SASS Wire Forum

Pietta

Highwall

Back in the late 90's I purchased a Ruger SS Vaquero for around $400 with a 4 3/4 inch barrel. I truly loved that iconic sidearm. I had many enjoyable days if not years shooting with it. Eventually my eyesight went south so in a senior moment I sold it to a fellow member in 2003. Well once retired I decided to buy another one because I missed it so much. I went to Cabela's and discovered that over the years the Ruger price had risen to over $800 in price. Wow, I could not afford that. Then I saw the Pietta in .45 long colt for just $300 so took the chance. I must say I am very pleased with it. It shoots straight, feels good and handles most ammo very well. It's not near as pretty as the SS Vaquero but 

just as effective. 

Pietta-Model-1873-SA-45-Colt_101214728_335_4715D28EDC8E35C0.jpg

I've looked at those in the past but usually passed them by for a double action, back before I was thinking about doing CAS

Pietta's quality, as most of us now know, has sure come up in the last few years. 

One of the gunshops, around here, won't offer any other Italian clone revolver, but Pietta.

Now if we could just get them to cease with all the writing/information, all over the barrel, I would like them better.

I could always buy a grinding wheel, I suppose.

22 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Pietta's quality, as most of us now know, has sure come up in the last few years. 

One of the gunshops, around here, won't offer any other Italian clone revolver, but Pietta.

Now if we could just get them to cease with all the writing/information, all over the barrel, I would like them better.

I could always buy a grinding wheel, I suppose.

it would also be nice if they wouldn't try to claim that the 44 cal brass framed 51 barrel style sheriff's model had anything to do with historical reality :P

I have a pair of Charles Daly's in .45 made by Pietta that pre-dated the Great Western II models. I love those guns and am perfectly happy with them. I've been shooting them again so I can save our small pistol primers for the wife.

I have single actions by Colt, USFA, Armi San Marco, Uberti and Pietta and I have to admit that of all the Piettas have the smoothest actions right ou of the box,  Please do not burn me on the stake for this, I know my comments can sound heretical to some.

;)  But El CupAJoe  :o

Do your really mean an 1851 with a Stepped cylinder and a Rebated Water Table in .44 has no historical basis?? (tongue stuck firmly in cheek).  I am crushed!!  And here I thought I was hysterically kerrekt all this time (Sob, sniffle).

:huh: Dawg Hair B)

Have no fear !! (At least not a lot).  Common knowledge, Pietta has been building the "better Mouse Trap" for several years.  The Great Western II is a "ringer" for the early second generation Colt with a much better action.  I do have to admit, including the Encyclopedia Brittanica in bold print on the barrel is a mite annoying though.

Stay Safe Out There 

4 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

it would also be nice if they wouldn't try to claim that the 44 cal brass framed 51 barrel style sheriff's model had anything to do with historical reality :P

Or brass framed Remington percussion copies...or "buntline" length barrels... or....or....or....oh, Hell, there are too many to mention.

2 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

Dang it! That means my 44 1851s are useless. Sad face. ;)

Since they're no good, I'll dispose of them for you :D

I just purchased a set of flat black grips for the Pietta. That will make the gun totally black with the exception of the antique brass. I think it will look totally decadent and I will post a pic once they arrive and installed.

s-l500 (1).jpg

36 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

I have wondered how the Pietta Colt clones stack up against the Uberti's?

Has anyone tried both?

The Uberti are some 5% larger in size than the Colt. Pietta is so close to Colt SAA that often parts will exchange.   Pietta has a reliable firing pin shield like a Colt.  Pietta has a replaceable cam on the hammer. 

1036252639_PiettaEleminatorhandandhammerAug2018.jpg.86c73b77daa06b5c7947ac1ab70d870f.jpg2025745250_PiettaEleminatorfiringpinbushingAug2018.jpg.841b2d2d352e2dfbcf28ce908f7fd6d8.jpg

Archived