SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Old Vaquero Question

Cholla

Do the original Vaqueros have the free-spin feature when the loading gate is opened? 

No, I mean does the cylinder spin when the loading gate is opened or does it have to be taken to the half cock to allow the cylinder to spin. On my New Vaqueros I just open the loading gate and the cylinder spins freely to load/unload. My Colt SAA has to be on the second notch to allow the cylinder to spin.

Sorry, misunderstood.  Opening the loading gate frees the cylinder, they have no half cock.

Open loading gate, turn cylinder. All Ruger single actions are that way; think they always have been.

If ya do want that nice freespin, give Power Custom a jingle. That and other handy Ruger parts. Great Folks!

https://www.powercustom.com/

14 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Open loading gate, turn cylinder. All Ruger single actions are that way; think they always have been.

Pre-1973 Ruger single action revolvers (aka "3-screw" models) utilized a half cock to free the cylinder (same as Colt SAAs).
That was changed with the introduction of the "New Model" versions with transfer bars.

It's simple.    Look for the transfer bar under the hammer.   If it is there, the cylinder will turn when the gate is opened,    No transfer bar,   Cock the hammer before the gate.      GW

Archived