SASS Wire Forum

Bent Staff

Subdeacon Joe

I put the trash bin out for pick up tomorrow and noticed that our Annin flag seemed different.   Took a closer look and saw that the staff was bent just above the socket.

Brought it in to take a photograph,  then spent about 20 minutes trying to find a customer service link.  Finally found a link to sales. I fired off a note, including the photograph,  and asked that it be forwarded to the appropriate person. 

Then I chopped off the staff about an inch above the damage and set it out again. 

20210407_183107.jpg

31 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can you sleeve it with a wood dowel? 

OLG 

Yep.  I'll be stopping at the hardware store on Saturday and will pick up some dowel.  I'm just wondering how the heck it got bent.  

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Can you sleeve it with a wood dowel? 

OLG 

Hollowing out a dowel to sleeve that staff would be very time consuming. 

:P

Looks like someone tried to pull it down. :angry:

12 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The wood dowel goes INSIDE the tubular flag pole.it 

:P:lol:

OLG

Of course...but that’s not what you said. :lol:

8 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Looks like someone tried to pull it down. :angry:

I'm tending towards that line of thought.  Especially since about 4 months ago I noticed, as I was leaving for work, that the bracket had been partially torn off the wall, only one screw was holding it up.  One screw was left holding the bracket.  One 2 1/2 in sheet rock screw at the bottom of the bracket, through siding and into a 2 x 4.  Which meant that two such screws had been pulled out.  That night we had had winds of about 20 mph with gusts to about 45mph, so I didn't think much about it.  Yeah, it would take significant downward force, but leverage and all that.

3 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.................. maybe it was the wind ..........

(just trying to be helpful)

:mellow:

I had considered that but I checked a couple of personal weather stations near me and for the past week no winds over 17mph.

Here is what I posted on our "mobile home association" FB page:

I've been thinking about this since last night.
I put the trash bin out and noticed that our flag looked a bit odd. On a closer look I saws that the staff was bent at the socket. "Strange," I though, "we haven't had any winds that strong." But kind of wrote it off as One of Those Things. Chopped a few inches off of the staff and put it back out.
But early this morning I got to thinking, a few months ago the socket/bracket had been pulled loose and it was hanging by just one screw. One 2 1/2 inch sheet rock screw. Two such screws had somehow been pulled out. We had had some high winds so I didn't think much about it.
But twice with similar damage - indication of fairly strong downward force - got me to thinking that someone has been trying to pull down the flag. That bend was straight down. Winds for the past week have not exceeded about 17mph.
I hope it was just some kids passing through late at night.

Unfortunately, given the "RESIST!", "IMPEACH!" and Bernie bumper stickers I had seen on the cars of residents the past 4 years, I fear that it was some fellow residents taking offense at the flag.

Archived