SASS Wire Forum

Aussie powder drying up.

Jackaroo, # 29989

20 hours ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

In the absence of the Alliant powders, have you tried/is it available to you in Australia, the Shooters World Clean Shot. I am using it in all my SASS calibers and 12 ga.

3 gr in.38/.357 cowboy loads behind a 125 rnfp, 4.4 gr behind a 200 in .45c, .44sp or .45acp and 14.4 in 12ga with 7/8 oz of #7 1/2.

It may be an alternative.

Imis

I used to use Unique for 45 LC and 45 Schofield...I recently changed to Shooters World Clean Shot.  As the name says, it's cleaner, and was actually a few dollars less expensive per pound.  I use slightly less powder in my loads than Imis does.

9 hours ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

My daughter found me a great deal on Win Lg Pistol primers; $31.90/1000! Great... oh, they're in Queensland! Maybe you can get em. Haha

That would be $24.27 in USD and $1000 in shipping:P

1 hour ago, Sacramento Johnson #6873 said:

Hi Jackaroo,

I was on ADIs web site and I see they've shut down some types of powder production.  Please let us know if they eventually decide to stop Trail Boss altogether; thank you!

Will do.

I don't think TB will stop being produced. I think a lot of it is to do with TB being popular more so than their other pistol powders that the demand has reduced.

Many have changed to TB, anyway that's my take on it. TB is in short supply & dealers are saying  we won';t see it till Dec.

I will stock up on Red Dot in the mean time if I can.

On 4/5/2021 at 10:02 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Buy all the Unique you can find.  Very versatile powder, rifle, handgun, shotgun.

This. This again. And again. 

On 4/5/2021 at 9:43 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Powder is extremely hard to find at present here, with our local ADI ceasing operations of their main pistol powders.

Word is we wont see Trail Boss till end of year, it may all be going overseas, but we do have some imported powders available.

Unique, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Green Dot but most of us are unfamilar with those.

So would appreciate any loads my cowboy pards are using over there.

I'm using 38 special with a 125 proj. now with 2.9 gns TB. Have done for 20 years or so and find it perfect, so need to find an equivalent load.

Also 44 special with a 200 proj. for shotgun I was using Promo when in Oklahoma.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I load everything I shoot with Unique powder when I'm not shooting BP.

Unique is the Smokeless BP Powder that can do just about anything.  

So saith the Rooster 

On 4/7/2021 at 10:12 PM, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

My daughter found me a great deal on Win Lg Pistol primers; $31.90/1000! Great... oh, they're in Queensland! Maybe you can get em. Haha

Yep.  me and a buddy jumped on that.  With shipping to Canberra it was still the cheapest Ive seen LP primers for in a long time.  I just wish they had the same deal for Small Pistol!   (Puleeeeze!!!:D)   As to Powder..many of the powders mentioned in this thread are not available here either....everyone I know has bought...what they can find.    I myself have an eclectic variety of powders now...from 231 to Vectan A1... so there will be some experimenting going on.    (I shoot 90% IPSC now so some of the powders not-so-hot for CAS are just fine for that)     Interesting times ahead.   Anyone used Hodgdons CFE Pistol? 

Yep found some Unique which I will use and there is some Red Dot around which I'l try an d grab

This is from the ADI site.

Propellant Outlook & The APS Situation

By admin|March 26th, 2021|ADI Powders News|0 Comments

It has been quite some time since we offered any sort of update, contributed to by the mere fact that 2020 was a year like no other; bushfires, a pandemic, stock market crashes and rallies, and ultimately lockdowns for large swathes of the Australian population at various periods of time.

We at Australian Munitions have faced these challenges head on, while additionally having to deal with keeping COVID out of the facilities and managing cross border staff movements due to border closures between New South Wales and Victoria.

We would like to assure you, the factory continues to run at maximum capacity, 24 hours a day, and we’re supplying as much propellant to the market as possible.
However, we are abundantly aware that our beloved ADI World Class Powders have, at different times of the year, been nigh impossible to obtain across the country.

We plan to release some additional articles in the coming weeks, that address domestic propellant demand, the outlook for each region of Australia as well as the individual rifle propellants, but for now we need to address the elephant in the room – the APS range of propellants.

APS Propellants

As many would be only too aware, we’ve continued to face challenges with regards to our pistol and shotgun propellants. What some of you may not realise is that propellant manufacture can be and is affected by environmental conditions, with the propellant grains effectively absorbing moisture that needs to be expelled to achieve the correct burn rate.

