SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on a hot dog?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How come a package of hotdogs is usually 10 and the bag of buns is 8? I bet Alpo knows!;)

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

The problem here is that 99.99% of all store bought hoy dog buns are already cut from the side!  

Not around here.   It's actually harder to find side cuts.   Then again they do a lot of weird things in the wilderness, out west, of the Hudson.

2 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

The problem here is that 99.99% of all store bought hoy dog buns are already cut from the side!  

Not around here.   It's actually harder to find side cuts.   Then again they do a lot of weird things in the wilderness, out west, of the Hudson.

Yes, I am from New England.   We may have idiot politicians and stupid gun laws, but we have great food.

17 minutes ago, Anvil Al #59168 said:

Ketchup on my dog. Yes

It's my dog. Will have it the way I like. 

You'll take mustard and like it.  In between bites you will wear two masks.  It is called the new normal.

5 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Was both Ginger AND Mary Ann an option????  I want to change my answer!!!!!!  :D

Hmm.  Next time that question comes up I think I'm going to say "Ginger can join if Mary Ann don't mind"

38 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

More important than the toppings is the hot dog itself.  For me it’s gotta be natural casing preferably grilled.

image.jpeg.b4f311b56b5c4f0c622b379878bdac94.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb865674d9949bda31985c64fa26ca31.jpeg

No, what's most important is the meat.  Pork/beef/turkey (or chicken) is best.  Pork/Beef is OK, but the all beef dogs are downright criminal.  I'm glad our jewish friends have hot dogs they can eat, but stupid people out there think just because they cost more they must be 'the good ones'. 

And to answer the OP.  NO.

43 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ketsup.... maybe, sometimes.

But normally, I like mine with Mustard, Chili, and Slaw.   You can't beat a good Slaw Dog.

..........Widder

“Carolina Dog”. At least that’s what they called those in Charlotte at Tommy’s Dogs near the Government Center. I would get 3 dogs every time I went there. 
A Carolina Dog. A dog with ketchup and onions and a dog with kraut and mustard or a dog with mayonnaise, dill pickle and American cheese.

Dang, this thread is making me hungry...

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

How come a package of hotdogs is usually 10 and the bag of buns is 8? I bet Alpo knows!;)

Of course I know. But I ain't going to tell you.

Oh heck. I'll tell. It's all about the money.

If you have 10 hot dogs in the package, and eight buns in the package, you have to buy a total of 40 of each (four packages of hot dogs 5 packages of buns) for to come out even.

If you have eight dogs in the package and eight buns in the package, you only need to buy one of each.

It's a plot by Big Weiner to make you spend more money. (If they've got Big Oil, and Big Tobacco, and Big Pharm, they should be able to have Big Weiner. Right?)

4 minutes ago, Alpo said:

It's a plot by Big Weiner to make you spend more money.

Oh my Gawd, Alpo :lol: Thanks for that! :lol:

Hilarious! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Hmm.  Next time that question comes up I think I'm going to say "Ginger can join if Mary Ann don't mind"

No, what's most important is the meat.  Pork/beef/turkey (or chicken) is best.  Pork/Beef is OK, but the all beef dogs are downright criminal.  I'm glad our jewish friends have hot dogs they can eat, but stupid people out there think just because they cost more they must be 'the good ones'. 

And to answer the OP.  NO.

I'm with you on that.  The buck a pack Bar-S eat just as well as the seven buck a pack dogs. Paying steak prices for hot dogs doesn't make much sense to me. But if that's what floats your boat,  go for it. 

Re: Chicago Garden Dogs. 

"Pile on the toppings in this order: yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. The tomatoes should be nestled between the hot dog and the top of the bun. Place the pickle between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun"

By the time you load all that on you don't need the dog.  Might not even notice if it was missing. 

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'm with you on that.  The buck a pack Bar-S eat just as well as the seven buck a pack dogs. Paying steak prices for hot dogs doesn't make much sense to me. But if that's what floats your boat,  go for it. 

I like Farmer John’s hotdogs, especially the Beef Franks. I didn’t really care for Nathan’s until I had them on a charcoal grill. Made all the difference. Oscar Meyer all beef bun length dogs are good too. 

