SASS Wire Forum

Devil Anse hat maker?

Jakeleg

On my quest for clothing I was wondering if anyone on here makes hats you can recommend,I haven’t made up my mind yet but I’m thinking I may want Devil Anse hat that Kevin wore in Hatfield and mcCoys,thank you

Several - what's your budget? 

D Bar J hatters out of Las Vegas is my go to for most hats. 

I have also bought a few from Buckaroo hatters out of TN.

I don’t know I’d like to keep it reasonable but don’t really want a cheap hat,I know little about them as I’m used to wearing seed corn or coop ball caps here in Midwest thanks I will check them out

Well, here's one . I have heard of the Knudsen Hat Factory, but have no direct knowledge of them. Prices start at $309.99 and go up depending on the quality of the hat you choose. 

https://www.knudsenhats.com/devil-anse

Local to me is the Resistol Hat Factory, where several brands of hats are made including Resistol, Stetson, Dobbs and others. They have an Outlet store where seconds are sold for about 1/3 to 1/2 the price. You'd be hard pressed to find the imperfections. Buy one and have it shaped locally by a Western Wear store. Pricing starts around $100, again going up depending on the quality of the hat.

https://resistol.com/

Jakeleg, D Bar J is planning to be at the Southern Missouri Rangers' May Mayhem shoot the weekend before Memorial Day.

For a dress hat worn to banquets and such, the custom makers listed above are great choices.  For a hat to sweat in and get dirty with brass tracks, look at flea markets and secondhand store stores for a broad brimmed fedora or cowboy hat and shape it yourself.  Get it wet, bend it into shape and wear it until dry.  Screen shot from IMDB:

0A17E570-E760-4CA0-9BFF-B7AED970B5D8.jpeg.aa7a12e6a7a17544eefb1de2a4a1936e.jpeg

2 hours ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Well, here's one . I have heard of the Knudsen Hat Factory, but have no direct knowledge of them. Prices start at $309.99 and go up depending on the quality of the hat you choose. 

https://www.knudsenhats.com/devil-anse

+1  Knudsen folks are great!  Visited them in person when I was on the left coast 'bout 20 years ago.

Being from West Virginia and personally knowing some of the clans descendants both on the Hatfield and McCoy side, I wanted to make one of those hats while still high school.  I borrowed one of my dad's good Sunday-go-to-Meeting hats from his closet, filled it with boiling water, stretched the center over a baseball bat and walla, the moonshiners hat.  These were worn with bib overalls, no shirt and barefoot to the Sadie Hawkins Dances.

On 4/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, Ozark Shark said:

Jakeleg, D Bar J is planning to be at the Southern Missouri Rangers' May Mayhem shoot the weekend before Memorial Day.

And in Leonard, Tx First weekend in June for Texas TenHorns' annual shoot, The Great Spaghetti Western.     https://www.texas10horns.org/

5 hours ago, Frontier Lone Rider said:

Being from West Virginia and personally knowing some of the clans descendants both on the Hatfield and McCoy side, I wanted to make one of those hats while still high school.  I borrowed one of my dad's good Sunday-go-to-Meeting hats from his closet, filled it with boiling water, stretched the center over a baseball bat and walla, the moonshiners hat.  These were worn with bib overalls, no shirt and barefoot to the Sadie Hawkins Dances.

Your Dad must have been SO pleased.......

LL

Archived