SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Wrangler parts replacements

Houston CAS

I thought I remember seeing here somewhere some of the parts that can easily go in Ruger Wranglers, but I can't find that thread. I bought a pair for my 3yo for future Cowboy Action Shooting use, but figured I'd enjoy them for fun sometimes at monthly matches since my club is going to add a .22LR category.

1. Is there a spring parts kit that can be installed similar to what's available for Ruger Vaqueros? 

2. Is there a lowered hammer available similar to the Super Blackhawk?

3. Are there readily available replacement grips? I'd like something besides the plastic black ones that came with it.

Wood single six, Blackhawk, and vaquero grips drop right in.   Spring kits for SS, BH, and Vaquero also drop right in.  Watch the hammer spring weight.  Most have good luck with 19#’ers, I used 17#er without light strikes on my wrangler and single six.   No one in the thread mentioned hammers.   

Woff stock number 17116, Revolver shooters pak reduced power, 30 oz trigger, 17 lb Hammer and bass pin latch

I have a pair that I got to practice with instead of using my 38 spl.  I just replaced the springs in one with pro shooters pack from Brownells, have some on order from Wolf but it is a 2 month wait for them and I am impatient.  The 17 lb hammer spring was 2 coils longer than stock so I trimmed to stock length.  I just did a side by side stock vs tuned timed test and the tuned is about .2 seconds faster for me and more accurate since it takes less force to pull the hammer and that doesn't pull the front sight off target.  I will be posting the test on YouTube at Lee Cowboy Action over the weekend. 

I have 150 rounds through the one with the tuned one and had no issues with light primer strikes using federal 40 grain.  Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, Major Bill said:

Woff stock number 17116, Revolver shooters pak reduced power, 30 oz trigger, 17 lb Hammer and bass pin latch

That's what I put in mine. So far so good. Just need fatter grips now!

On 4/6/2021 at 11:41 PM, Major Bill said:

We put these in Kid Flash’s set and I polished the hammer struts. Two matches later and no issues.

Next up On Target Sights and wood grips.

Anything for the Single Six will fit the Wranglers.

So saith the Rooster 

On 4/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Scrub Oak Willie 53737 said:

Altamont Grips are fatter.

Willie

Yep and fantastic grips and prices.

Houston, I put two Wranglers together also for grandkids, wife, and self. I just cut 1.5 coils off the factory hammer springs. I tried some light Vaquero springs too but the primers wouldn't go off consistency. For the trigger return spring I used my spare Vaquero springs (left over from various spring jobs) and bent the hooks slightly. The trigger will never be as light as the Vaqueros, but it's not bad. The load latch is another story. My grandson can open it easier than (guess the little fingers work better). I can bring one out sometime if you like. Later! Slimy 

Ordered a 2 pairs of the Altamont grips. Most said temporarily not available. so bought the ones they said "buy". Got an e-mail today that they need to make them! About 9 weeks ! :(

Archived