SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on a hot dog?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ketchup yes. I don't begrudge people making wrong choices though. Go to Costco, get a hot dog for $1.50 and put ketchup and onions on it. Not bad and very inexpensive. I did sample some hot dogs at a baseball game and the "salads" they put on weren't bad.

48 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Okay, we've covered the buns question, so here's another important thing to consider.

Ketchup or Catsup?

Either..... on my fries!!

Or with horseradish and pepper sauce on onion rings.

20 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Either..... on my fries!!

Or with horseradish and pepper sauce on onion rings.

Oooh...I like that onion ring idea. I am going to have to try that. Thanks Blackwater. :D

17 hours ago, Alpo said:

Tried them one time. One time.

A hot dog bun is about an inch and a half wide and an inch thick. If you slice it on the side, that gives you an open area that's an inch and a half deep. Plenty of room for the dog and toppings - thick toppings, like onions or relish or chili.

But if you slice it at the top there's only room for the dog. Now if you're doing runny stuff, like ketchup or mustard, that's fine. But if you have chunky stuff, there ain't room to put it.

So after that one ill-fated attempt, I went back to the side sliced.

Does anyone remember the u-shaped hot dog buns? I think they were pepperidge farm. Looking at them from the end, they look like a U. You just set your hot dog down in the little trough.

I guess America wasn't ready for that, because I haven't seen any in the last several years.

I have never seen them. But then, there several things I have never seen. 

20 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If you like ketchup on your hot dogs, put ketchup on your hot dogs.  If you don't, don't.   Same for mustard.  Same for ANY other topping.   

For the record, I don't put anything on my hotdogs.   

Now, much more important is how are your hot dog buns split?  The only proper way to split a hot dog bun is on the top.  Side opening buns are wrong.

This is an example of a top split hot dog bun, which is proper.

Example

This is a picture of a side split hot dog bun, which is wrong.

Example

Nothing more needs to be said.

Well, good luck finding one of these around here!

Example

12 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Someday civilization will make its way out west (of the Hudson).

You can keep your “civilization”!  Civilization is perhaps the least civil thing that there is!!  ^_^ :lol:

And a hotdog bun is simply a tool, a tasty tool sometimes, to keep you from burning your fingers on your dog!! The bigger the bun, the more stuff you can pile on your dog, but it’s still just a bun!

I like the poppy seed buns and the big hoagie style buns, but the dog is the star!!  A big 1/4lb all beef dog, grilled to a bit of a char or a Martinsville dog, or a true, down ‘n’ dirty red Coney Island dog!!  It doesn’t matter!! The dog is the star!!

Come to think of it, two dogs, split and fried well on a couple slices of bread, with American or Velveeta cheese, dill pickle, thin sliced onion and some mayo!!  THAT’S RIGHT! A fried weenie sandwich!!  Great way to eat a dog, or two in this case!!

Civilization!! BAH!!

2 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Come to think of it, two dogs, split and fried well on a couple slices of bread, with American or Velveeta cheese, dill pickle, thin sliced onion and some mayo!!  THAT’S RIGHT! A fried weenie sandwich!!  Great way to eat a dog, or two in this case!!

Dang, l haven't done that in a coons age!

Even better if you toss a couple of slices of fried bologna on it. 

21 hours ago, Alpo said:

Oh heck. I'll tell. It's all about the money.

If you have 10 hot dogs in the package, and eight buns in the package, you have to buy a total of 40 of each (four packages of hot dogs 5 packages of buns) for to come out even.

I got em beat.  I buy 1 package of each.  By the time the dogs get theirs it works out even. 

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm with you on that.  The buck a pack Bar-S eat just as well as the seven buck a pack dogs. Paying steak prices for hot dogs doesn't make much sense to me. But if that's what floats your boat,  go for it. 

The problem with the all beef dogs is they aint juicy.  If you're going to smother it with all the junk people have been talking about then it probably don't matter.  Might as well have a wadded up wet paper towel across the bottom of the bun, won't change the taste. 

I buy the all beef restaurant grade dogs because they have less fat and they are larger.

I never boil or nuke my dogs! They go in the broiler, on the grill, or in a skillet.  Those cheap, fatty, low quality dogs just don’t cook up as good.

Those red dogs that I get brought from Coney Island on occasion are a rare treat. Broiled or grilled, they really are a nasty, fun blast from the distant past.

The “Martinsville” dog is not for the faint of heart!! I don’t know of anywhere else you can get ‘em and I wouldn’t buy ‘em if I did, but if you ever go to the Martinsville track for a race, you GOTTA get one!  AT LEAST ONCE!!

There are infinite versions of the “Frankfurter”, (the real name for the hotdog) out there!!  Orta’ be something for everybody!!

38 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Frankfurter”, (the real name for the hotdog) 

My understanding is that the hot dog was invented almost simultaneously in the town of Wein (the way they pronounce Vienna in Austria) and Frankfort.

The people that live in Frankfort call it a weiner, while the people that live in Wein call it a frankfurter, because nobody wants to claim it.

8 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Someday civilization will make its way out west (of the Hudson).

