of down time, (to recharge as opposed to refueling) at any one time, and drive 1,500 miles in a day’s time, I’ll stay with internal combustion engines and conventional transportation.

When they work that out, AND clean up all the nasty stuff involved in production and disposal of the related stuff involved in the “green” revolution, I MIGHT consider an electric vehicle!!

I don't think of it as going green, or saving the planet, or any of that kind of nonsense. It's just easier for me.

I don't have an electric car. But after fighting with them for more than 50 years, with the "gas went bad over the winter", and the "have to remember to prime the carburetor", and the "pull the rope until your damn arm feels like it's going to fall off", I broke down and got an electric lawn mower. When I'm through with it in the winter time, I go push it in the corner and forget about it. When I want to use it next spring, I pull it out, plug it in, push the button and I'm going. It's lighter than a gas mower. It's quieter than a gas mower.

I also have an electric chainsaw. I don't go out in the woods and play lumberjack. I do occasionally have to prune a tree. And when that chainsaw has not been used for a year or two, it still starts as soon as I pull the trigger.

Archived