SASS Wire Forum

SPAM and Other Delights

Subdeacon Joe

The last one looked the best and I had agree that slices would make more sense. Eating the whole blob would be a bit much  :unsure:

Hey, in the spirit of the other food threads...

Anybody that eats spam is just sick. It’s abnormal...even with mustard...blechhhh 

Sorry...couldn’t help myself...:D

Spam should be cooked; place in a pot of water with 3 unwashed stones from the road out front, cover with water +2", boil until stones are soft, drain and separate, discard ALL BUT the soft stones, enjoy.   -_-

Spam is the state meat of Hawaii.

Spam is so popular throughout Hawaii that it's been nicknamed the "Hawaiian steak" and is even found on the islands' McDonald's and Burger King menus. During the last week of April, the annual Spam Jam takes place in Waikiki. And before taking office, Hawaii's most prominent native son, Barack Obama, surprised reporters when he ordered spam musubi while on vacation in Oahu.

But Hawaii isn't alone. In the territory of Guam, each person consumes 16 cans of Spam a year on average. In the UK, Spam fritters are served battered and deep-fried. In Hong Kong, Spam is often eaten with instant noodles. And as a result of the Korean War, Koreans enjoy Spam kimbap, a rice and vegetable filled seaweed roll.

Uno LOVES Spam.  I told him he's not allowed to cook it on the stove until we have a vent hood installed in the kitchen to get the odors out of the house.  The hood arrived Saturday..................

Always been a fan of spam, especially spam, eggs and  home fries. Some of the flavors they've tried have been okay, some, not so much. Might give this recipe a try sometime.

Spam with sautéed peppers and onion!  Fry the Spam first to a light brown. Sauté bell pepper, onion, and diced potatoes if you’re of a mind to, in Worstershire, butter, and a dash of soy sauce until the onion starts to turn clear and if you added taters, they start to brown on the edges.

Throw the Spam back in and toss it until coated with the liquid in the skillet. Serve steaming hot with spicy mustard or horseradish on the side!!

7 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Spam with sautéed peppers and onion!  Fry the Spam first to a light brown. Sauté bell pepper, onion, and diced potatoes if you’re of a mind to, in Worstershire, butter, and a dash of soy sauce until the onion starts to turn clear and if you added taters, they start to brown on the edges.

Throw the Spam back in and toss it until coated with the liquid in the skillet. Serve steaming hot with spicy mustard or horseradish on the side!!

This actually sounds good!

I posted my Spam recipe in another post but here it goes again:

1 can of spam

1 jar of Velveeta cheese

Puree together in a grinder, spread on crackers of bread and eat.

You may add other condiments to the mix , such as jalapeno peppers salt etc., whatever your taste buds call for.

Remember Spam kept millions from starving in WWII.  It was manna from the USA!

Heard Spam was first canned in 1935.    Do the increased usage due to Covid,  They are planning to produce another batch early this summer.      But my wife makes a mixture of Spam, Velveeta, butter and tomato paste.   Grind it up, spread on bun or bread, then put under broiler till toasty.   Not bad.       GW

We we were supporting third shift testing several of us used to take turns cooking for the crew bring. We had a full kitchen so nothing was really outside our capabilities. One girl was from Hawaii and used to cook a lot of dishes with SPAM.  Sure was good.

The best two were SPAM Musubi and Spam fried as Blackwater described and served with fried rice.

They are running a commercial locally, now. Actually looks pretty good.

Chopped squares of Spam browned in a skillet with added vegetables, peas, carrots, maybe some onion for flavor.

A dash of Lea & Perrins worcestershire over white rice. Might work.

My wife likes fried Spam on toast with Catsup. 

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

They are running a commercial locally, now. Actually looks pretty good.

Chopped squares of Spam browned in a skillet with added vegetables, peas, carrots, maybe some onion for flavor.

A dash of Lea & Perrins worcestershire over white rice. Might work.

My wife likes fried Spam on toast with Catsup. 

What's "Catsup?"

You can get SPAM burrito's around here.The Navajo's really love them.

Largo      

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What's "Catsup?"

