SASS Wire Forum

Hard-crusted bread

Alpo

I assume that Mr. Griffin likes hard-crusted bread, because he is frequently having one character or another "buttering a hard-crusted roll", or "making a sandwich with some rare lomo and horseradish on a hard-crusted baguette".

Me? Not really. You bite into a hard-crusted roll, and flakes of the crust break off and get caught in your beard, and flakes of the crust get stuck in between your teeth. Soft-crusted bread is so much more nice.

Having deduced that he likes hard while I like soft, I started to wonder about the rest of the world. How many people like hard-crusted bread?

Which do you prefer?

My preference depends upon the sandwich or sub's ingredients. For instance, a good Cuban sandwich will normally have a "flakey" crust after being pressed. A grilled steak and cheese will not have the same texture. I like both.

I like either!  I prefer dark breads and ryes.  There is an English Toasting bread, light to white in color that has a great flavor and texture. 

Ciabatta and crusty French and Italian breads are good too!

It depends on what the bread is for. I like soft bread generally for a sandwich, but I do like crusty sourdough for buttered bread.

Exactly what Blackwater said!

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

I assume that Mr. Griffin likes hard-crusted bread, because he is frequently having one character or another "buttering a hard-crusted roll", or "making a sandwich with some rare lomo and horseradish on a hard-crusted baguette".

Me? Not really. You bite into a hard-crusted roll, and flakes of the crust break off and get caught in your beard, and flakes of the crust get stuck in between your teeth. Soft-crusted bread is so much more nice.

Having deduced that he likes hard while I like soft, I started to wonder about the rest of the world. How many people like hard-crusted bread?

Which do you prefer?

A good crusted , warm, with slathers of BUTTER, Soft & Warm white center or light tan rye center. 

Soft is ok, but crisp just taste better to me.  Dessert is white French Bread with Peanut  Butter and Jelly. 

A marker of fresh bread in parts of europe is how crisp the outside is. The older it is, the more it softens up. But a lot of times that bread is made fresh every morning by a 85 year old grandma who's been baking the family recipe since she was 8.

When you introduce mass manufacturing, things change. Crispy bread is hard to do on a bulk scale, so a lot of breads favored the softer crust that lasts longer.

Id take an old loaf of soft crust any day over an old loaf of hard crust... but fresh theres no competition. Get some burrata, fresh basil and maldon salt... the crispiness adds depth.

I like crispy with oil and vinegar dip, or to dip in soup... soft crust toasted bread for peanut butter and peanut butter sandwiches... soft crust toasted bread for most other sandwiches... hard crusted home made bread fresh out of the oven for helping disappear butter...

Extremely hard crust bread.  Should CRACK when folded.  Artisan bread is about right.

Gonnella Bread in Chicago Land is about trhe best (I miss it very much).

STL Suomi

My father told of his brief residence in Cleveland, and of eating at a particular restaurant where you gauged the freshness of the rolls but putting one under your heel and pressing down.
If it went CRUNCH it was fresh.
This is the absolute limit of my expertise on hard crust bread.
Me?
I like 'em all!

Archived