SASS Wire Forum

Transmission Fluid changing

Lawdog Dago Dom

Ford E-150 conversion van tows our little camper around to matches. 135,000 on it and not sure if the transmission fluid has ever been changed.

Not experiencing any issues, just trying to make it last.

Get it changed or leave it alone?

Just now, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Ford E-150 conversion van tows our little camper around to matches. 135,000 on it and not sure if the transmission fluid has ever been changed.

I don't think it would hurt. If I had 135K on mine I'd probably do it!

Peace of mind, if nothing else!

Change it.

(My old Ford Econoline conversion  van lasted over 250,000 miles, with good maintenance.)

I should probably do it on my F250. Just turned 160K

Howdy,

A friend of mine was a lifelong auto mechanic. 

He bought a machine that changed ALL the automatic fluid.

Seems if you just drain and fill only about half the fluid is fresh.

Your money your choice.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

i've had a few vehicles woth over that mileage, but none the transmissions ever lasted much beyond seventy five thousand but one which made 105,000.  I changed the fluid about every 50,000 so only one got a second change. Some got topped off, though.

12 hours ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

What does the owners manual say to do?  Ask Ford Service for the best information.

:FlagAm: If a transmission has been serviced per manufacture's guidelines, ie: fluid and filter changed at recommended intervals, a power flush at over 100,000 miles is actually a good thing to do.  However, if the transmission has over 100,000 miles and has never been serviced, typically a power flush is not a good idea.  The power flush will dislodge a lot of junk that has accumulated, this is true.  But a good portion of that junk never really gets flushed out of the transmission.  It remains to circulate and cause problems in shift bodies and valving in the transmission.  This will eventually cause failure.  There are many shops that will recommend the flush on a high milage, non serviced transmissions.  They are in business to rebuild transmissions.  The best course of action is to just service.  Drop the pan, clean thoroughly, replace filter and add new, high quality fluid.  Also, if the pan does not have a magnet mounted inside, put one in.

This is based on my background and the friends I have in the business.

Regards,

Chas B

Archived