SASS Wire Forum

Thumb vs birdshead grip

Got a problem, hope i'm in the right Forum. My favorite guns are a pair of GW IIs, birdshead grips, 38s, 4 3/4". I've shot them for years without an issue. I just bought a new backup gun, a Cimarron Thunderer.  3 1/2", dual cylinder, 45 acp and 45 Colt. 45 Colt will be back up for my main match guns and woods guns. 

Here's my problem, I shot it yesterday, about a dozen 45 acps. Cut the web of my hand at the base of the thumb.  I've got a bleeding disorder and I really bleed. I think the metal at the top is just enough over the wood that it's cutting me. Love the gun, don't want to get rid of it. I'm sure the Colt is going to recoil more. 

Choices as I see it. new grips fitted. shooting glove, or vet wrap around my thumb. I will throw this in a crossdraw holster around my property.  Black bear, yotes, loose dogs.  Any ideas? Anyone run into this before? Again, the gun is fun too shoot and I've got a lot of 45 acp ammo for my 1911. 

I'd check into different grips and maybe some downloaded (not too much) ammo.

I shot a buddy's Ruger .38 once that about killed me and I shoot .45 Colt regularly.

Has a LOT to do with grip shape/fit.

How about a file & Dremel polish. Round off the offending area.

Archived