SASS Wire Forum

Is corn a vegetable?

My oldest daughter had me laughing this weekend.

She works in a Taco-rea...

It is in an area we call 'snob hill'...

And many 'snobby' educated folk apparently like to go there for tacos.

Of course these are fancy, many different types...

She had me on the floor, when one customer asked her if the corn tortillas were glueten free!!!:ph34r:

She asked the woman if she realized corn tortillas were litterally made from CORN.

And the best one yet...

" are these corn tortillas vegitarian?"

(I assume she was making sure animal lard was not involved in the making)

I love how my daughter answered with simple fact, in a 'bless your little heart" voice.

Oh my...help us all!!!

Corn is a tracer food! To be used after you swallow something need to find.:P

Ketchup is consider a vegetable,  remember?

I actually get the question about vegan tortillas.  Lard is a big component in a lot of traditional cooking and if the taqueria is trying to be super authentic,  it would be plausible that lard was used somewhere in the preparation.

I do sympathize with her plight, though.  It's amazing just how out of fouch with reality some self proclaimed 'elites' are. 

I had a young professor try to score some points off of me (he was trying to show off in front of some cute exchange student)- once. It's the middle of the lunch rush and he asks me how many of the nuclear powers I could name.  If he hadn't been smirking when he asked the question, I would have blew him off using work as an excuse.  Instead, I started rattling them off- with a commentary on each one.  The more I talked, the smaller that smirk became- until he looked over at the cute little exchange student beside him and realized that I was answering his question but I was talking to her and she was smiling.  After that his smirk was a frown and they suddenly had someplace else to be.

46 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

She had me on the floor, when one customer asked her if the corn tortillas were glueten free!!!:ph34r:

100% corn is gluten free. For those with legitimate gluten issues, even the small amount from a wheat flour filler can have serious side effects. 

47 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

And the best one yet...

" are these corn tortillas vegitarian?"

(I assume she was making sure animal lard was not involved in the making)

Correct. If someone values an animal-free diet, for whatever reason, lard can be an issue. 

49 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

I love how my daughter answered with simple fact, in a 'bless your little heart" voice.

How about a “Thank you for coming in” voice?

49 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

100% corn is gluten free. For those with legitimate gluten issues, even the small amount from a wheat flour filler can have serious side effects. 

Correct. If someone values an animal-free diet, for whatever reason, lard can be an issue. 

Sometimes the "stupid question" isn't so stupid. 

Usually it is,  but sometimes it has sound reasons behind it. 

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

... customer asked her if the corn tortillas were glueten free!!!:ph34r:

58 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

If the 100% gluten-free corn tortilla is heated on the same grill as the wheat tortillas, it is no longer gluten-free. Preparing gluten-free food requires extremely strict isolation. The smallest cross-contamination can result in hospitalization.

Celiac disease is a serious zero-tolerance disease, and most food preparers just don't get it. Glad I do not have that disease.

Folks who are seriously vegan or have celiac disease are going to know that little shops like that ain't going to have separate grills, separate fryers, separate tools and everything required for truly isolated cooking.  Go to a local taco shop and you're going to "catch as catch can".  These folks are "casual vegans" and "gluten-freers", or seriously uneducated about their desires/disease.  Most taco shop employees don't have the time or the training to be educating the customer.  

So, the next you order a vegetarian pizza from the local fast-pizza place... It ain't.

43 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

If the 100% gluten-free corn tortilla is heated on the same grill as the wheat tortillas, it is no longer gluten-free. Preparing gluten-free food requires extremely strict isolation. The smallest cross-contamination can result in hospitalization.

Celiac disease is a serious zero-tolerance disease, and most food preparers just don't get it. Glad I do not have that disease.

For example m&ms are produced in two separate buildings, the nut free building and the nut building.

57 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Yes...they do a completely seperate prep area if someone says they have the disease.

2 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

She is very pleasant and friendly with people.

I suppose you have to had been around the people that reside in the area to get the 'humor' in the thread.:wub:

42 minutes ago, McCandless said:

Folks who are seriously vegan or have celiac disease are going to know that little shops like that ain't going to have separate grills, separate fryers, separate tools and everything required for truly isolated cooking.  Go to a local taco shop and you're going to "catch as catch can".  These folks are "casual vegans" and "gluten-freers", or seriously uneducated about their desires/disease.  Most taco shop employees don't have the time or the training to be educating the customer.  

So, the next you order a vegetarian pizza from the local fast-pizza place... It ain't.

Bingo!

Forget Gluten and Vegan.  Corn tortilla's fried in lard or animal fat is wonderful.  So good.  The way God intended. 

And, you don't have to worry about the weight you may put on....because it doesn't belong to you.

Birdgun's fractured interpretation scripture verse:

Leviticus 3:16b

....it is the food of the offering made by fire for a sweet savour: all the fat is the LORD'S.

^_^

i guess depending on how you look at it it could be a fruit or a grain or a vegetable , im certain science has established the category , that is unless algore has some consensus that changes science again , 

- its not a meat , 

I thought everything solid in the world was either an animal a vegetable or a mineral. Since corn ain't an animal, and it ain't a rock, it pretty much has to be a vegetable.

It is sold on the cob for human consumption in the VEGETABLE isles.

Sold as popcorn in the snack isles.

Sold as corn meal with flour on the baking isle.

Corn flakes on the cereal isle.

As grain for animal feed.

Yup, corn is it's own beastie.

Wheat germ for human consumption.

Crackers in the snack aisle.

Puffed wheat in the cereal aisle.

Flour in the baking aisle.

And it is sold for animal feed.

