SASS Wire Forum

Before I shoot myself in the foot....

Have the moderator's rules changed?

It seems like every day, there are several postings deleted, closed, or mysteriously removed without explanation.

Unless there has been a massive outbreak of incivility, it might be helpful for the rest of us if you gave us a hint as to why a particular post was deep sixed.  Is it necessary to delete the entire thread if someone slipped up and got heated?  I can't imagine that the entire thread becomes offensive if one post falls outside the guidelines.  And it leaves the rest of us scratching our heads, looking for inoffensive posts and/or wondering what the heck went wrong.

Not whining; just wishing for some clarity.

LL

Given the current state of affairs I can only assume that the posts are political in nature. And if that’s the case I’m thankful they were deep sixed. 

4 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Have the moderator's rules changed?

It seems like every day, there are several postings deleted, closed, or mysteriously removed without explanation.

Unless there has been a massive outbreak of incivility, it might be helpful for the rest of us if you gave us a hint as to why a particular post was deep sixed.  Is it necessary to delete the entire thread if someone slipped up and got heated?  I can't imagine that the entire thread becomes offensive if one post falls outside the guidelines.  And it leaves the rest of us scratching our heads, looking for inoffensive posts and/or wondering what the heck went wrong.

Not whining; just wishing for some clarity.

LL

The ones I've seen disappear were ones that either started as political or turned political very quickly and with too many political posts for a moderator to selectively delete certain posts.

55 minutes ago, Chantry said:

The ones I've seen disappear were ones that either started as political or turned political very quickly and with too many political posts for a moderator to selectively delete certain posts.

I'm not a Moderator; but, this post seems reasonable.

Some folks feel moved to share political views with friends.  I wish there were another forum, besides the ones that already exist under the SASS canopy, where that was permitted.  It could still be supervised by moderators to prevent nuclear war. Just saying...

Political Posts - SASS Wire Saloon - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

•    Controversial, religious, or political threads that are deemed inappropriate or needlessly provocative will be removed without warning.

Guidelines - SASS Wire Forum (sassnet.com)

Unreasonable censorship is what led to the SASS Forums crashing and burning, and a rebooting by Misty. The forums never fully recovered. If they start unreasonable censorship again, the forums may all but die out.  What is controversial to one person, is not contentious to another. Who decides what is controversial? It is a slippery slope when you have a moderator quick to hit the delete button.

There does seem to be a vacuum with deleted posts - and especially deleted threads.

I'm not saying that there was not some transgression, but sometimes it would help if we had some sort of feedback, rather than the implied "You know what you did!" :angry:

Sometimes we really don't know what we did.  Or didn't do.  

And it's not just the "Wire."

Here's an example:  I recently bought some socks from Amazon.  A few weeks later, I received an email asking me to post a review, which I did:

From me:

Love 'em!
Probably the most comfortable socks I've ever had. Too early to comment on durability, but considering how well-made they appear to be I'm pretty confident they'll last.  

I thought that was pretty benign; evidently, I was mistaken.  Shortly after I submitted my thoughts on the socks, I received this reply:

From Amazon:

Thank you for submitting a customer review on Amazon. After carefully reviewing your submission, your review could not be posted to the website. While we appreciate your time and comments, reviews must adhere to the following guidelines:  Amazon Community Guidelines

Did Amazon (or perish the thought, SASS?) hire the Former Missus Hardpan?  :huh:  

50 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Some folks feel moved to share political views with friends.  I wish there were another forum, besides the ones that already exist under the SASS canopy, where that was permitted.  It could still be supervised by moderators to prevent nuclear war. Just saying...

Remember the old Political Fire? That didn’t work too well. :lol:

1 hour ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I hope you washed your hands when you got done.

......... and my mouth out with lye soap ...

..... and I didn't touch or say anything !!!!   :o

14 hours ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

Unreasonable censorship is what led to the SASS Forums crashing and burning, and a rebooting by Misty. The forums never fully recovered. If they start unreasonable censorship again, the forums may all but die out.  What is controversial to one person, is not contentious to another. Who decides what is controversial? It is a slippery slope when you have a moderator quick to hit the delete button.

It's up to the Moderators.   The last thread I saw disappear I was in the middle of typing a response had not only turned political, it had devolved into personal attacks.  The Moderators are entirely correct in deleting posts and threads when we, as a group, can not discuss politics in a polite & civil manner.

