SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 24 shotgun?

Currahee

Anything will work .

Just not well.

There are many choices out there .

I personally would not put the were and tear on a Original gun.

So many other good options. 

So saith the Rooster 

I own two model 24's ( 20 & 12 ga) both are well made workhorses. I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a match, but I prefer my 18.25" Stevens 235 hammer gun. Model 24's are (or were) reasonably priced quality guns if such an animal still exists in these times !

Good luck, Pard

We bought the nicest Winchester 24 I've ever seen at a gun show.   We shot it a couple of shots each.  It seemed to kick harder than a Stoeger.  Probably due to the chambers made for roll crimp shells.  We put it in the safe for a couple of years.  I used it as trade stock on a 3rd generation Colt SAA. 

5a6dab58e5289_Winchester241.jpg.54f16cdd7028e98ad79c832bb35ccebd.jpg5a6dab8ba7735_Winchester242Jan2018.jpg.80a7799ea26813ca46769fd8b56b626d.jpg5a6dabac2ee20_Winchester243Jan2018.jpg.197d430687e50a3a568cd15b07de6b65.jpg

Sharp forcing "shoulders" in a gun need to be reamed to conventional or lengthened forcing cones, if the gun is intended to be shot with modern ammo.  Yes, they are pretty hard kicking.  Lots of stock drop adds to the felt recoil.. 

I asked the same question about Model 24s of pards 15 years ago.  Since then, have only seen one M 24 used in a cowboy match, by a shooter who was "just having fun."

By now, not many gunsmiths remember ever having taken one apart.   Parts are slim pickin's too.

good luck, GJ

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I asked the same question about Model 24s of pards 15 years ago.  Since then, have only seen one M 24 used in a cowboy match, by a shooter who was "just having fun."p

I would have said almost the same except the only shooter I have seen using a 24 was lightning fast and serious as hell. He shot a 16 ga.  I would never consider modifying my-16 ga to use for CAS

9 hours ago, Banjo Bob said:

Looking for SASS double options.  Is this gun okay?  Seems like it should work.

I shot a Winchester Model 24 12ga for years, it's still in the back of the safe.  Jim Bowie at the Cowboys and Indian Store turned it into a great cowboy action shotgun.   Made from 1940 through 1957.   No big locking lug between the chambers, so "fumble factor" when loading shotshells is reduced.

I have shot mine many times in matches , before I went to hammered guns , mine was in 16 ga. .

Still have it , might shoot it if the mood strikes me .

They are Fine guns , and made to last ...

Jabez Cowboy

Very interesting well-made gun.  It is almost unique for a shotgun in that it is striker fired.  Very complex mechanism.  I tuned one for a Chronicle article but never published it as the action was very complex and I concluded it was not really a good candidate for a do-it-yourself article.  I spent a lot of time on the internet looking for takedown instructions.  I have books with schematics but could find nothing about taking the mechanism down.  All I could find were several warnings not to remove one big screw on the top of the action.  You can see the tip of that screw sticking out below the arrow.  Take out that screw and most of the mechanism falls out and without seeing how the parts fit together it is very difficult to reassemble.  Fortunately I removed the stock first and took lots of photos.  Maybe I should finish the article.  It is a great gun.  Well made and generally less expensive than an SKB or BSS.  In the photo you will note that there are no hammers.

PA262143.jpeg

I agree with Larson, I took one apart 15 or 20 years ago and it is a complex action, but turns into a nice gun when work is completed.

J.M.

Ok, so here's question for Larsen or Johnny Meadows. Being striker fired would the lock time be less? Enough to make a difference? I used to see them in pawn shops on occasion and considered buying more than once. But the fact that looked like a pregnant guppy always turned me away.

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Ok, so here's question for Larsen or Johnny Meadows. Being striker fired would the lock time be less? Enough to make a difference? I used to see them in pawn shops on occasion and considered buying more than once. But the fact that looked like a pregnant guppy always turned me away.

Yes

No

They ARE a wide-body shotgun.   Action is as wide as two 12 gauge barrels "side by side,"  you might say.  Nothing svelte to see there.

good luck, GJ

Is it an automatic or manual safety?

23 minutes ago, Johnny Meadows,SASS#28485L said:

Larson stated it the way I see it.

Lock time would be slightly faster, but not enough to make a difference.

J.M.

Kind of what I thought. I would suspect that lock time is much more important in long range where moving just a little can cause a complete miss. The faster the shot happens, the faster the bullet leaves and the less time for error.

6 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Kind of what I thought. I would suspect that lock time is much more important in long range where moving just a little can cause a complete miss. The faster the shot happens, the faster the bullet leaves and the less time for error.

Fast lock time is important on a competition shotgun.  Very high priced shotguns like Perazzi and Kreighoff used for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays have fast lock times.  SASS is not a competitive shotgun sport.  Locktime is pretty much irrelevant with a target sitting on the ground at ten yards.

I have one with no work done & tried to shoot BP in it 20 or so years ago & it was a "no shuck" gun.  

I had to claw every hull out.

I just use it for Smokeless non-SASS shooting clay birds on occasion & for that it works well.

Archived