SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on steak

Pat Riot

Mushrooms sauteed in red wine with a bit of garlic

Or, sometime as as steak comes off the grille, it goes under the broiler to melt and crust blue cheese crumbles on top

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Internal color seems to be a big thing to some people.  Internal temperature is what matters though.  If your slice of dead cow flesh has reached an internal temperature of 145 then the USDA says it is safe to eat.  Any more "done" is just a matter of preference.  

I pull my thick bone in cowboy cut ribeye off the grill closer to 130...

...maybe I'll die

Then again, I'll die anyway.

So will vegans - and pescatarians - and dogs - and cats - and everyone else living on this particular plane of existence.

13 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

Internal color seems to be a big thing to some people.  Internal temperature is what matters though.  If your slice of dead cow flesh has reached an internal temperature of 145 then the USDA says it is safe to eat.  Any more "done" is just a matter of preference.  

I pull my thick bone in cowboy cut ribeye off the grill closer to 130...

...maybe I'll die

Then again, I'll die anyway.

So will vegans - and pescatarians - and dogs - and cats - and everyone else living on this particular plane of existence.

Considering your "Alias" (very appropriate) ... I was wondering when you were going to weigh in on this thread!! horse.gif.8144686d99b2ed36fbf37158a0b60b15.gif

I hate to differ with my down under compadre, but if the chef weren't important, I'd probably just always eat at home!!

I like my cooking and Schoolmarm has produced some truly remarkable meals, but a great meal, prepared for me by a skilled chef and presented by competent and knowledgeable wait staff, has no substitute!!

AND!!  A well prepared steak, served by a great waiter, is at the pinnacle of my pleasures!!  Better still with good friends as company!

On 4/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This was something that would set my Dad free. Ketchup on steak. 
If I put ketchup on steak there are only two reasons for it. 
1. It is a mangy piece of meat and someone made it for me so I gotta eat it. 
2. I really want to pizz somebody off. 

Ketchup on steak. Hangin’ offense?

If a stake is a good peace of meat and cooked right .

It needs nothing on it .

Other then that you got to do what you got to do  lol 

20 minutes ago, J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 said:

Ketchup on a good steak is an insult to the entire cow race!

It's not a matter of taste but a matter of tradition. It's what you're raised with.

23 minutes ago, J.C. Bell, SASS #15217 said:

Ketchup on a good steak is an insult to the entire cow race!

I've never seen a cow race! did it win? :rolleyes:

I forgot about this topic for a few days but managed to catch up.:rolleyes:

I'm diabetic so always looking for sugar free items. I found that Kroger has a ketchup with 50% less sugar but then discovered  J Hughes sugar free Hickory BBQ sauce and that's what I now use on my steaks.  :D

e1446f03-18ee-40a4-84bc-0681e21db92e_1.1da31daec910e473fac4e98a9c34158f.jpeg

On 4/7/2021 at 8:14 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

This was something that would set my Dad free. Ketchup on steak. 
If I put ketchup on steak there are only two reasons for it. 
1. It is a mangy piece of meat and someone made it for me so I gotta eat it. 
2. I really want to pizz somebody off. 

Ketchup on steak. Hangin’ offense?

Skipping the three pages of replies...

Ketchup on a steak?

I was just in the store a few days ago and was tempted by a piece of filet mignon. A good two inches thick and wide and long, probably a $30 piece... I was tempted.

But ketchup? That is a luxury these days, people won't even trade TP for it. That is 9mm territory!

But if you can afford luxuries, why not? I'll stick to an occasional filet mignon. Dry. I'm so stingy that I'll only eat half of one like the one I just saw, and stretch the other half into a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich, on good Sourdough Bread crisp out of the oven, with sautéed bell peppers and onions, and fine provolone cheese.

But ketchup on steak? Not in my pay grade!

I just remembered, as a kid I would use catsup on round steak.  

Hmmm...haven't had round steak in a decade or two.  Used to be just about everyone we knew had round steak once or twice a week.  In Cub Scouts we would all bring the well washed bones in, smooth out the inside, and burn our pack # into them along with our name and use them for kerchief slides. 

Archived