SASS Wire Forum

Sold Out!

So my cousin's 22-year old son has been drooling over the the prospect of buying a Garand.  Well, last week he sent off all required documentation and a cashier's check for something like $1,080 to the CMP for a Service Grade "Cornbinder" - an International Harvester M1.

And today, the CMP posts the following:

RM1HCS    M1 Garand IHC Service Grade.  Only part guaranteed to be IHC is the receiver.  Some other parts could be IHC but not guaranteed.  Please see M1 Service Grade description above.

SOLD OUT
April 9, 2021

We will try to fill orders that are in house already. An email will be sent if order cannot be filled.

I hope he made it under the wire!  Maybe he got the last one...?  :huh:

Otherwise, it looks like all they have left that's functional are H&R or Springfield (no choice) in Field Grade ($650) or Service Grade ($750).  

Twenty-seven other listings have "Sold Out" posted next to the description.  Good Golly ~ the CMP is running out of M1's~!  :o

Sadly, but I guess that is inevitable. 

I have never bought firearms from the CMP. Is there any kind of a rule or requirement that one cannot sell guns bought from the CMP? On another forum I frequent people talk of seeing lots of CMP Garands on auction sites. From what I have read the prices are not cheap. 

Perhaps he could get one of the available guns and have money left over for clips, sling, carry case, nifty spotting scope, shooter’s mat, rifle rest, tools for tear down and maintenance (a bolt disassembly tool is a wonderful tool) ammo cans...ammo?

9 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Is there any kind of a rule or requirement that one cannot sell guns bought from the CMP?

That, in my opinion, is one of the things that is wrong with the CMP.

Back when it was the DCM, the stated purpose was to put military firearms in the hands of civilians, so they could learn to shoot. You could only buy one. Not one a month, or one a year. One. And you weren't supposed to resell it. That wasn't why they sold it to you.

But the CMP is in business to make money. They will sell you as many of them as you wish to buy. As often as you wish to buy them. And they have no problem with you turning around and reselling them.

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

That, in my opinion, is one of the things that is wrong with the CMP.

Back when it was the DCM, the stated purpose was to put military firearms in the hands of civilians, so they could learn to shoot. You could only buy one. Not one a month, or one a year. One. And you weren't supposed to resell it. That wasn't why they sold it to you.

But the CMP is in business to make money. They will sell you as many of them as you wish to buy. As often as you wish to buy them. And they have no problem with you turning around and reselling them.

Thank you. I had forgotten their was the DCM and then the CMP. I guess I was remembering DCM rules. That explains the comment that I read on one site where a guy said “this is my 8th CMP Garand.” I was somewhat taken aback by that. 

Years ago I had a sporterized Springfield 1917. I sold it to a friend. Recently I had an idea to buy myself an original from CMP. It looks like that ain’t happening. They’re out. Oh well...I snoozed. 
Honestly, if I had the opportunity for a 1917 I would probably not buy one anyway. I have a hankering for a .45 Colt carbine and a bolt action .308. I just haven’t decided on one yet. 

They have run out of rifles before. Do not despair.

I know it's not possible for everyone, but sometimes the AL facility has rifles available on the shelf even when they are not accepting internet orders.

7 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Otherwise, it looks like all they have left that's functional are H&R or Springfield (no choice) in Field Grade ($650) or Service Grade ($750).  

A functioning Garand at those prices is a bargain, I haven't seen a Garand go for under a $1000 on the dedicated firearms auction houses in at least a year or two.

46 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I know it's not possible for everyone, but sometimes the AL facility has rifles available on the shelf even when they are not accepting internet orders.

Yes. I’m sometimes thankful it’s too far away. ;)

Right now the north and south stores are closed and helping to fill mail orders . I put in a mail order for a Winchester before they sold out so hopefully I’ll get it . Right now they have people limited to 2 a month and 8 for the year. 
I went to the north store a couple of months ago. It’s fun being able to pic through them for your treasure 

52 minutes ago, Chantry said:

A functioning Garand at those prices is a bargain, I haven't seen a Garand go for under a $1000 on the dedicated firearms auction houses in at least a year or two.

I think that’s why so many people are scooping them up , it’s hard to get hurt at those prices . I also see people on GB doing a little profiteering 

I mailed my order in mid-November for a Winchester version. They received it November 30th. They sent me an email giving me a customer number in March. They have sent out orders after mine. (You can track other folk's orders on the CMP forums.) In March they marked the Winchesters sold out. April 10th and still nothing.

I am one of those people that says “live and let live” regarding guns but these people profiteering on CMP guns just irks me. It would be one thing if they had health issues or some other issue that keeps them from having or shooting their CMP Garand but buying them to sell at a profit?...kind of ticks me off. 

Archived