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Snooty version of "ketchup"  ;)

LL

The original New England spelling of it.  Well before Heinz changed it to "ketchup" when other brands of catsup came on the market.
Used to come in a wide variety of flavors, too.

https://d.lib.msu.edu/fa/16#page/126/mode/2up

458. Walnut Catsup.-—Take three half sieves\of walnut shells, put them into a tub, mix them up well with common salt, about a pound and a half. Let them stand six days, frequently beating and washing them; by this time the shells become soft and pulpy; then by banking them up on one side of the tub, raising the tub on the same side, the” liquor will run clear off to the other; then take that liquor out. The mashing and banking may be repeated as long as any liquor" runs. The quantity will be about three quarts. Simmer it in an iron pot as long as any scum rises; then add two ounces of allspice, two ounces of ginger,‘bruised, one ounce of long pepper, one ounce of cloves, with the above articles; let it boil slowly for half an hour; when bottled, take care that an equal quantity of spice goes into each bottle; let the bottles be quite filled up, cork them tight, and seal them over. Put them into a cool and dry place, for one year before they are used. . 459. Oyster Catsup.—-Take fine large fresh oysters, open them carefully, and wash them in their own liquor, to take any particle of shell that may remain, strain the liquor after. Pound the oysters in a mortar, add the liquor, and to every pint put a pint of sherry, boil it up and skim, then add two anchovies, pounded, an ounce of common salt, two drachms of pounded mace, and one of cayenne. Let it boil up, skim it, and rub it through a sieve. Bottle it when cold, and seal it. What remains in the sieve will do for oyster sauce. 460. Cockle and Muscle Catsup.—The same way as oyster catsup. 461. lVIushroom Catsup.-—The juice of mushrooms approaches the nature and flavour of gravy meat more than other vegetable juices. Dr. Kitchiner sets a high value, and not without reason, up0n good mushroom catsup, “ a couple of quarts of which,” he says, “ will save some score pounds of meat, besides a vast deal of time and trouble.” The best method of extracting the essence of mushrooms, is that which leaves behind the least quantity of water. In all essences, it is quality, not quantity, to which we ought to look. An excess of aqueous fluid in essences renders them less capable of keeping; while in flavouring sauces, &c. a small quantity is sufficient, so that by this means you do’not interfere with the thickness or consistency of the thing flavoured. Mushrooms, that is, field mushrooms, begin to come in about September. There are several varieties of these fungi, and they differ very much, both in their wholesomeness and flavour. The best and finest flavoured mushrooms are those which grow spontane- ously upon rich, dry, old pasture land. The following is the mode of making good mushroom catsup, or, as Dr. Kitchiner calls it, “ double catsup.” . Take mushrooms of the right sort, fresh gathered and full grown, but not maggoty or putrescent; put a layer of these at the bottom of a deep earthen pan, andsprinkle them with salt; then put another layer of mushrooms, sprinkle more salt on them, and so on alternately, mushroom. and salt. Let them remain two or three hours, by which
TN
Page 127

CLARIFYING. 127 base the salt will have penetrated the mushrooms, and have made , tuen. easy to break; then pound them in a mortar, or break them well with your hands; then let them remain in this state for two days, not more, mashing them well once or twice a day; then pour them into a stone jar, and to each quart add an ounce and a half of whole black pepper, and half an ounce of allspice; stop the jar very close, and set it in a saucepan or stew-pan of boiling water, and keep it boiling for two hours at least. Take out the jar, and pour the juice clear from the settlings, through a hair sieve into a clean stew-pan. Let it boil very gently for half an hour; but to make good or double catsup, it should boil gently till the mushroom juipe is reduced to half the quan- tity, or, in other words, till the more aqueous part is evaporated ; then skim it well, and pour it into a clean dry jar or jug; cover it close, and let it stand in a cool place till next day, then pour it off as gently as possible (so as not to disturb-the settlings at the bottom of the jug,) through a tamis, or thick flannel bag, till it is perfectly clear; add a table-spoonful of good unflavoured spirits (brandy is dear and not a whit better than common spirits of wine of equal strength) to each pint 0f catsup, and let it stand as before. A fresh sediment will be deposited, from which the catsup is to be poured ofl' gently, and hot- ~ tled in half pints, washed with spirit. Small bottles are best, as they are sooner used, and the catsu p, if uncorked often, is apt to spoil. The cork of each bottle ought to be sealed or dipped in bottle cement. Keep it in a dry cool place; it will soon spoil if kept damp. If any pellicle or skin should appear upon it when in the bottle, boil it up again with a few peppercorns. It is a question with us, whether it would not be‘best to dispense with the spice altogether, and give an addition of spirits. When a number of articles are added to the cat- sup, such as difl'erent spices, garlic, eschalot, anchovy, &c. &c., the flavour of the mushroom is overpowered, and it ceases to be, properly speaking, mushroom catsup. _ 462. Mushroom Catsup without Spice is made thus :—Sprinkle a little saltover your mushrooms. Three hours after, mash them; next day, strain off the liquor, and boil it till it is reduced to half. ' Tt'will not keep long, but an artificial mushroom bed will supply sufficien forgiis, the very best of mushroom catsup, all the year round. 63. Mushroom Powder may be made of the refuse of the mush- rooms, after they have been squeezed, by drying them well in a dutch oven, or otherwise, and then reducing them to powder. If the mush- rooms themselves are dried and pounded, the powder will be much stronger. Tincture or essence of mushrooms, we apprehend, might be made, by steeping dried mushrooms in spirits. 

