SASS Wire Forum

Decision Time

The last few years have been tough for my cowboy shooting. I have had both shoulders replaced and my right one has not responded very well. Doc says more surgery might be in the future. I shoot Gunfighter and cannot hold my pistol up with my right hand. I also have problems supporting my long guns (I shoot lefty) with my right arm. 

Been shooting CAS for 20 years (I am 79 now) and have some tough decisions to make. To shoot or not to shoot. I can shoot 2 handed, but will still have to find a way to support the forends of my long guns. I can still shoot Bulls Eye because its 2 handed and I am pretty good at that. 

I love shooting and especially all the great people in this sport.  Not sure what I'm going to do , but sure spending a lot of time thinking about it. I tried to shoot last weekend at our club's monthly shoot and it was a disaster. I got one stage in and quit because I just didn't feel safe. 

I still shoot modern action handgun matches.  I shoot a 1911 or a double action revolver.  Might try shooting these if you cannot hold up a long gun.  You get to shoot while moving and don't have to remember complicated sweeps.  It's fun and the people are nice.  The younger shooters don't understand why I don't shoot a plastic gun topped by a red dot sight.

I don't know what guns you shoot, but you might try some of the lighter long guns out there. You might also try Duelist with your good hand or a two handed discipline. You might come to a match now and then just to visit with your friends if you can't shoot anymore. Surgery isn't fun.

I've shoot both Duelist and Double Duelist. I could shoot Duelist. I shoot a 73 and an SKB. I also shoot .45 Frontier Cartridge. Supporting the long gun is the biggest problem.

Shoot in any way that will keep you shooting.  If two-hand hold is what you need, then do it that way.  Substitute two more pistols for the rifle.  Shotgun from the hip.  Any way you can do it.

27 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I've shoot both Duelist and Double Duelist. I could shoot Duelist. I shoot a 73 and an SKB. I also shoot .45 Frontier Cartridge. Supporting the long gun is the biggest problem.

Could you manage a '92 Winchester? Much lighter than the toggle actions and as Nate Kiowa Jones has proven thru the years, can be made really smooth.

For a time after shoulder surgery I shot my shotgun from the hip. It was surprisingly easier than I anticipated and accuracy was pretty good after a couple of matches

I know how you feel @Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life

I have no cartilage in my left shoulder so I choke up the forend on my long guns. I hold my rifle forend at the very rear. For the size of the targets and the distance it accuracy isn’t a consideration. 
I have considered just going with a carbine and loading on the clock. 

I place my left hand in my armpit to act as a support for my right hand dualist. It works.  My left arm needs surgery but, I bring my left hand back to the frame and try and tuck my elbow against my chest. Like you would shooting offhand, long rang.  Works for me.

Time is a cruel thief to rob us of our former selves....

13 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

The last few years have been tough for my cowboy shooting. I have had both shoulders replaced and my right one has not responded very well. Doc says more surgery might be in the future. I shoot Gunfighter and cannot hold my pistol up with my right hand. I also have problems supporting my long guns (I shoot lefty) with my right arm. 

Been shooting CAS for 20 years (I am 79 now) and have some tough decisions to make. To shoot or not to shoot. I can shoot 2 handed, but will still have to find a way to support the forends of my long guns. I can still shoot Bulls Eye because its 2 handed and I am pretty good at that. 

I love shooting and especially all the great people in this sport.  Not sure what I'm going to do , but sure spending a lot of time thinking about it. I tried to shoot last weekend at our club's monthly shoot and it was a disaster. I got one stage in and quit because I just didn't feel safe. 

I'm also 79 and haven't shot a match in almost ten years, but I still go to a range where I can shoot while babying my tired old body.  I usually sit on a bench and use all manner of things to rest my irons on.  It isn't CAS, but with my collection of guns I can usually draw a crowd of the curios folks around,and I've met some new friends ,as well.

Don't feel lonely.  I'm in that boat with you.  It's not finishing last so much as the outright physical discomfort of going through the motions.

Well, OK, finishing last hurts, too.

Might sound silly, so please forgive me as I'm new...

What about a Mare's Leg if SASS legal?

1 hour ago, Joeronimo Caffiend said:

Might sound silly, so please forgive me as I'm new...

What about a Mare's Leg if SASS legal?

Mare's leg not sass legal, but there are a lot of things that can be permitted at the local level for disability. 

21 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Hey, an idea. How about getting permission to shoot matches “Josey Wales” style two-handed?

+10

We have a shooter that has issues shooting long guns. We allow him to to shoot whatever guns he is able to and make  special category to suit. What matters to all his posse mates is that he comes out and has fun. Not how many firearms he can shoot.

I got one stage in and quit because I just didn't feel safe. 

... you may have answered your own question.

With the fact you may do more damage to your shoulder by continuing shooting, you could lose all use of that shoulder/arm.

Remember all the other aspects to SASS...you can still be an active part. 

Write stages

Go help on a posse

Score/match set up 

I am much younger, but days change for me quickly...I have stopped , put my guns away and helped pull targets, pick brass, spot, ect.

Prayers for a comfortable decision made, that will keep you involved and happy.

What about trying a Henry 22 rifle? They are whisper light, no recoil and lots of clubs are allowing 22s now due to ammo shortages, so I would imagine they would let you do that. Also, maybe a shotgun Outlaw style? Or would your club allow you a 410 or 28 Gauge?

Archived