SASS Wire Forum

Follow Up On The Plane Crash That Killed Little Boy In Car

Cypress Sun

There are a lot of different ways to screw up, and it sounds like these guys tried most of them.

Maybe the investigation will uncover some mitigating factor....

Landing straight ahead in event of engine failure was always part of my pre takeoff briefing to myself (and passengers if present) just before pushing the throttle forward. 

It’s a natural temptation to turn around when things go wrong and takes real deliberation not to to succumb to it. As I recall, a plane like that Bonanza will lose around 900 feet of altitude trying to complete that turn with a dead engine. This guy only had 300 feet to play with. :(

I can't wait to see how they answer this question they had, "examine why the pilots didn’t scrub the flight". Guess they will ask at the morgue?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That was my thought.   "I've been a pilot for 50 years!  Nothing I can't handle. "

The old pilot and bold pilot adage comes to mind.:(

Over the years, I have seen a lot of really stupid and dangerous things done in General Aviation: mis-entering flight/engine log time; "repairs" done by unqualified people or owners and left uninspected, safety wires eft off;  C of A's skipped when flying from private fields or on float planes and the list goes on.

IMHO, some people just get a little too casual about air safety, after a few years and a few minor incidents, they get away with.

Fuel and spark are cheap and easy fixes when compared with the potential alternatives.

3 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Over the years, I have seen a lot of really stupid and dangerous things done in General Aviation: mis-entering flight/engine log time; "repairs" done by unqualified people or owners and left uninspected, safety wires eft off;  C of A's skipped when flying from private fields or on float planes and the list goes on.

IMHO, some people just get a little too casual about air safety, after a few years and a few minor incidents, they get away with.

Fuel and spark are cheap and easy fixes when compared with the potential alternatives.

C of A's, is that a Canadian thing? I don't recall that one.

Certificate of Air Worthiness.

In my limited experience, I noted aircraft flying out of uncontrolled, private fields or float planes that have suffered damage that should be repaired by licensed airframe or engine personnel, instead repaired by the owner with a bit of knowledge and skill.

After repair of the damage, it should be inspected and re-certified to ensure the craft is safe to fly.

I recall seeing one float equipped Super Cub, whose fuselage was damaged and "repaired" with new fabric applied, but you could see the fuselage and tail planes were out of true. 

Another, again on floats, that had not had the engine looked at for three or four years and a few hundred hours on it.

Yet another pilot, kept the "log" on the back of a cigarette package, then entered a reduced number of hours on the official log. 

North Perry airport (or Hollywood International as we used to call it in the tower at Miami) is totally surrounded by densely populated housing subdivisions, so depending on which direction he was going your only chance of not hitting a house is either Pines Boulevard (east or westward) or 441 (state rd 7)(north or southward).  In any case you are going to hit cars.   

These guys panicked and tried to make it back over a runway.  But with two pilots on board you'd think one of them would have insisted on going back to the hangar before takeoff.  

A sad ending which could have been prevented.

Not a pilot.  Never played one on TV.  My youtube video watching experience shows me that pilots always do a magneto check before starting out.  "Right, Left, Both", check for rpm change in each position.  

Are such checks not needed on modern aircraft?  Or, is this just a case of murder by negligence?

36 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

Not a pilot.  Never played one on TV.  My youtube video watching experience shows me that pilots always do a magneto check before starting out.  "Right, Left, Both", check for rpm change in each position.  

Are such checks not needed on modern aircraft?  Or, is this just a case of murder by negligence?

Those checks are needed.

23 hours ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Complacency kills.

Archived