I spend a lot of time on the internet at a number of sites and I have not seen a single site that allows differing views fail to turn nasty when politics is discussed.

Work isn't much different for those of us who work in a corporate environment.  There are (at least) three things it's very smart not to discuss at work:  politics, sex and how much you make.

I've always enjoyed political banter, that is, when it was ok to share different views. Nowadays it seems people are hard on either side and anything but full agreement in both sides causes inflammation, and the attacks start.

Probably best to let the tensions die out before letting the banter back in.

I trust thats what the mods are trying to accomplish, anyway. For now, I'm just happy this forum exists.

Perhaps it's better that there is no political, religious threads allowed, The very last thing that we need is people who support the 2nd Amendment to be fighting on a public forum about firearms, firearms laws or interpretation of possible firearms laws.

However, I do have to wonder what entity or person deems a topic or thread "controversial". :huh:

39 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

However, I do have to wonder what entity or person deems a topic or thread "controversial". :huh:

Which is my point. It is a slippery slope. Politics is a flash point in today's world and usually ends up in a fight. It has no place on the forums. I just hope that Misty chooses moderators wisely. We don't need martinets. Okay, enough seriousness, here is something to laugh at, the Bigfoot of Georgia:

photo-thumb-51277.jpg

Politics, religion, and the weather, are the top three things folks think about, and ponder, and question. and like to discuss. It can be done in a civil manner, but the operative word here is "can". 

Most of us have an opinion based on: 1. our personal life experiences; 2. What we have read.  3. What we are told; 4. Who tells us. 

Also, none of us are exactly alike, and we react to similar things, differently. 

What is important to one, may not be all that important to another. 

So, actually stating, in the rules, that religion, or politics, can't be discussed, paints a very broad spectrum. What constitutes "religion" or "politics"? 

"Rules", or "laws" are words, and word have to have an exact meaning. Stating we cannot discuss politics, or religion, can mean anything. 

What is banned, and what is allowed, seems to be what one person, that has the authority, will decide. It will be a subjective decision.

All this, that I have stated, really means zip. You will still see things one minute, and won't see them the next minute. No explanation will be forthcoming.

You won't know if it was your original post statement, that caused it, or someone else's input that caused it. 

The stated rules are there, like it or not. If your post disappears, someone took it as a violation of the rules, and like it or lump it, that is it. 

So pass the salt and lime, it's time for another shot of Anejo tequila....unless talking about tequila, salt, and lime, is against the rules.  

Salute, amigo.

I am not an Admin or Mod here, but have served as both on other firearms forums. It is a royal pain in the rear end. And politics cause more headaches than all other things combined. Because there are too many people who can't accept that good people on the same side can have a different opinion, and then push the borders of civility, basically they flunked toilet training when it comes to patience and manners. This is one of the very best moderated boards around. If you want to argue politics, PLEASE go find one of the boards that allow it and vent there. Keep this a place where we can sit on the virtual tailgates of our truck and show pics of the grandkids, cheer each other up and laugh at the P we got on the last match.

From what I gather it seems:

anything with the D or R word in it,

nothing about any legislation including gun control legislation even if just reporting the facts - there is the Team Sass Forum, but nobody ever seems to ever read it let alone responds,

anything that offends someone such that they report it.

I like the sassnet.com forum but it is very limited in what one can say. Seems like everyplace on the internet has become more and more restrictive of comments and discussions including Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, Reddit, even AR15.com has to an extent though people in General discussion there will still pretty much hate on anything and everything and be rude. 

I recently asked of the shenanigans of "the gang of 4" because I hadn't heard anything of them lately, still haven't, and my thread disappeared. Honestly, I don't even know if they're still in office.

I, simply, am curious.

I wonder if the mods changed recently.  The way they're doing mods now is that they are regular members of the community who are given the login credentials to a mod account for a period of time.  Maybe a new batch is in and being more heavy handed than the last batch.  Of course that's assuming it's them doing it.  It could also be the admins who don't get swapped out. 

im not going to unless i can do it civilly , and yes it does matter , but yes i agree with you that we should be able to disagree - out loud , its what keeps things interesting and inspires thought , im also going to reserve the right to change my mind if you convince me 

Archived