What this means is that when there is high humidity, or it is wetter and colder, it is not possible to make these propellants. This is the exact situation we found ourselves in when we were working towards the replacement for AP70N last year where we were unable to finish the project in the timeline we had hoped.

Due to the La Niña complex weather pattern we’ve been experiencing over the past few months, we’ve seen lower than average temperatures, increased precipitation and of course the humidity that accompanies it. This weather pattern has in its own right effected the volume of APS propellant we’ve been able to successfully manufacture.

Additionally, the infrastructure at the modernised Mulwala propellant facility utilises a water-based transport system to safely and efficiently move the propellant grains between different stages of the manufacturing process. This system introduces another variable that adds to the challenge of delivering our APS propellant range.

Having spent 1,000’s of man hours over the past 4+ years trying to deliver these pistol and shotgun propellants, which have been designed specifically for Australian shooters (we don’t export these at all), we’ve now had to make the difficult decision to pause the development project for APS650 and cease attempting production of the existing APS350, APS450 and APS950 products for the foreseeable future.

We understand that this will be an unpopular decision, and we’re very much aware of the ramifications of this decision to dealers/retailers, shooters etc., but unfortunately the reality is that we simply cannot make these products with any surety as things stand today.

Frequently Asked Question

I’ve heard AP70N is made in Canada and supplied to the US market, why don’t you just buy AP70N from there and bring it back to Australia?

We’ve looked at this a number of times over the past few years, but unfortunately there is no solution here either. Ignoring the fact that if we placed an order today it would be 2023 before it shipped from Canada, there is still no cost-effective way to get the propellant to Australia, packed and shipped out to local retailers.

In other words, the landed cost of the propellant would be so high that you’d opt for factory ammunition instead to actually save yourself money over reloading. There is no big surprise here, as Australian distributors have already experienced this exact situation with other brands, such as Vihtavuori and more recently Winchester and Hodgdon.

In our next article, we will talk about domestic propellant demand and the current challenges we’re facing.

I have been able to pick up enough TB and some other powders and primers as well as percussion caps to keep me going.

I suspect the ADI issues will resolve themselves this year and I am looking fwd to trying some loads with the AP70N which seems to be very similar to Unique.

I am always looking for loads to work with my 45/70.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, Major Crimes said:

I have been able to pick up enough TB and some other powders and primers as well as percussion caps to keep me going.

I suspect the ADI issues will resolve themselves this year and I am looking fwd to trying some loads with the AP70N which seems to be very similar to Unique.

I am always looking for loads to work with my 45/70.

Umm...you know they stopped making the AP series completely?  The APS series was meant to be the new range...

"Due to the La Niña complex weather pattern we’ve been experiencing over the past few months, we’ve seen lower than average temperatures, increased precipitation and of course the humidity that accompanies it. This weather pattern has in its own right effected the volume of APS propellant we’ve been able to successfully manufacture."

Oh, sheez.......

It's climate change again......

LL

I understand the Hodgdon 4895 is actually ADI AR2206H.
If powder is drying up at ADI, I'm not surprised that I cannot find H4895 anywhere here in the states.

12 hours ago, Constable Nelson #11784 said:

Umm...you know they stopped making the AP series completely?  The APS series was meant to be the new range...

I do now:(

Hopefully one of the APS will be similar?

On 4/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, Snake-eye, SASS#45097 said:

38 spl.  -105 or 125 gr bullet  3 gr red dot works well

44 spl 200 gr bullet 4 gr red dot

both mild loads

Been using these loads for years. I got my 44 specials packed for a shoot tomorrow using the 4.0 grain load of red dot under a 180 grain LRNFP Bullet. Use your promo load with red dot for shotgun. They load the same when loaded by weight not by volume.   I use a Mec #26 bushing for 14.5 grains of red dot and 1 ounce of #8 shot and a Claybuster pink or gray wad. Love red dot.

On 4/24/2021 at 8:11 AM, bgavin said:

IMR Red is also a promising powder, but seems to get very little love, as it is still "new" on the market in 2016.

