SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on steak

Pat Riot

This was something that would set my Dad free. Ketchup on steak. 
If I put ketchup on steak there are only two reasons for it. 
1. It is a mangy piece of meat and someone made it for me so I gotta eat it. 
2. I really want to pizz somebody off. 

Ketchup on steak. Hangin’ offense?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I never tried it but I like ketchup and I like steak so I'm just sayin'.............:lol:

Not a whole lotta difference between that and Heinz 57 is there?

I think if it were a nice cut of meat that I had prepared and knew I had done well, and someone put ketchup on it, I would take offense. If it were a cut prepared in some of the DFACs I've eaten at, I might ask you to pass the bottle if nothing else were available.

Think of it as a tomato and vinegar BBQ sauce.  Same thing.  If you are going to put sauce on a steak, other than the pan juices mounted with some butter, what difference does it make if it is fermented fish kitsap (Worcestershire sauce), Carolina BBQ sauce (Place apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a sauce pan.), or your favorite brand of store bought catsup?

1 minute ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Think of it as a tomato and vinegar BBQ sauce.  Same thing.  If you are going to put sauce on a steak, other than the pan juices mounted with some butter, what difference does it make if it is fermented fish kitsap (Worcestershire sauce), Carolina BBQ sauce (Place apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, ketchup, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a sauce pan.), or your favorite brand of store bought catsup?

Now remember you are just a guest here.  If you keep up this anti-steakal behaviour you may be awarded penalty points.  AND you know how serious that is.

Not really steak, but

My father invited a co-worker to dinner one night and Mama made a standing rib roast. The coworker asked for ketchup. Mama got him the ketchup bottle, but after he went home she told Daddy that he was not allowed to ever come back into HER house again.

Hanging offense. Worked in a five star restaurant as a teen. I remember Chef Zoli charging out to the dining room when a lady ordered A1 steak sauce for her fillet! He was so upset he had tears in his eyes. $50.00 piece of meat and she wanted fancy ketchup. 

I'm a Kansan so raised on smoked BBQ and of course ketchup. I love catfish but can't eat it without ketchup. LOL

I'm recently diagnosed as a diabetic and the red sauce is high in sugar so I had to find some kind of substitute. I finally did!

G Hughes has a variety of savory BBQ sauces that are sugar free. I prefer hickory smokehouse but mesquite is now on my shopping list.

No ketchup. No steak sauce. Nothing but some mushrooms.

If you really want to turn your stomach..... Think of it as donating to John Kerry's lifestyle!

11 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Now remember you are just a guest here.  If you keep up this anti-steakal behaviour you may be awarded penalty points.  AND you know how serious that is.

Anti-steak? 

Sir, you are mistaken! I  am thoroughly PRO-steak.  I  point out that it matters naught what adulterants are used to mask the pure flavor of beef, the one being no better than the other, and what do I  get?  INSULTS!   Why, Sir, if you were worth one more word, I should call you knave!

:D

Generally, no... but I have in my lifetime salvaged many a meal of marginal "steak" with a judicious application of ketchup.  Actually made a barely tolerable hunk o' burned cow somewhat enjoyable.

But generally, no.  

I do agree with Bob ~ mushrooms are fine!  ^_^

Well the correct question would be define steak ? Because beef ribs , brisket, roast , tri tip etc all taste mighty fine with BBQ sauce ( catsup based ) Now if we are talking the term steak and that type of cut of meat , it is AO -K to put on whatever the eater wants  . I just don't.

my 2cents worth

26 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If I knew what that was I might take offense!

It's the card that falls between the Queen and the 10.

To me, only thing worse than ketchup on a steak, is a steak cooked well-done. Look, if I wanted to eat leather I'd a just taken a bite out of my belt.

But you know what, at the end of the day, I like for people to have their simple pleasures. If squirting some artificially colored artificially flavored sugar paste on their steak gives someone a smile, who am I to stop em.

He will not be invited to my campfire a second time,   probaly get a burger if he came back    GW

45 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

If I knew what that was I might take offense!

Knave may refer to:

• A rogue (vagrant), a rascal, deceitful fellow, a dishonest man
  • Another name for Jack, in card games
  • A male domestic worker, a person who works within the employer's household (kitchen boy in Middle English)
  • A male infant, peasants or lower class laborers

:P

Howdy,

Dont know for certain but I heard President Trump liked steak with ketchup.

So I tried it and not bad but sure not necessary.

I like a good steak just hot off the grille. None of any so called steak sauces for me.

Ive tried em and just dont understand how the heck they keep selling them.

Mushrooms sure nice for a change. Again not necessary.

I like to mix ketchup and spicy bbq sauce and put a LITTLE on fries.

Or again, plain and hot is fine.

