SASS Wire Forum

Ketchup on a hot dog?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't.  Pretty simple.  Heck, if you like peanut butter on your hot dog, go for it and more power to you.

I like chili-cheese dogs with sauerkraut.  Or just mustard. Or catsup and mustard.  Or whole grain mustard and 'kraut.  Don't care for raw onions (except maybe a few on a chili dog).  Nor do I care for the Chicago-style loaded dog.  

If you want catsup on your steak, well, how is that really all that much different than BBQ sauce?

What others like to eat isn't any of my business and (usually) won't take away my enjoyment of a meal.

YES!! AND A LITTLE MUSTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't.  Pretty simple.  Heck, if you like peanut butter on your hot dog, go for it and more power to you.

I like chili-cheese dogs with sauerkraut.  Or just mustard. Or catsup and mustard.  Or whole grain mustard and 'kraut.  Don't care for raw onions (except maybe a few on a chili dog).  Nor do I care for the Chicago-style loaded dog.  

If you want catsup on your steak, well, how is that really all that much different than BBQ sauce?

What others like to eat isn't any of my business and (usually) won't take away my enjoyment of a meal.

So you would be Ginger and MaryAnne.  You're no fun.

Green chile and cheese for me though spicy brown mustard will do if green chile is unavailable.  I love ketchup on grilled or fried potato products.  I don't look down on those who like ketchup on a dawg.  It's just a personal preference.

Just now, Sixgun Sheridan said:

And that is where Dirty Harry and I would disagree. I would tell him “A man’s got to know his limitations!” :P

The answer is two hot dogs, one with ketchup and one with mustard.;)

If you like ketchup on your hot dogs, put ketchup on your hot dogs.  If you don't, don't.   Same for mustard.  Same for ANY other topping.   

For the record, I don't put anything on my hotdogs.   

Now, much more important is how are your hot dog buns split?  The only proper way to split a hot dog bun is on the top.  Side opening buns are wrong.

This is an example of a top split hot dog bun, which is proper.

Example

This is a picture of a side split hot dog bun, which is wrong.

Example

Nothing more needs to be said.

35 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

If you like ketchup on your hot dogs, put ketchup on your hot dogs.  If you don't, don't.   Same for mustard.  Same for ANY other topping.   

Now, much more important is how are your hot dog buns split?  The only proper way to split a hot dog bun is on the top.  Side opening buns are wrong.

Example

Example

Universal hot dog/hamburger bun.

124630786-one-slice-of-bread-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg

Ketchup on a hotdog? I'd be a Cubs fan first!

Howdy,

A Chicago style hot dog is a work of beauty.

Done right its just wonderful.

And it is so easy to screw up I cant believe how many people ruin the idea.

And NO ketchup on a Chicago Style hot dog. Two or three half slices of tomato.

Much better that ketchup.

But for real treat Bratwurst from the Road america pits in Wisconsin.

With lemonade until racing is done....

To each his own....

Best

CR

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Example

Example

The problem here is that 99.99% of all store bought hoy dog buns are already cut from the side!  You can't glue them back and if you do no matter how much mustard, ketchup, mayo, chopped onions, etc. you put on it it'll still taste like crazy glue!  

Ketchup on a hot dog??

BLASPHEMY!!!

Ahh! HELL!!  Eat what ya want and don’t worry about it!!!

Just don’t serve it to me that way...

https://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/chicago_photo/2014/03/img4992-1394734359.JPG/extralarge.jpg

I refuse to be shamed that I put ketchup on my hotdog.  You sheeple that think you can tell me I shouldn't put ketchup on my hotdog need to know that I'm a freedom loving American :FlagAm: who can decide for myself and I'm brave enough to I put whatever I want on my hotdog!  You liberals that want to ban ketchup on my hotdog .... next thing you'll want to do is pass "Common Sense Ketchup Laws."

There!  I guess I told you!!  By golly!!!  :FlagAm:

Is It So Wrong To Put Ketchup On Your Hot Dog: Some Think Yes | Stuff We Love | TLC.com

;):P

56 minutes ago, LW McQuade said:

No ketchup

Just cheese, bacon, sweet relish and onions

bacon cheese dog.jpg

The cheese and bacon I'll agree with but whatever that green thing at the front part of the hotdog has an eye.....no thanks.:o

For me, no ketchup....just chili with a side of chili.

Plain hot dog-mustard and sweet pickle relish 

or 

sauerkraut with mustard

or

chili with mustard

Never seen top cut buns, but I'm interested.  No hotdogs on wonder bread (or any other sliced bread)

Actually, I like lots of different things on hotdogs. About the only thing that some folks like on dogs that I don’t is Sweet Relish. Yuck!

24 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The cheese and bacon I'll agree with but whatever that green thing at the front part of the hotdog has an eye.....no thanks.:o

For me, no ketchup....just chili with a side of chili.

Couldn't be any worse then what's inside the hotdog :ph34r:

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Example

Do they taste different? Inquiring minds want to know? 

What if you put mustard on one and ketchup on another? 

Does that make the dog taste different? 

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I agree generally; however, even after 45 of marriage, I cannot tolerate Mrs. LL's proclivity to smothering her scrambled eggs with catsup.....ugh!

LL

1 hour ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Never seen top cut buns, but I'm interested. 

Tried them one time. One time.

A hot dog bun is about an inch and a half wide and an inch thick. If you slice it on the side, that gives you an open area that's an inch and a half deep. Plenty of room for the dog and toppings - thick toppings, like onions or relish or chili.

But if you slice it at the top there's only room for the dog. Now if you're doing runny stuff, like ketchup or mustard, that's fine. But if you have chunky stuff, there ain't room to put it.

So after that one ill-fated attempt, I went back to the side sliced.

Does anyone remember the u-shaped hot dog buns? I think they were pepperidge farm. Looking at them from the end, they look like a U. You just set your hot dog down in the little trough.

I guess America wasn't ready for that, because I haven't seen any in the last several years.

Archived