SASS Wire Forum

Spring set recommendation for Ruger Vaqureo (all set-Thankyou )

Eyesa Horg

A friend has asked me to help him put lighter springs in his .44mag. Ruger Vaquero, not a New Model. What would you folks recommend I get for it?

Thanks,

EH

gunsprings.com. Go straight to Wolff Springs.  

Somewhat depends on what else has been done to the pistol. Springs will not particularly benefit a pistol with rough innards.

Thanks guy's. I may try Longhunter first as Wolff takes about a month or so now, but somewhat cheaper when I ordered my Wrangler springs. I expect I may need to do some smoothing. I'll see how far he wants to go and how soon.

Much Obliged,

EH

Just checked, pricing is comparable. Longhunter has a 32 oz. trigger spring.

10 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Thanks guy's. I may try Longhunter first as Wolff takes about a month or so now, but somewhat cheaper when I ordered my Wrangler springs. I expect I may need to do some smoothing. I'll see how far he wants to go and how soon.

Much Obliged,

EH

Just checked, pricing is comparable. Longhunter has a 32 oz. trigger spring.

Longhunter is a top notch outfit to deal with. 

I fully agree Hendo. I am a past customer. Looking at the Gunspring site it seems their set comes with a 17# main spring although a 15# is available. Not sure what I have in my New models as they are Jimmy Spurs, but my buddy will likely be happy if it feels smoother and goes bang!

So-- 15# or 17#, that is the question. I presume a 30 or 32 oz. trigger spring would be pretty close in feel.

53 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

I fully agree Hendo. I am a past customer. Looking at the Gunspring site it seems their set comes with a 17# main spring although a 15# is available. Not sure what I have in my New models as they are Jimmy Spurs, but my buddy will likely be happy if it feels smoother and goes bang!

So-- 15# or 17#, that is the question. I presume a 30 or 32 oz. trigger spring would be pretty close in feel.

I went with the 15#.  My New Vaqueros have that stupid lock thing on hammer strut and I think that is the rating on the spring for those.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I went with the 15#.  My New Vaqueros have that stupid lock thing on hammer strut and I think that is the rating on the spring for those.

Do you think a 17# would be better for an old model Vaquero, I don't believe it has the lock. Although I don't currently have it in hand to check. For what little I know about them, I don't think they had locks back then.

3 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Do you think a 17# would be better for an old model Vaquero, I don't believe it has the lock. Although I don't currently have it in hand to check. For what little I know about them, I don't think they had locks back then.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the OM's don't have the lock. I honestly didn't know squat about that until I picked mine up recently. No doubt other cowfolk will chip in, but I haven't had any problems with mine going bang with the 15# spring, but that's with Federal and Winchester primers. I haven't used my CCI primers, yet.

All set !! I ordered the Longhunter set. Thanks for everyone's input.

Much Obliged,

EH

• Eyesa Horg changed the title to Spring set recommendation for Ruger Vaqureo (all set-Thankyou )

He's working on getting into CAS. He handled our Rugers and just wants his to feel a bit better. It's amazing the difference between stock and Jimmy Spurs !! I figure for $22 I can make his a little bit nicer. The Longhunter set comes with both a 15 & 17 #, so there will be some flexibility.

Archived