SASS Wire Forum

Prince Philip

El CupAJoe

Here's a cool story about Prince Philip in WW2.  He passed away today at 99.

Prince Philip and the Invasion of Sicily | Sky HISTORY TV Channel

Here is a very interesting article on Prince Philip. May he Rest In Peace. 
https://www.thelist.com/336213/the-real-reason-prince-philip-had-to-give-up-his-career-in-the-navy/

My wife and I watched the series “The Crown”. I mostly watched it to appease her. It was a very good series though.  The royal family doesn’t think so...

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My wife and I watched the series “The Crown”. I mostly watched it to appease her. It was a very good series though.  The royal family doesn’t think so...

Ditto.

Married what 73 years! How will the queen live without him? 

Mine went home after 42 years. Been gone 3 years July 25th, I still talk to her every day. Miss that gal so much. Can’t imagine what 73 years would feel like. 

At least Elizabeth won't have be at all concerned with money to live on, or lack of companionship, or having no family, and being alone. She was blessed to have him this long, and blessed that he wasn't in worse health.

Never-the-less, all of us are sorry for her loss. No matter one's station in life...rich or poor, famous or not, a world leader or a hillbilly, the loss is surreal, and numbing, and heartbreaking, She will have heartache, and will suffer the loss, on a lot of levels, as we all do, when someone we love, and care about, dies.

It will be tough, considering she will have to put up a stoic front, in public, and carry on, as they say over there. 

20 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

Interesting family tree...Philip's deep-seated royal roots placed him in the line of succession to the thrones of 16 countries...

Not a bad tree...

Texas Lizard

Not unusual in Europe. The various monarchies married off their progeny to each other to build alliances and avoid wars.

We all know how well that worked out.

I had the honour of meeting the Prince here in Ottawa, during our Centennial Year, (1967) and again in 1973.

A quick light hand shake before the party moved on, but for me, memorable.

3 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

At least Elizabeth won't have be at all concerned with money to live on, or lack of companionship, or having no family, and being alone. She was blessed to have him this long, and blessed that he wasn't in worse health.

Never-the-less, all of us are sorry for her loss. No matter one's station in life...rich or poor, famous or not, a world leader or a hillbilly, the loss is surreal, and numbing, and heartbreaking, She will have heartache, and will suffer the loss, on a lot of levels, as we all do, when someone we love, and care about, dies. It will be tough, considering she will have to put up a stoic front, in public, and carry on, as they say over there. 

I like your take on things and you more with every post you make.

PS Excuse my "chickieness!" ;)

19 hours ago, Highwall said:

Married what 73 years! How will the queen live without him? 

My gut feeling is that she won't last the year.   She's 94, and while she is a strong and strong willed lady, I think that she will start going downhill soon. 

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

My gut feeling is that she won't last the year.   She's 94, and while she is a strong and strong willed lady, I think that she will start going downhill soon. 

Why suppose that? Her mother lived to be 101, and outlived her own husband by 50 years.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Why suppose that? Her mother lived to be 101, and outlived her own husband by 50 years.

That would mean that they were together maybe 30 years. And she was only 51 when he died.  

Being 94 and losing your spouse of almost three quarters of a century is a somewhat different proposition. 

As I said,  just a gut feeling.   Several of my parents friends were in their 90s, lost their spouse of 70 years and reposed within a year. 

Archived