SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on steak

Pat Riot

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Properly prepared, quality meat doesn't need anything more than a bit of salt. 

It's a shame that folks waste it by making it a vehicle for their fixation on condiments.  If they like ketchup that much, then why not just pour some on light bread and eat it?

Since the way folks eat their steak has came up- again- let me get this out of the way.

I eat my steak medium well.  That's cooked until there's a light line of rosy pink in the center of the meat and the juices running clear with, maybe, a little pink in it.  I've had to have college level food safety training and had whole lectures on the bacteria and parasites that can infect a human by eating undercooked meat. I don't eat raw meat. 

Medium well isn't burnt shoe leather.  It also isn't still twitching.  If the person running the grill can't hit medium well, then he/she/it/they need to get with somebody that knows how to cook and take some lessons.

13 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Dont know for certain but I heard President Trump liked steak with ketchup.

So I tried it and not bad but sure not necessary.

I like a good steak just hot off the grille. None of any so called steak sauces for me.

Ive tried em and just dont understand how the heck they keep selling them.

Mushrooms sure nice for a change. Again not necessary.

I like to mix ketchup and spicy bbq sauce and put a LITTLE on fries.

Or again, plain and hot is fine.

Best

CR

He has no palette for good food.

14 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Heinz is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway and a Brazilian capital firm. Kerry gets nada.

His wife still owns 4%......

52 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I eat my steak medium well.  That's cooked until there's a light line of rosy pink in the center of the meat and the juices running clear with, maybe, a little pink in it.  I've had to have college level food safety training and had whole lectures on the bacteria and parasites that can infect a human by eating undercooked meat. I don't eat raw meat. 

Same here. 
I used to order my steak “medium rare”, then a friend of mine got sick from eating raw hamburger. He actually got worms. I started rethinking my meat cooking choice when this same friend and his roommate, who insisted on “rare” steak got so sick they ended up in the hospital for nearly a week. I cannot remember the prognosis but I remember how sick he was. That was when I started ordering my steak “medium”. Then some time during the 90’s steak “doneness” descriptors apparently changed and “Medium Well” became the old “Medium”.

Anyway, that’s how I like my steak and I make no excuses for it. “Real Men” can temp Botulism. I do not. 

19 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Heinz is now owned by Berkshire Hathaway and a Brazilian capital firm. Kerry gets nada.

4 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

His wife still owns 4%......

Regardless, my ketchup is Heinz or none at all. 

If people took the time to research all the political BS with companies and then decided to boycott those that have affiliations with activities they are against they would probably not be eating 2/3 of the stuff they eat now. 

8 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Welllllll ... I suppose you all are aware that we are "NOW" into an international ketchup shortage!

Scalpers are already selling ketchup packets on EBay. :o

https://abc7news.com/ketchup-shortage-covid-us-coronavirus-crocery-prices/10493189/

My Gawd, how will humanity survive?

36 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Regardless, my ketchup is Heinz or none at all. 

If people took the time to research all the political BS with companies and then decided to boycott those that have affiliations with activities they are against they would probably not be eating 2/3 of the stuff they eat now. 

I don't have to do research on politics.

There are two people in this world that I should never cross paths with..... John Kerry and Jane Fonda.

As a person who lives the carnivore diet, I prefer my steaks cooked w/o seasonings and then add a little salt at plating. 

Beef brisket, short ribs as well as Pork ribs are seasoned before smoking; I smoke using dry rubs only. 

Pork belly gets salt and fennel seeds, and may be served with a sugar-free dipping sauce on occasion. 

If a guest wants a sauce, condiment or gravy I try to accommodate them, they have different tastes and that's okay - just glad

to have a chance to feed guests at my table!

Ketchup and many other 'sauces' can be addicting - often because of the amount of corn syrup and such used in them.  Some folks

grew up in a household with a bad or uninterested cook, and had to cover up the flavor of things - If my cooking doesn't inspire

them to go ketchup free I do not take it as an affront!

SC

p.s. - I used to think that anyone who put water in their scotch was a philistine, I've since learned that the water really does help with some,

especially the cask strength expressions!  Live and learn . . . .

3 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

As a person who lives the carnivore diet, I prefer my steaks cooked w/o seasonings and then add a little salt at plating. 

Beef brisket, short ribs as well as Pork ribs are seasoned before smoking; I smoke using dry rubs only. 

Pork belly gets salt and fennel seeds, and may be served with a sugar-free dipping sauce on occasion. 

If a guest wants a sauce, condiment or gravy I try to accommodate them, they have different tastes and that's okay - just glad

to have a chance to feed guests at my table!

Ketchup and many other 'sauces' can be addicting - often because of the amount of corn syrup and such used in them.  Some folks

grew up in a household with a bad or uninterested cook, and had to cover up the flavor of things - If my cooking doesn't inspire

them to go ketchup free I do not take it as an affront!

