SASS Wire Forum

Eagle Scouts

Subdeacon Joe

Sorry, but I am not, Boys belong in Boy Scouts and Girls belong in Girl Scouts. Besides may not be much left after the Boy Scouts sexual Abuse case is over.

The left ruins everything they get their hands on! This is ridiculous!

"Catarina Sharp, 19"????

Is that another rule change? When I was in Scouts, Boy Scouts were from 11 to 18. There's no such thing as a 19 year old Boy Scout.

Aside from the whole "girls ain't supposed to be in Boy Scouts" thing.

There was a girl in my troop in the early 80's.  She was the scout master's daughter.  She was always there at meetings and outings.  She could do everything we could do, and was better at it than some of the guys in my troop.  She was a year older than her brother (the Senior Patrol Leader).  Didn't affect any of us.  In fact, she taught some of the guys to be a bit more respectful toward women.  More than once I saw her black an eye or bloody a nose of somebody who said something disrespectful to her. 

@Alpo 

The scoutmaster conference must be before the 18th birthday.  The Eagle Board of Review can happen up to three months later without paperwork.  Over a three month delay requires approval.

There are special cases where long term extensions can be made.  That used to be mostly for mental or physical handicap.  Maybe the girls were granted extensions due to the proximity of the join date and 18th birthday.

I was an Air Scout Ace and a Sea Scout. I became a Sea Scout officer (leader)  and have been one for sixty years. We had girls unlike the rest of the BSA. Sea Scouts could earn the Quartermaster rank which got you E-3 in the military while Eagle gets you E-2.

Girls were very competitive. remained feminine. I used to walk around during breaks and heard thje girls sitting togrther discussing boys while the boys discussed cool cars.

Many of my girls are now USMC, USN and USMC officers and Fortune 500  business officers, Merchant Marine Captains, astophysicists, physicians, etc.

All of my Sea Scouts became pistol shots and Cowboy Action shooters.

Decades ago, I was BSA liaison to the GSUSA.   They were hopelessly disfunctiona;l. They killed all their programs for older girls including the Mariner Scouts. Girls joined Sea Scouts and did well.  I am glad the BSA finally let girls enjoy the rest of the programs that the girls were cheated by the GSUSA.

B y the way, the BSA has the girls separately except for Sea Scouts.

Girls today like my granddaughters, Lovely Lizzy 76796 and Tsarina, 105418 don't want to make lace doileys in the chrch basement, they want to climb mountains.

Having two sons and two daughters who participated in their respective scout programs, I can say without reservation that both the BSA and the girls who join them receive mutual benefits.  Attention must be paid to avoid the usual shenanigans that accompany a group of adolescent youth, but that is true in any organization, including the original mono-gender BSA.

And congrats to the young women who earned their Eagle Scout awards.

Apart from the gradual destruction of the Boy Scouts, in my view one big issue has always been the general failure of the Girl Scouts over the decades to replicate, for young girls, the outdoor and related experiences of the Boy Scouts.

I have two sons and three daughters, all long grown and, indeed, middle aged. The boys had a strong camping troop. My Scout troop in the 1960s did 50-mile hikes in the Cascades and Olympics every Summer.

The girls had a summer camp and cookie sales. The GSUSA should have gone to strong programs equivalent to those of the BSA many decades ago.

6 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Maybe the girls were granted extensions due to the proximity of the join date and 18th birthday.

What Sassnetguy50 said is correct.  Also, since it takes an absolute minimum of 19 - 20 months to earn the Eagle Scout rank, a special one-time extension was made available to allow girls who were at least 16 on Feb 01, 2019 and joined by December 31, 52//2019, a more realistic opportunity to earn the rank.  Even then, it's still quite a challenge.  (And, in the interest of "fairness," boys would also qualify for the extension). 

Keep in mind, this is a path that typically takes four to six years.

Many kudos to Mud Marine!  As impressive as earning the Eagle rank may be, achieving Quartermaster is quite remarkable.  Those kids have to know and demonstrate an incredible level of knowledge and skill.  Although it's extremely rare, some have actually earned both.  

Now, a few random thoughts:

• Girls have been active participants in Scouting's Venturing program since 1967.

• Although BSA did not formally allow women Scoutmasters until 1988, many had actually served in that position for decades.  The Boy Scouts of America was officially founded in 1910.  However, using Robert Baden-Powell's Scouting Handbook and with the backing of local churches and the YMCA, Ms Josephine Timberlake of Staunton, Virginia, started a troop with 15 boys in 1908.

• The girls and boys are in discrete troops - they may share activities, but are not in the same units (as noted by Mud Marine above).  Girls cannot join a boy's troop if they wanted to.

• A prediction of many leaders when the announcement was made about allowing girls was that they would excel, and in fact "show up" the boys.  This did indeed happen; at our Council's first "Co-ed" Camporee the first girl's troop literally won every award.  The bar has been raised, men!  

• There are something like around 170 countries or territories on this planet with Scouting programs.  Of these, only a dozen or so do not have both boys and girls.  These would be countries like Swaziland, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Pakistan, Yemen... and, until recently, the USA. 

I once met a gentleman who was the BSA advisor to the Afghanistan Scouting Association...  even they have girls in their program.

Congratulations to the Sonoma County Eagles.  ;)

Archived