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933):P

Oh, and extra weinies are for making scrambled dogs.

Open the bun, close it back up and cut it in quarters.  Chop the weinies up into 6 or 8 pieces. Grab a bowl, place the open bun in it, place the meat inside it.  Top with a handful of oyster cracker and cover the while thing with a LOT of chili.  Add toppings to taste (the original way is chopped onion,  yellow mustard and dill pickle slices). Eat it with a fork.

9 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Oh, and extra weinies are for making scrambled dogs.

We have chili dogs and now “dog chili”? :D

Good idea. ;)

I use just a smidge of catsup with a generous dollop of Mayo on a plain hotdog without a bun.
Skipping the bun, fires or chips lets me avoid insulin for dessert.

My bride buys Nathans dogs.. with her best East Coast snob voice, she says they are about as close to a decent dog as it gets in CA.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

We have chili dogs and now “dog chili”? :D

Good idea. ;)

A scramble dog is more of an open-faced chili dog.  There's enough on it that you really shouldn't try to pick one up.

When I make them at home, it's about a third to half a can of chili per dog.  You make it in a bowl so you can stir it up to eat it.  The traditional way serve one is either in a little oblong hotdog basket lined with wax paper or in one of the little boats like what ice cream shops used for banana splits back in the day.

Just now, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

A scramble dog is more of an open-faced chili dog.  There's enough on it that you really shouldn't try to pick one up.

When I make them at home, it's about a third to half a can of chili per dog.  You make it in a bowl so you can stir it up to eat it.  The traditional way serve one is either in a little oblong hotdog basket lined with wax paper or in one of the little boats like what ice cream shops used for banana splits back in the day.

Chili comes in a “can”? What will they think of next? :D

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I call it Hot Dog Sauce, but I suppose the can probably does officially say chili.  I shop by pictures so I wouldn't know for sure. 

Yup, that's what the can says.  I figure the word chili might be part of the company name.  Hormel Chili presents ... No Beans.  But you can tell from the picture it's hot dog sauce. 

Hormel No Beans Chili 15oz : Target

56 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I'm not putting in all of the effort to make a whole pot of chili just to put a cup's worth or so onto a hot dog.

But if that's the way you do it, you just go ahead with your bad self!:P

6 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

I'm not putting in all of the effort to make a whole pot of chili just to put a cup's worth or so onto a hot dog.

Nah, just busting your chops a bit. Honestly, I have used Stagg Beef Chili with no beans on hotdogs and it is pretty darn good. ;)

As a matter of fact, that is going to be dinner tonight! Command decision. Yum! 

Made a pot of beans yesterday with Italian Sausage, pepperoni, and capacola.  

I have a 5pack of Nathan’s restaurant dogs and some dark brown bread.

Decisions! Decisions!!

54 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Blackwater 53393

I LIKE MOST DOGS BETTER THAN I LIKE MOST PEOPLE

So it’s hot dogs you’re talking about now I get it :ph34r: :lol:

Actually, it’s both!!  Dogs that wag tails and mooch treats AND a good dog for dietary consumption!!

Most people?  <_<

14 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Well, I bought some Oscar Meyer beef hotdogs, some buns and a can of “Signature Select” (store brand) canned chili with no beans and made myself 3 hotdogs, put them in the buns then dumped the can of chili on top of them. My wife made me some cole slaw and Mmmmm-Mmmm was that good. :D

Thanks for the suggestion. Two big thumbs up! ;)

On 4/7/2021 at 8:01 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

The “Martinsville” dog is not for the faint of heart!! I don’t know of anywhere else you can get ‘em and I wouldn’t buy ‘em if I did, but if you ever go to the Martinsville track for a race, you GOTTA get one!  AT LEAST ONCE!!

Agreed

9 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Let's hope not! :rolleyes:

Oh don't worry.  I am not talking about our idiot politicians or moronic gun law and over the top taxes.

I am talking about our excellent food.  There is sadly, very little else worth sharing.  

Ever had a hot dog and a Moxie?

1 minute ago, John Ruth said:

The real question being: Is a hotdog a sandwich?

If the dog is placed on a bun or other bread!

A filling wrapped in bread and can be eaten one handed.  It seems to qualify!!

5 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Oh don't worry.  I am not talking about our idiot politicians or moronic gun law and over the top taxes.

I am talking about our excellent food.  There is sadly, very little else worth sharing.  

Ever had a hot dog and a Moxie?

I think I'll pass on the Moxie. That stuff taste what 40 wt. motor oil must taste like. :lol:

I will admit that those midwest hot dogs and pizza are better than these west coast pizzas, but not by much. Just my opine

39 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

I think I'll pass on the Moxie. That stuff taste what 40 wt. motor oil must taste like. :lol:

I will admit that those midwest hot dogs and pizza are better than these west coast pizzas, but not by much. Just my opine

I will admit that Moxie is an acquired taste.   But once you do, it's delicious.  But I still we say we've got the best pizza in the country here in New England.  Actually, the two best.  I prefer local Greek style pizza, but the local Italian stuff is pretty good as well.   Both have their partisans.

Archived