SC

p.s. - I used to think that anyone who put water in their scotch was a philistine, I've since learned that the water really does help with some,

especially the cask strength expressions!  Live and learn . . . .

Ketchup and the other sauces were developed to cover the taste of meat about to go bad back before refrigeration.

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here. 
I used to order my steak “medium rare”, then a friend of mine got sick from eating raw hamburger. He actually got worms. I started rethinking my meat cooking choice when this same friend and his roommate, who insisted on “rare” steak got so sick they ended up in the hospital for nearly a week. I cannot remember the prognosis but I remember how sick he was. That was when I started ordering my steak “medium”. Then some time during the 90’s steak “doneness” descriptors apparently changed and “Medium Well” became the old “Medium”.

Anyway, that’s how I like my steak and I make no excuses for it. “Real Men” can temp Botulism. I do not. 

Internal temp is the key to fighting bacteria.  Over 140 and they die quick and in mass.  Any contamination on the outside is killed off by the flame or heat of the cooking until the internal temperature is achieved.

That only works on cuts of meat.  Ground meat doesn't  have an inside or outside, so they need to be cooked

D O N E. 

In the restaurant I managed,  we used 160 +/-5 as the benchmark for ground beef.

The same temps will work for most parasites,  although there is one species of worm that infests some fish that will form cysts and go dormant that is resistant up to 150, if memory serves.  Then, there's the parasitic worm in fish that crawls back up your esophagus and hooks on to the back of your throat.

PS

It probably won't be botulism- but Salmonella, Taeniasis or Trichinosis are possibilities depending on what kind of meat they were eating.  I guess 'real men' have tapeworms.

22 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Well I never tried it but I like ketchup and I like steak so I'm just sayin'.............:lol:

I like pizza and I like watermelon... but not together  just sayin’....but you and my wife can sit at the same table.

16 hours ago, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

If there is a verb, noun, or a pejorative adjective(i.e. hamburger, swiss, sorry, plant-based, & etc) before the word "steak", feel free to add ketchup; if it is "steak" alone, then no.

Usually a pat of real butter and a dash of salt is all I put on steaks.

I managed a three different Ponderosa Steak Houses in Peoria and Pekin, Illinois in 1971-1972.  The man who owned the franchise was the brother of the founder and they were both really compulsive about putting good meat in front of their customers.  In the 13 months I worked for them we went through six managers and five assistant managers, and a whole herd of cooks.

I always wondered why anyone else cared how I eat my food.  I damn sure don’t care how anyone else eats their food.

But I’m weird.  I’d rather have a good hamburger steak than any other meat.

12 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here. 

That’s a problem with ground beef and none of the burger chains will sell anything other than well done burgers.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I too, like a GOOD Hamburger steak or sandwich. With dill pickles and ketchup and yellow mustard., and a big ole slice of Walla Walla or vidalia onion.

Hamburger steak?

Battered and fried in butter with gravy made from the drippings, served with mashed potatoes or rice and hot biscuits.

I'll get to try a sandwich one day but there's never any leftovers when we have it.

I'm a Kansan and of course eat steak and potatoes every week but grill my meats to medium well (pink) because if it's bloody I feel it's unhealthy. 

I once visited a famous steakhouse in Grand Island, Nebraska.  Dreisbach's Steakhouse, my Nebraska friend ordered his T-bone steak rare and his first bite 

rendered blood dripping down his cheek. Not too appetizing  for me and my $40 Port house.

Kansas has a great BBQ tradition and wonderful stops along the way from KC to Emporia to Wichita. Williamsburg (Guy and Maes) has the best pork ribs ever served on news paper with sauce on the side. I've never found anything more savory and delicious that falls clean off the bone better!

On 4/7/2021 at 7:54 PM, Michigan Slim said:

Hanging offense. Worked in a five star restaurant as a teen. I remember Chef Zoli charging out to the dining room when a lady ordered A1 steak sauce for her fillet! He was so upset he had tears in his eyes. $50.00 piece of meat and she wanted fancy ketchup. 

I had that happen to me once but I wouldn't even know where to find a 4 star restaurant, much less a 5 (I thought the stars topped out at 3).  I asked for the A1 and the waiter told me it insulted the chef.  I told him I didn't give a damn and to bring me the A1.  I'd eaten there before so I knew they had it.  This chef must have been new.  Sure enough the chef (I assume, I mean i can't tell by the uniform who does what in a kitchen) came out of the kitchen with the bottle saying something like "Who's the cretin who wants to ruin my steak.  If you don't like it I'll just take it back".  I stood up and told him it was me and to calm down.  I like A1 on my baked potatoe.  He waited around to make sure I put it on the potatoe. 

