SASS Wire Forum

Tactical Training Class Today, Sprained Wrist

John Kloehr

Excellent class taught by a veteran of Israeli Special Forces.

Basically, fighting with a pistol when the adversary is totally committed to the deed at hand. Under stress, with movement, changing conditions, malfunctions, etc.

Very different from the class I took from retired FBI agents due to the nature of their threat experience. I will take a tactical rifle class from the FBI guys in the future, but now plan to take room clearing from this new instructor.

And I sprained my wrist... And I'm sure you want that story...

Well, the morning started in the range classroom for introductions and formalities and waivers (injuries are absolutely not the responsibility of the range or the instructor, duh!). Then we stepped out to head for the range bay we were using and I slipped on the steps. Damn, not a good story. I'm a klutz.

Anyway, I participated and shot and learned and now my wrist really hurts. Difficult to open the booze and OJ bottles. Anyway, I'm about to drink and those who know me here know this will therefore be my last post for the night.

Be safe out there!

1 hour ago, John Kloehr said:

Excellent class taught by a veteran of Israeli Special Forces.

Basically, fighting with a pistol when the adversary is totally committed to the deed at hand. Under stress, with movement, changing conditions, malfunctions, etc.

Very different from the class I took from retired FBI agents due to the nature of their threat experience. I will take a tactical rifle class from the FBI guys in the future, but now plan to take room clearing from this new instructor.

And I sprained my wrist... And I'm sure you want that story...

Well, the morning started in the range classroom for introductions and formalities and waivers (injuries are absolutely not the responsibility of the range or the instructor, duh!). Then we stepped out to head for the range bay we were using and I slipped on the steps. Damn, not a good story. I'm a klutz.

Anyway, I participated and shot and learned and now my wrist really hurts. Difficult to open the booze and OJ bottles. Anyway, I'm about to drink and those who know me here know this will therefore be my last post for the night.

Be safe out there!

Think of it as an opportunity to work on your weak hand shooting. 

Being a klutz myself I tripped and landed badly on my right wrist, spraining it.   A couple of weeks later tried to shoot a plate match weak handed and found that trying to rack the slide with my sprained wrist was both hard to do and painful.

I had a state level SASS match I had already paid for about 6 weeks after I had sprained my wrist, shot the whole match weak hand and rather slowly, but much to my surprise I shot a clean match.

Howdy,

I have heard others say shooting matches while hurt exhausted etc

slows one down a tick and often gives surprising good ressults.

ymmv.

Best

CR

I will never get the ammo back I loaned the winner.....

22 hours ago, Chantry said:

Think of it as an opportunity to work on your weak hand shooting. 

I hurt my weak hand.

Got through last night OK, fitted a brace this morning. Should have taken an ibuprofen this morning too. Will tonight and again in the morning.

Figure on getting a good sense of how bad it is on Tuesday morning, that will be past the 3 day typical swelling. Expect at least 3 weeks of light duty.

So I was not able to join the BUG gun competition today, at the same range. But my lady could! I went with her to provide moral support and take video of her on the stages.

Except for a P, she was clean for the match and came in 8th out of 23! Awesome performance! This was her first competition with her new carry, a Springfield EMP 9mm. I think she likes it. Of course, the Biden Firearms Industry Stimulus check made it all possible.

More tomorrow, I'm gonna make a drink now to get on top of the pain.

Yes, ice helps both.

Virtually no pain this morning when I woke up until I moved my wrist, but was able to open the 1/2 & 1/2 without too much discomfort for my coffee. Doing that yesterday was hilarious... Had to trap the carton between my left forearm and body so I could twist the cap with my right hand. Well, I can laugh now, but had a blue streak running in my head at the time.

I'll include an ibuprofen with breakfast today, should have done so yesterday.

Not going to clean my firearm yet, but will tackle laundry. And paperwork. It is surprising how much I use both hands for almost all activities, got a few groceries yesterday and self-check was a challenge.

I think the next local SASS shoot is now a month away, I expect to be there to throw lead. And later, in August, I want to support the police charity 3 Gun fundraiser shoot.

I've been thinking about the class I took, and comparing how the philosophy differed from the "same" material taught by ex FBI instructors.

I can't help but draw parallels between the Israeli ISF tactics and Japanese Samurai tactics... Both seem to be no retreat, press the fight forward, and take control of the fight paradigms. Not to say the "FBI" training did not have those elements, the core between them seems to me is the view of the assailant, the level of the assailant's commitment to not stop until completely disabled, and the tactics most likely to succeed in those cases.

Archived