SASS Wire Forum

Any interest in Ruger VQ's in .44 Mag?

Bison Bud

I know that .44 Mag/.44 Spl. is not a real popular revolver cartridge for SASS Shooters, but I am wondering if there would be any real interest in a pair if I decided to sell them and what might be a fair price.  These are not the smaller "New VQ's and are not "3 Screws" either, just original, blued, VQ's in good shape.

Sorry, they are standard 5-1/2" barrels.  Frankly, I'm not anxious to sell them, but they are not my main match guns and I am interested in what they might go for and how difficult they might be to sell.

1 hour ago, Bison Bud said:

Sorry, they are standard 5-1/2" barrels.  Frankly, I'm not anxious to sell them, but they are not my main match guns and I am interested in what they might go for and how difficult they might be to sell.

.44 special may not be the 1st caliber that comes to mind of new shooters, but it's a darned good cartridge.  44 manglem, is excellent should anyone want to use one as a trail gun.  "Old" and New Vaqueros are hard to find right now.  1200. - 1400 for a pair is about right.

While pushing the SASS-max, 7.5 gr Universal behind a 213.5 gr bullet gives 950 ft/sec from a 7-1/2" barrel OMV.  That's using maggie brass.  You can reduce that without any problems.  The reason I don't use .44 Spl brass is that the longer case feeds fine in my Rossi '92.  With the .44-40 cylinder, I get the same velocity using 8.0 gr. and the same bullet.  

Stay well and safe, Pards!

The .44 spl is one of my two favorites, but in the New Vaquero frame, not the larger original frame. I know two shooters who use .44 mag Vaqueros exclusively, and with the current shortage, if yours are in good shape, I think they might bring even a bit more than McCandless said. A pair of more or less stock original model .357's sold here three days ago for $1600 to a dealer, and I'm sure he plans on getting at least another couple hundred. Other than the Wrangler .22, Ruger single actions just aren't available right now, so prices are going up.

Interest?  Oh heck, YES!

That is ALL we shoot in our family outfit here.

Almost every one is a full-sized Vaquero in .44 Rem Mag.

We shoot .44 S&W Special ammo.  Plus we get our brass back, because we are the only ones to shoot that stuff.

Mustang Gregg

Still have a pair.   Used 44 Mag brass 4.5 clays under 200 rnfp so all the ammo worked in 92 rifle.   Last year loaned them to good friend and his son for a spring bear hunt..       GW

started shooting 5 -  5.2 grains a2 under a 240 Semi wad kinda sketter skelton load a tad too hot for 44 spec out of 44 spec brass but just fine if shot from a ruger.  Got tired of cleaning carbon ring in cylinders started shooting same load out of the mag cases. shoot same load under 200 grain round nose which feeds a tad better from a rossi.  The semiwads would feed if a good roll crimp was on the brass.  The 44 specs with semiwads would feed also, if 200 grain seated to crimp groove many would fly out the top.  

4 hours ago, Mustang Gregg said:

Interest?  Oh heck, YES!

That is ALL we shoot in our family outfit here.

Almost every one is a full-sized Vaquero in .44 Rem Mag.

We shoot .44 S&W Special ammo.  Plus we get our brass back, because we are the only ones to shoot that stuff.

Mustang Gregg

I still remember how helpful you were on the phone while I was chasing down #2 in Junction City, KS.
Many thanks, once again.
I still have my pair of OM Bisley 44 mags... no plans to sell them before I depart the planet.

I'm fully stocked up, but am shooting 22LR these days... cuz I don't want to spend down my center fire stock that I cannot replenish.

44 Special is a great cartridge. Somewhat under rated and very under represented in CAS though. 44 Special can be loaded mild to almost wild and shooting 44 Specials out of a 44 Magnum really tames any recoil and those big 44 Magnum Ruger Vaqueros do that easily.

As for pricing? No less than any other Ruger revolver, especially in the current seller's market. Might take a touch longer to sell than a pair of 38/357s but they'll sell and the buyer will be happy to get them.

I have a pair of SS, one 4 1/2" and one 5 1/2 with full Ogelsby signature jobs-He replaces the barrel's with custom ones, line bored, rev. spin, trigger stop, hammer stop, action work, 1" at 25 yards. They are not for sale, but I would not take less than $3500 if they ever went on the market!

Thanks to all that contributed here and sent me numerous PM's, which I will try to respond to individually.  At this time, I am not choosing to sell the .44 Mag VQ's, but I was interested in whether there was any real interest in them and what they might actually be worth on today's market.  As others have stated here, I think the .44 Special is a decent CAS round and have used them in matches although they are not my main match handguns.  I have loaded .44 Specials from 600 fps to almost 900 fps with a 200 grain cast truncated cone bullet from an RCBS mold that I really like and all have been very manageable as far as recoil, etc.  I have also shot factory .44 Mags in them and can hardly believe anyone needs a handgun with that kind of power, maybe in bear country, etc.  Point is, these revolvers are very adaptable/flexible on the loads they shoot and even though I really don't need to keep them, I think I will, at least for now.  Thanks again for all the responses and good luck and good shooting to all.  

Archived