A1 is fancy ketchup.  Anyone who doesn't know that must not have ever bought it.  It's right there on the ketchup aisle in every grocery store I've ever been in. 

5 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Well I'm glad to hear it's still OK to put ketchup on eggs. -_-

You heard wrong.  Once when I was a kid we had family visiting.  One morning we were eating eggs and my cousin got the ketchup out.  I told him we didn't allow ketchup on eggs in our house.  He was like "Why".  My house my rules that's why.  So naturally he dumped ketchup all over his eggs and completely missed the hash browns.  He got up to get a fork.  When he returned his plate was on the ground and the dog was eating it.  The look on his face was priceless.  When he got his second plate he only put the ketchup on his hash browns.  BTW that was my dad's rule I just happen to wholeheartedly agree with it. 

When I go to a denny's or some other breakfast place I can't even stand to have ketchup on the table.  It turns my stomach.  It's funny because often the waitress will just keep bringing ketchup.  I had one time when there were 6 bottles on the table behind me by the end of the meal.  For some reason the woman kept bringing more. 

58 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I'm a little partial to a sparse smear of Vegemite on a well cooked steak; ...

.. and if you don't like it you are a racist bigot ...   :P

when I can get vegemite here I smear it on a pot roast and cook it. Does that count :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

A1 is fancy ketchup.  Anyone who doesn't know that must not have ever bought it.  It's right there on the ketchup aisle in every grocery store I've ever been in. 

So is the mayonnaise and the pickle relish. Does not make either one of those ketchup.

5 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

I'm a little partial to a sparse smear of Vegemite on a well cooked steak; ...

.. and if you don't like it you are a racist bigot ...   :P

Come on, Jack!  We all know that Aussies actually don't like Vegemite.

When somebody told ya'll that it was a beer byproduct, all ya'll only paid attention to was the beer part and the whole bunch of you are too stubborn to admit the mistake.:P

Ketchup on a steak is not a hanging offense, but totally unnecessary unless it has been aging outside in the summer or the dog wouldn't eat it. I prefer a steak sauce for those unfortunate pieces. To each his own. If it is a good piece of meat, any condiment covers the flavor that should be savored by any true meat lover.

14 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Usually a pat of real butter and a dash of salt is all I put on steaks.

I managed a three different Ponderosa Steak Houses in Peoria and Pekin, Illinois in 1971-1972.  The man who owned the franchise was the brother of the founder and they were both really compulsive about putting good meat in front of their customers.  In the 13 months I worked for them we went through six managers and five assistant managers, and a whole herd of cooks.

When I was a kid Ponderosa and Bonanza steak houses were my favorite restaurants. I liked Ponderosa better of the two, but my Dad loved Bonanza because it was owned

by Dan Blocker and my Dad loved the show “Bonanza”   

Unfortunately there are only 25 locations for Ponderosa or Bonanza Steakhouses now. The franchises were merged sometime in the 1980’s, I believe. 
https://locations.pon-bon.com/united-states

The corporate morons that own them now refer to them as “Pon-Bons”. Grrrr

I could slap me some syllable saving morons sometimes. 

All I know is that if I cook you a steak and you put ketchup on it I will kick you out of my house. Before you eat. 

23 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Same here. 

So, from my limited understanding, parasites that can cause illness such as E-Coli and what not do not penetrate solid cuts of meat like steaks. burgers need to be cooked well done becuase they're ground up and the bacteria/parasites can get into the middle of the patty. Steaks shouldn't have that problem. Granted I'm not a scientist so it could all be BS haha. 

10 minutes ago, John Ruth said:

So, from my limited understanding, parasites that can cause illness such as E-Coli and what not do not penetrate solid cuts of meat like steaks. burgers need to be cooked well done becuase they're ground up and the bacteria/parasites can get into the middle of the patty. Steaks shouldn't have that problem. Granted I'm not a scientist so it could all be BS haha. 

I do understand how my friend got worms from raw hamburger, but I really do not recall what he and his roommate got from the rare steak. Apparently it was the only thing they both ate that the doctor could pin their illness on. Regardless, it cured me of eating under done meats. 

18 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Ketchup and the other sauces were developed to cover the taste of meat about to go bad back before refrigeration.

Aye, just as the Chinese invented various hot dishes to help protect against the bacteria on old and unrefrigerated meats.

However, what we call ketchup today is not what was used hundreds of years ago.

SC

2 hours ago, John Ruth said:

When Lassiter founded Ponderosa (He sold the whole chain in about 1973.) there was a state law in Illinois that set bottom limits for cooking meat.  Lost some customers because I would not violate that law.

We also had a couple who came in every Friday night and asked us to remove the grill a cook their steaks to a crisp directly on the burners.

Takes all kinds.

Archived