SASS Wire Forum

Inflatable boats

Alpo

How many air chambers you reckon there would be in something like this?

136094806_IMG_20210408_2130452542.thumb.jpg.53b92990af050aa5666557817b096217.jpg

Good guys are sneaking down the bayou to sniff out the bad guys. The bad guys are aware they're coming and are waiting in ambush.

Now if the good guys were in a wooden or in a fiberglass boat, and the bad guys started shooting at it, even if it took some holes it should still remain afloat long enough for them to get out of there.

But an inflatable? One burst of machine gun fire and you no longer have a boat, you have a place of rubberized canvas wreckage.

Unless them things have many air chambers, and a hole in one would not necessarily deflate the boat.

It’s an RIB, rigid inflatable boat. Virtually unsinkable. Very sturdy. Not Like a rubber liferaft.

Like UB said -RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat). Very fast, very seaworthy.

The hull is a composite with inflatable side air tubes.  The tubes do have multiple chambers.

If you can sink one - you've accomplished something.

How good is the good guy?  The tubes can be bullet rated and the hull can have ballistic plate inserts.  The outboard is the weak point.  A rhib could carry him out of trouble with all chambers shot in those calm waters.  I'd guess the bad guys would have to shoot out 4-6 chambers on the pictured vessel.  

This being an Alpo question I'm assuming it is inspired by a book or movie rather than a witnessed experience.  Using a little Hollywood magic that rhib would turn into a flying inflatable and take off before sinking.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:37 PM, Alpo said:

How many air chambers you reckon there would be in something like this?

136094806_IMG_20210408_2130452542.thumb.jpg.53b92990af050aa5666557817b096217.jpg

Good guys are sneaking down the bayou to sniff out the bad guys. The bad guys are aware they're coming and are waiting in ambush.

Now if the good guys were in a wooden or in a fiberglass boat, and the bad guys started shooting at it, even if it took some holes it should still remain afloat long enough for them to get out of there.

But an inflatable? One burst of machine gun fire and you no longer have a boat, you have a place of rubberized canvas wreckage.

Unless them things have many air chambers, and a hole in one would not necessarily deflate the boat.

At least one, maybe more.

On 4/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Alpo said:

It was NCIS New Orleans. I don't know whether they were good good guys, but they were undoubtedly well-equipped good guys.

Hmmm, I always considered the NCIS NOLO guys to be pretty good.  It's the NCIS LA series that I don't watch due to too much shady shenanigans.  Now maybe, just maybe, I see too much Capt Archer in the Pride character.  :D

Archived