Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Spring set recommendation for Ruger Vaqureo (all set-Thankyou )


Recommended Posts

A friend has asked me to help him put lighter springs in his .44mag. Ruger Vaquero, not a New Model. What would you folks recommend I get for it?

 

Thanks,

EH

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Link to post
Share on other sites

gunsprings.com. Go straight to Wolff Springs.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat depends on what else has been done to the pistol. Springs will not particularly benefit a pistol with rough innards.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Thanks guy's. I may try Longhunter first as Wolff takes about a month or so now, but somewhat cheaper when I ordered my Wrangler springs. I expect I may need to do some smoothing. I'll see how far he wants to go and how soon.

 

Much Obliged,

EH

 

Just checked, pricing is comparable. Longhunter has a 32 oz. trigger spring.

Edited by Eyesa Horg
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks guy's. I may try Longhunter first as Wolff takes about a month or so now, but somewhat cheaper when I ordered my Wrangler springs. I expect I may need to do some smoothing. I'll see how far he wants to go and how soon.

 

Much Obliged,

EH

 

Just checked, pricing is comparable. Longhunter has a 32 oz. trigger spring.

Longhunter is a top notch outfit to deal with. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I fully agree Hendo. I am a past customer. Looking at the Gunspring site it seems their set comes with a 17# main spring although a 15# is available. Not sure what I have in my New models as they are Jimmy Spurs, but my buddy will likely be happy if it feels smoother and goes bang!

 

So-- 15# or 17#, that is the question. I presume a 30 or 32 oz. trigger spring would be pretty close in feel.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I fully agree Hendo. I am a past customer. Looking at the Gunspring site it seems their set comes with a 17# main spring although a 15# is available. Not sure what I have in my New models as they are Jimmy Spurs, but my buddy will likely be happy if it feels smoother and goes bang!

 

So-- 15# or 17#, that is the question. I presume a 30 or 32 oz. trigger spring would be pretty close in feel.

I went with the 15#.  My New Vaqueros have that stupid lock thing on hammer strut and I think that is the rating on the spring for those.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I went with the 15#.  My New Vaqueros have that stupid lock thing on hammer strut and I think that is the rating on the spring for those.

Do you think a 17# would be better for an old model Vaquero, I don't believe it has the lock. Although I don't currently have it in hand to check. For what little I know about them, I don't think they had locks back then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Do you think a 17# would be better for an old model Vaquero, I don't believe it has the lock. Although I don't currently have it in hand to check. For what little I know about them, I don't think they had locks back then.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the OM's don't have the lock. I honestly didn't know squat about that until I picked mine up recently. No doubt other cowfolk will chip in, but I haven't had any problems with mine going bang with the 15# spring, but that's with Federal and Winchester primers. I haven't used my CCI primers, yet.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, same here!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All set !! I ordered the Longhunter set. Thanks for everyone's input.

Much Obliged,

EH

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Eyesa Horg changed the title to Spring set recommendation for Ruger Vaqureo (all set-Thankyou )

He's working on getting into CAS. He handled our Rugers and just wants his to feel a bit better. It's amazing the difference between stock and Jimmy Spurs !! I figure for $22 I can make his a little bit nicer. The Longhunter set comes with both a 15 & 17 #, so there will be some flexibility.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.