Best

CR

Take 2 slices of good sourdough bread,  slather what will become the inside of the sandwich with soft butter,  cover one slice with slices of sizzling hot steak  (OK, warm slices after it has rested) sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, slap the other slice of bread on it, butter side on the inside.  Wait a minute or two for the butter to melt.   Enjoy with a cold beer or your favorite libation.

Doesn't bother me at all, but people who shoot light smokeless .38's REALLY piss me off! I grab their ammo boxes, throw them over the berm and tell them to never come back. EVER. :angry:

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

Not a whole lotta difference between that and Heinz 57 is there?

I think if it were a nice cut of meat that I had prepared and knew I had done well, and someone put ketchup on it, I would take offense. If it were a cut prepared in some of the DFACs I've eaten at, I might ask you to pass the bottle if nothing else were available.

Both are sacrilege on steaks.

I’ll send a steak back if it needs more than a little pepper or salt, AND I TASTE IT FIRST!!

I went to a Kansas City steakhouse with some of my racing buddies, years ago. The first thing I noticed was a sign over the entrance that said they wouldn’t guarantee the texture or taste of any steak that was served other than rare!

While we were eating, I heard a guy at a nearby table ask for “A1”!  My boss chuckled and told us all, “Watch this!!”

In just a second, the chef appeared at the guy’s table, cleaver in hand, demanding to know “What’s wrong with ‘MY’ steak??” He was offended that someone would ask for steak sauce! “If there’s something wrong with that steak, I’ll burn you another one!”  The guy was stunned, but cut a piece and ate it.  He decided no condiment was needed.

I like my steak on the rare side of medium rare.  The sear and any rub are all that’s necessary in most cases.  Black pepper and maybe a little salt are all that’s ever added.  I do like a good horseradish with my prime rib, also medium rare.

Any GOOD steakhouse will cook another serving if you’re not satisfied with the steak you receive.

About the only thing I will put on steak when it’s on my plate is an occasional few drops of Tabasco. I like the green one on beef.

I do not use A-1 or Worcestershire juice at all. Hate that stuff on steak. 

I recently tried Cholula Chili Garlic Sauce on a steak that was overdone. I overdid it myself, darn it!

Anyway, that was damn good. That sauce is good on most any meat. It’s a good spaghetti sauce enhancement too. It’s also really good on a Philly Cheesesteak sammich too  image.thumb.jpeg.be916a449a33c914ff7483f60cc8d81d.jpeg

If there is a verb, noun, or a pejorative adjective(i.e. hamburger, swiss, sorry, plant-based, & etc) before the word "steak", feel free to add ketchup; if it is "steak" alone, then no.

For context - it its original form, ketchup originated in imperial china - - a fish sauce, called “ge-thcup” or “koe-cheup” by speakers of the Southern Min dialect.  In its early form it was made out of things like oysters, mussels, mushrooms, walnuts, lemons, celery and even fruits

tomato based ketchup came along much later

In my younger days, I would put that rich and salty sweet tomato-jam red sauce on almost every meat dish that I ate.   Even into my 20's it was not uncommon to put a little of that magical red sauce on a Waffle House T-Bone at fried eggs at 3am when my taste buds were still hurting from too much distilled grain.

These days, the thought of people putting catsup on a nicely done filet or a well marbled rib-eye makes me feel sad for the future of mankind.  On the other hand, many people like their steak well done - if you are eating a piece of meat that has been cooked to that level of doneness, theres no harm in a dollop of that spicy-sweet pureed tomato  jam to reintroduce a little juiciness into a piece of cow flesh that has had most of the juice cooked out of it.

No harm at all.

Ketchup on a medium rare slice of prime rib - no thanks

Catsup on a rare cooked filet - I'll pass

Ketchup on a dry-aged New York strip cooked well done - enjoy your meal Mr president

What do I care - people should eat what and how they like - criticizing someones choice of condiments is only one step away from MIley Cyrus judging me for having meat on my plate because I am destroying the planet and murdering someones pets.

...but yeah, ketchup on a high quality slice of dry aged prime beef?   Sweet baby Jesus save us from the injustice

We really like Cholula on popcorn...  with lots of butter.
This is one of the key ingredients in Grampa's "usgusting" popcorn  (named by grand daughter, a long time back).

Catsup is for fries... and fries are for non-diabetics.
IMO, putting catsup on steak is abusing your meat...

Real meat abuse is a lousy steak.
A week back at a dinner party, my friend ordered a rib eye that was SO bad.. he just took it home for his dog.

My Dad used to like "well done" steak... and would send it back in his best Ugly American Manner if not cooked enough.
I once told the waitress, "Burn the shit out of it... turn it into nuclear waste"
She did just that, and Dad loved that burned up crap.  Go figure.

Archived