https://d.lib.msu.edu/fa/15#page/190/mode/2up

193 CATSUPS AND FLAVORED VINEGARS. MADE MUSTARD. >X< 4 tablespoonfuls best English mustard. 2 teaspoonfuls salt. 2 “ white sugar. - 1 “ white pepper. 2 “ salad oil. Vinegar to mix to a smooth paste—celery or Tarragon vinegar if you have it. 1 small garlic, minced very small. Put the mustard in a bowl and wet with the oil, rub- bing it in with a silver or wooden spoon until it is absorbed. Wet with vinegar to a stiff paste; add salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic, and work all together thoroughly, wetting little by little with the vinegar until you can beat it as you do cake—batter. Beat five minutes very hard; put into wide— mouthed bottles—empty French mustard bottles, if you have them—pour a little oil on top, cork tightly, and set away in a cool place. It .will be mellow enough for use in a. couple of days. Having used this mustard for years in my own family, I can safely advise my friends to undertake the trifling labor of preparing it in consideration of the satisfaction to be dc rived from the condiment. I mix in a Wedgewood mortar, with pestle of the same; but a bowl is nearly as good It will keep for weeks. I‘IORSE-RADISH. Scrape or grind, cover with vinegar, and keep in wide. mouthed bottles. To eat with roast beef and cold meats. 9 