I think that covers just about all grains.

15 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Then, there's Corn Nuts.:huh:

Years ago we had a customer show up a couple times a month for years.  One day the wife started talling how they loved the Mexican restaurant in town. How the food tasted so much better.  I said, "Do you know why, they fry their food in lard.".  She was a mature, intelligent woman but she had to ask what was lard. I explained that it was pork fat.  She was literally gagging at the thought. I wonder if they ever went back. 

You could see the bussing area that they cleaned the table had 5 gallons buckets marked "Manteca" they were using to seporate the flatware,  dishes,  leftovers,  etc. 

When we shopped for groceries,  we would have to look for lard in the ethnic isle. 

It just confounds me that the helth food experts and government guidelines have determined that foods humans have eaten for hundreds of thousands of years are now unhealthy.  

6 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

For example m&ms are produced in two separate buildings, the nut free building and the nut building.

We don’t have any “nut free” buildings where I work...

35 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

It just confounds me that the helth food experts and government guidelines have determined that foods humans have eaten for hundreds of thousands of years are now unhealthy.  

Shhhh...let them eat what they want. We may outlast them. ;)

3 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

.... looks to be schizophrenic to me ......   <_<

7 hours ago, Singin&#x27; Sue 71615 said:

And as corn syrup or starch in about every other product in every aisle.  

But corn is at its best when sold at a fruit stand in July with its husk intact.  Steam or roast it that night with a spot of butter and pepper and it’s just about perfect.

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

And as corn syrup or starch in about every other product in every aisle.  

But corn is at its best when sold at a fruit stand in July with its husk intact.  Steam or roast it that night with a spot of butter and pepper and it’s just about perfect.

I don't have any medical issues...but without a gallbladder, corn is the only thing I can't seem to eat any longer. Sure miss the cob, chips, tamales, ect!

I can't eat corn anymore, since I am type II diabetic, and corn is a big time carbohydrate. I do miss it.

To reverse type II, and get off all meds, I have to abstain from carbs, and I have to lose weight. 

I asked him about drinking skim milk. He said: you cannot lose weight drinking skim milk, since they remove all the milk fat out of skim milk, and that then just leaves the milk sugars. He said you could lose weight drinking heavy cream, faster than you could lose weight drinking skim milk.

The "experts" have had this backwards all this time. He told me to stay away from skim/low fat milk. 

Makes you wonder what else they have wrong.

5 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I can't eat corn anymore, since I am type II diabetic, and corn is a big time carbohydrate. I do miss it.

To reverse type II, and get off all meds, I have to abstain from carbs, and I have to lose weight. 

I asked him about drinking skim milk. He said: you cannot lose weight drinking skim milk, since they remove all the milk fat out of skim milk, and that then just leaves the milk sugars. He said you could lose weight drinking heavy cream, faster than you could lose weight drinking skim milk.

The "experts" have had this backwards all this time. He told me to stay away from skim/low fat milk. 

Makes you wonder what else they have wrong.

Eggs are your friend.  I eat 3 eggs fried in lard and bacon or sausage every morning.  More protein the better. 

Answering the question of whether or not corn is a vegetable sounds like it would be simple. In fact, it’s a little more complicated than it appears.

Whole corn, like you eat on the cob, is considered a vegetable. The corn kernel itself (where popcorn comes from) is considered a grain. To be more specific, this form of corn is a “whole” grain.

To complicate things a little more, many grains including popcorn are considered to be a fruit. This is because they come from the seed or flower part of the plant.

In contrast, vegetables are from the leaves, stems, and other parts of a plant. This is why several foods people think of as vegetables are actually fruits, like tomatoes and avocados.

So, corn is actually a vegetable, a whole grain, and a fruit. But no matter what form it comes in or what category it falls into, corn is good for you and can be part of a healthy diet. Even plain popcorn can be healthy when prepared without oil, butter, or salt.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Is-corn-a-grain-or-a-vegetable

Jul 17, 2019
KNOWLEDGE ARTICLE
Corn can be considered either a grain or a vegetable, based on when it is harvested. The maturity level of corn at harvest affects both its use at meals and its nutritional value. Corn that is harvested when fully mature and dry is considered a grain. It can be milled into cornmeal and used in such foods as corn tortillas and cornbread. Popcorn is also harvested when mature, and is considered to be a whole grain. On the other hand, fresh corn (e.g., corn on the cob, frozen corn kernels) is harvested when it is soft and has kernels full of liquid. Fresh corn is considered a starchy vegetable. Its nutrient content differs from dry corn, and it is eaten in different ways -- often on the cob, as a side dish, or mixed with other vegetables.

1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

Eggs are your friend.  I eat 3 eggs fried in lard and bacon or sausage every morning.  More protein the better. 

Right on, brother. Protein, fatty acids, little to no carbs...will get one off type II meds. Not expensive, so big pharma doesn't like it. It's a dietary disease, and diet is the only thing that will reverse it.  

Daddy lived after his 90th bday...lived alone, took care of his daily routine.

He would eat 2 slices of bacon, 2 eggs and a big spoon of chopped green chilie every morning. Continued that after mom passed.

At 90, his heart gave out.

Stayed sharp a week , and quietly left.

His last weeks diet was rainbow sherbert...wich he loved.

He said life was good.

9 hours ago, Singin&#x27; Sue 71615 said:

I don't have any medical issues...but without a gallbladder, corn is the only thing I can't seem to eat any longer. Sure miss the cob, chips, tamales, ect!

Oh My Gosh, I have been doing it all wrong for years........Come back little Gall Bladd......Never mind!

Archived