SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on a hot dog?

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I bought some Oscar Meyer beef hotdogs, some buns and a can of “Signature Select” (store brand) canned chili with no beans and made myself 3 hotdogs, put them in the buns then dumped the can of chili on top of them. My wife made me some cole slaw and Mmmmm-Mmmm was that good. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. Two big thumbs up! ;)

The scramble dog is Columbus, GA's contribution to the culinary world.

Bless their hearts.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I will admit that Moxie is an acquired taste.   But once you do, it's delicious.  But I still we say we've got the best pizza in the country here in New England.  Actually, the two best.  I prefer local Greek style pizza, but the local Italian stuff is pretty good as well.   Both have their partisans.

I had an Uncle by marriage, that was Italian. My Aunt loved to bowl, 5 nights a week. So we would go out to the local Italian Restaurants in East Detroit. Every one of the owners knew John, my Uncle. Most of these were small family run businesses, and the old man or woman  would come out of the kitchen when John walked in. They greeted each like long lost brothers/sister. Then they would talk Italian to each other. I never unstood a word, but the meaning was clear. Then they would take John into the kitchen to try a little of this and a little of that. Then we had a meal. Our plates were always loaded.  John was like a second father to me. I sure miss him. 

(HEY!  What happened to the options for font and font size?)

Hot Dogs & Beans

1 #10 Can Van Camp's Pork & Beans

1 lb. bacon, chopped

2 packages of hot dogs, cut into 1/4 inch rounds (or cut the hot dogs in half lenghtwise then chop into the 1/4 inch slices)
1 large onion, chopped.

A few teaspoons or tablespoons of minced garlic, to your taste.

About 1 TBS of Italian Seasoning

Ground black pepper to taste

Catsup to taste

Yellow mustard to taste

Cider Vinegar to taste

Brown Sugar to taste
A few dashes of Tabasco

Chop the bacon and, in a large pot over medium heat start browning it.   Once it starts to take some color, add the chopped hot dogs.  When the bacon is almost crisp and the hot dogs are nicely browned, add the chopped onion. No need to drain the grease unless there is a huge pool of it.

When the onion is almost translucent, add the garlic.  

Once the garlic starts to be fragrant, maybe about 2 minutes, add the can of beans.  Stir well.  Add the Italian Seasoning.  When everything is hot, but not quite simmering, add the catsup (maybe a half cup to start), mustard (maybe a quarter cup), brown sugar (quarter cup), and vinegar (maybe an eighth of a cup to start), and a few drops of Tabasco. 

Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom to make sure it doesn't scorch, reduce heat, cover, and let it cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep it from scorching.

Adjust your seasonings, let it mellow some more.  

This is GREAT cold the next day.

I absolutely deplore the taste and smell of mustard so yes ketchup is my thing on a hot dog or hamburger  along with pickle slices.

23 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Man, Joe, you sure do make the simple things complicated...but that sounds really good. :D

It sounds more complicated than it is. 

Chop and cook the bacon and hot dogs, add onion and garlic,  add the canned pork & beans,  add seasoning and condiments,  adjust seasonings to taste. 

But I've had to walk people who don't cook through making it several times,  so the overly detailed instructions are second nature. 

I prefer ketchup because it doesn't have the afterwards lingering taste in your mouth like mustard does.

Plus just the sound of it turns me off. (Must turd!) LOL

Archived