SASS Wire Forum

Questions about a factory engraved Uberti 1866

Jackson Haller

Hi all,

Came across a NIB Uberti 1866 rifle which is engraved by Bottega C. Giovanelli.  It's set up like the Anniversay model they put out in 2016; carbine barrel and fore end, with rifle buttstock, but the engraving (signed by Giovanelli), is NOT like what I see on the Anniversary model.  It's in 45 colt and listed at $1800 and looks like new old stock to me. Does anybody know if Uberti did another run of these with an alternate engraving pattern to the Anniversary model?

Here's a link to pic of the Anniversay model:

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/rifles/news/uberti-1866-yellowboy-engraved-150th-anniversary-edition

Sacramento, 

I have no idea on the actual answer to your question; but it is common (before his passing my father collected them) to create what were called salesman promotional samples.

These were usually versions of the stock firearm in non standard form (nicer figured or checkered wood, different finish or plating) and often times custom hand engraved in place of the factory's stamped or etched designs.

Theoretically, in the olden days, these were used by salesmen visiting individual shops to build excitement around a new model or change.  In later years; they would be magazine models or promotion fodder.  A NIB custom I would bet falls into promotional old stock now being released for sale.

From the article:

The Uberti 1866 commemorative edition comes in just 350 pieces, with a 20 inches round barrel

I hope there is a discount for having to put it together yourself. Btw, doesn’t 350 pieces sound like a lot of parts for a single rifle? :D

Sacramento,

I do not have answer for your question but I have one of the engraved 150th 1866's and I got it in early 2017 and have used it since for Classic Cowboy matches.  Other than short stroking it and reinforcing the loading gate it is stock and always reliable.  I always get lots of looks when I shoot with it.  Have to keep it shiny ya know!  If I knew how to attach a picture I would show ya.

Caladisi Kid :)

Archived