5 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Re: Chicago Garden Dogs. 

"Pile on the toppings in this order: yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. The tomatoes should be nestled between the hot dog and the top of the bun. Place the pickle between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun"

By the time you load all that on you don't need the dog.  Might not even notice if it was missing. 

The first time I had one of those half of it ended up on the tunic of my uniform. I remember asking the guy at the hotdog stand if Chicagoans actually liked hotdogs since they have to put all that crap on ‘em. Man, is it a b**** to get mustard out of gabardine in a public restroom.  :angry:

Ketchup on a hot dog is like chili with beans... it’s fine for city folk who don’t know better.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

It's a plot by Big Weiner 

Those six words may keep me awake tonight.

I've never understood ketchup on a hotdog, and cringe a little when my daughter orders one... Or worse, I order it for her. But I don't judge. Much.

As for me, mustard, and relish at a minimum. Preferably adding a good tasting chili (not the Cincinnati style, even if I am from Ohio), a bit of onion, and maybe a little shredded cheddar cheese. I've had kraut on a hotdog, and if offered one again, I would take it. 

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

More important than the toppings is the hot dog itself.  For me it’s gotta be natural casing preferably grilled.

image.jpeg.b4f311b56b5c4f0c622b379878bdac94.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bb865674d9949bda31985c64fa26ca31.jpeg

Agreed

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

WTH do you people care how someone eats a goldanged hotdog! Jees! Buncha uptight codgers....

:P

Don’t care. Just have preferences.

Ford-Chevy

13 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Plain hot dog-mustard and sweet pickle relish 

or 

sauerkraut with mustard

or

chili with mustard

Never seen top cut buns, but I'm interested.  No hotdogs on wonder bread (or any other sliced bread)

I personally like Chicago style hot dogs with many sport peppers.  I you want top sliced buns, go to Friendly's they serve em that way.  I can eat them any which-a-way they come  - love em with a BIG bowl of baked beans.

STL Suomi

12 hours ago, Alpo said:

Oh heck. I'll tell. It's all about the money.

If you have 10 hot dogs in the package, and eight buns in the package, you have to buy a total of 40 of each (four packages of hot dogs 5 packages of buns) for to come out even.

If you have eight dogs in the package and eight buns in the package, you only need to buy one of each.

It's a plot by Big Weiner to make you spend more money. (If they've got Big Oil, and Big Tobacco, and Big Pharm, they should be able to have Big Weiner. Right?)

I knew you knew :D

14 hours ago, Alpo said:

Tried them one time. One time.

A hot dog bun is about an inch and a half wide and an inch thick. If you slice it on the side, that gives you an open area that's an inch and a half deep. Plenty of room for the dog and toppings - thick toppings, like onions or relish or chili.

But if you slice it at the top there's only room for the dog. Now if you're doing runny stuff, like ketchup or mustard, that's fine. But if you have chunky stuff, there ain't room to put it.

So after that one ill-fated attempt, I went back to the side sliced.

Does anyone remember the u-shaped hot dog buns? I think they were pepperidge farm. Looking at them from the end, they look like a U. You just set your hot dog down in the little trough.

I guess America wasn't ready for that, because I haven't seen any in the last several years.

Actually, a proper top-split bun is baked taller than a side split roll, and so comfortably accommodates a dog (or even a kielbasa or sausage) with plenty of room left for condiments.  Its flat bottom allows it to stand upright without spilling the goodies.

For the history of the top split bun, see below.

LL

https://newengland.com/today/food/new-england-made/new-england-style-hot-dog-rolls/

15 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Throw enough chili on it and you'll never notice if it's on there or not.

Personally, I ain't fond of ketchup, so I don't go out of my way to put it on anything.   Hotdogs get mayo and mustard.

Mayo ? You must be part Canadian they seem to find a way to put Mayo on everything 

14 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

In MI Kogels is very popular. My family members that have moved to  AZ always bring back a case when they have come to visit. I also like Nathan’s . Never tried boars head , betting they are pretty good. I’ve never had anything from them I considered bad 

Archived