WALNUT CATSUP. Choose young walnuts tender enough to be pierced with a pin or needle. Prick them in several places, and lay in a I jar with a handful of salt to every twenty-five, and water enough to COVer them Break them with a billet of wood or wooden beetle, and let them lie in the pickle a fortnight, stirring twice a day. Drain off the liquor into a saucepan, and cover the shells with boiling vinegar to extract what juice remains in them. Crush to a pulp and strain through a cullender into the saucepan. Allow for every quart an ounce of black pepper and one of ginger, half an ounce of cloves and half an ounce of nutmeg, beaten fine. Put in a pinch of cayenne, a shallot minced fine for every two quarts, and a thinihleful of celery-seed tied in a bag for the same quantity. Boil all together for an hour, if there be a gal- lon of the mixture. Bottle when cold, putting an equal quantity of the spice in each flask. Butternuts make de- lightful catsup. MUSHROOM CA’I‘SUP. 2 quarts of mushrooms. i- lb. of salt. Lay in an earthenware pan, in alternate layers of mush- rooms and salt; let them lie six hours, then break into hits. Set in a cool place three days, stirring thoroughly every morning. Measure the juice when you have strained it, and to every quart allow half an ounce of auspice, the same quantity of ginger, half a teaspoonful of powdered mace, a teaspoonful of cayenne. Put into a. stone jar, cover closely, set in a saucepan of boiling water over the fire, and boil five hOurs hard. Take it off,,empty into a porcelaiirket— tle, and boil slowly half an hour longer. Let it stand all night in a cool place, until settled and clear. Pour ofl‘ 13-, ' irfir ,
TN
Page 193
CATBUPS AND FLAVORED VINEGARS. 195 carefully from the sediment, and bottle, filling the flasks to the mouth. Dip the corks in melted rosin, and tie up with bladders. ' The bottles should be very small, as it soon spoils when exposed to the air. IMITATION WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE. 3 teaspoonfuls cayenne pepper. 2 tablespoonfuls wahiut or tomato catsup (strained through muslin). 3 shallots minced fine. i 3 anchovies chopped into bits. 1 quart of vinegar. Half»teasl‘oonful powdered cloves. Mix and rub through a sieve. Put in a stone jar, sci in a pot of boiling water, and heat until the liquid is so hot you cannot bear [your finger in it. Strain, and let it stand in the jar, closely covered, two days, then bottle for use. OYSTER CATSUP. 1 quart oysters. 1 tablespoontul salt. 1 teaspoonful cayenne pepper, and same of mace. l teacupful cider vinegar. 1 “ sherry. Chop the oysters and boil in their own liquor With a 'teacupful vinegar, skimming the scum as it rises. Boil three minutes, strain through a hair-cloth ; return the liquor to the fire, add the Wine, pepper, salt, and mace. Boil fifteen minutes, and, when cold, bottle for use, sealing the corks. (I, ' 2’:
196 COMMON SENSE. TOMATO CATSUP. + l peck ripe tomatoes. 1 ounce salt. 1 “ mace. 1 tablespoonful black pepper. 1 teaspoonful cayenne. 1 tablespoonful cloves (powdered). 7 “ ground mustard. 1 “ celery seed (tied in a thin muslin bag). Cut a slit in the tomatoes, put into a bell-metal or porv celain kettle, and boil until the juice is all extracted and the pulp dissolved. Strain and press through a cullender, then through a hair sieve. Return to the fire, add the sea- soning, and boil at least five hours, stirring constantly for the last hour, and frequently throughout the time it is on the fire. Let it stand twelve hours in a stone jar on the cellar floor. When cold, add a pint of strong vinegar. Take out the bag of celery seed, and bottle, sealing the corks. Keep in a dark, cool place. Tomato and walnut are the most useful catsups we have for general purposes, and either is in itself a fine sauce for «roast meat, cold fowl, game, etc. LEZEON CATSUP. 12 large, fresh lemons. 4 tablespoonfuls white mustard-seed. 1 “ turmeric. 1 “ White pepper. 1 teaspoonful cloves. 1 “ mace. 1 saltspoonful cayenne.
TN
Page 195
'OATSUPS AND FLAVORED VINEGARS. 197 2 tablespoonfuls white sugar. 2 “ grated horse-radish. 1 shallot, minced fine. Juice of the lemons. 2 tablespoonfuls tablesalt. Grate the rind of the lemons; pound or grind the spices, and put all together, including the horse-radish. StreW the salt over all, add the lemon-juice, and let it stand three hours in a cool place. Boil in a porcelain ket- tle half an hour. Pour into a covered vessel—china 01 stone—and let it stand a fortnight, stirring well every day. Then strain, bottle, and seal. It is a fine seasoning for fish sauces, fish soups, antl game ragofits. “ EVER-READY ” CATSUP. >X< 2 quarts cider vinegar. 12 anchovies, washed, soaked, and pulled to pieces. 12 small onions, peeled and minced. 1 tablespoonful mace. 3 “ fine salt. ‘ 3 “ white sugar. 1 “ cloves. 3 z; Whole black pepper. 2 “ ground ginger. 1 “ ' cayenne. 1 quart mushrooms, minced, or 1 “ ripe tomatoes, sliced. Put into a preserving kettle and boil slowly four hours, or until the mixture is reduced to one-halfthe original quan. tity. Strain through a flannel bag. Do not bottle until next day. Fill the flasks to the top, and dip the corks in ~ beeswax and rosin.

I druther eat this.

2B73965A-9004-4532-A8F4-E30AE77ED6A9.jpeg

Best SPAM I had was in Hawaii, SPAM hash with potatoes, grilled onions, and green chili peppers served with sweet bread. They know how to cook it there.

My dad always joked that SPAM stood for 'Squirrels, Possums And Mice'. He hated meats with questionable origins.

12 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Dear Mr Subdeacon Joe, I am on a very strict diet and you are making it impossible for me to continue with my resolve!

..........................But the stuff looks good! :blink:

Sorry about that. May I ask what the restrictions are?  That 2nd one might possibly be able to be adapted to your diet.

14 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

Best SPAM I had was in Hawaii, SPAM hash with potatoes, grilled onions, and green chili peppers served with sweet bread. They know how to cook it there.

My dad always joked that SPAM stood for 'Squirrels, Possums And Mice'. He hated meats with questionable origins.

The original SPAM is made of pork shoulder and ham.

The knockoffs may have some questionable ingredients.

Spam ranks right up there with beets for me. Still, I could eat Spam if I had to eat it to stay alive. Beet's, I'd rather kick a fire ant mound and eat the pissed off ants.

When my father returned from WWII, he told my mother that if she ever served Spam, it would mean instant divorce!  They were married 67 years!  I have never eaten Spam.  I do get a lot of it on my computer by email! :rolleyes::P

SPAM is great when you make a pot of beans!

Archived