Not new any longer.  In fact, Red and the other IMR color dot-clones (Green, Blue, Target)  have officially been announced as "production ceased"   I agree Red was a great powder, and perhaps even a better performer than Red Dot.  But, IMR ended production of those powders back in February (or so), and they join some other great IMR powders on the trash heap of the powder industry, like 4756, 4759, 7526, PB, 800-X, etc.

good luck, GJ

On 4/5/2021 at 8:43 PM, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Powder is extremely hard to find at present here, with our local ADI ceasing operations of their main pistol powders.

Word is we wont see Trail Boss till end of year, it may all be going overseas, but we do have some imported powders available.

Unique, Clay Dot, Red Dot, Green Dot but most of us are unfamilar with those.

So would appreciate any loads my cowboy pards are using over there.

I'm using 38 special with a 125 proj. now with 2.9 gns TB. Have done for 20 years or so and find it perfect, so need to find an equivalent load.

Also 44 special with a 200 proj. for shotgun I was using Promo when in Oklahoma.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jackaroo, I've been shooting Clays since 2005. I like 3.0gr. behind a 125gr. bullet. I use the same powder charge with a 105gr. for a lighter load and 158gr. for knock downs and long range.

Randy

On 4/24/2021 at 8:04 AM, Major Crimes said:

I do now:(

Hopefully one of the APS will be similar?

Hate to be the bearer of bad news again...but the recent announcement was of the suspension of APS series production.  No pistol powders from ADI at all....according to them "for the forseeable future"...   I fear they mean...forever. 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:53 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Shooters World Clean Shot. I am using it in 12 ga.

14.4 in 12ga with 7/8 oz of #7 1/2.

Imis

What bushing are you using for this shot gun load? Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

What bushing are you using for this shot gun load? Thanks in advance.

Im loading on a Dillon so no bushings, I can give you the opening measurement on the powder bar if you want.

Imis

On 4/7/2021 at 2:53 AM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

In the absence of the Alliant powders, have you tried/is it available to you in Australia, the Shooters World Clean Shot. I am using it in all my SASS calibers and 12 ga.

3 gr in.38/.357 cowboy loads behind a 125 rnfp, 4.4 gr behind a 200 in .45c, .44sp or .45acp and 14.4 in 12ga with 7/8 oz of #7 1/2.

Imis

Unfortunately we cannot get this powder is Australia 

12 hours ago, Major E A Sterner #12916 said:

What bushing are you using for this shot gun load

Load to powder weight, not to bushing number!   No two folks run even the same model of shotgun loader with a particular powder and bushing to give the same powder weight drops.    Bushings are not precision instruments.  You have the weight that IT uses.  Find the bushing that drops very close to that weight in your loader and when using your loading technique.

good luck, GJ

Aussie powder drying up.

this is a good thing, wet powder doesn't work well. :D

59 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Load to powder weight, not to bushing number!   No two folks run even the same model of shotgun loader with a particular powder and bushing to give the same powder weight drops.    Bushings are not precision instruments.  You have the weight that IT uses.  Find the bushing that drops very close to that weight in your loader and when using your loading technique.

good luck, GJ

I haven't been able to find an updated bushing chart that has Shooters Wold powder, That's why I asked about the bushing number, it would have given me a starting point to look for.

On 4/25/2021 at 3:29 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Not new any longer.  In fact, Red and the other IMR color dot-clones (Green, Blue, Target)  have officially been announced as "production ceased"   I agree Red was a great powder, and perhaps even a better performer than Red Dot.  But, IMR ended production of those powders back in February (or so), and they join some other great IMR powders on the trash heap of the powder industry, like 4756, 4759, 7526, PB, 800-X, etc.

good luck, GJ

Where did you read this?

Hodgdon still list them as active on their website.

In the EU, many powders on on a time out until they can reattain the CE certification. This used to be pretty straight forward process; but with the continued phased implementation of the REACH initiative, the onus is on manufacturers to mitigate / eliminate any substances of Very High Concern (SVHC).

This is what has been driving the creation of new powders while at the same time other powders are being discontinued.

Government CE overreach makes far more sense to me, than powders "drying up" in the face of the huge demand.

None of the manufacturers that have production lines in place are going to "dry up" when there is this huge demand.

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Hodgdon still list them as active on their website.

You mean that they still have the catalog listing for them on their web site?  I see nothing on Hodgdon's site that guarantees that the powders are still being made.  The end-of-production info came from several shooters on Shotgun World and Trapshooter forums who have some good ties with distributors and even Hodgdon personnel.

None of the on-line vendors have had any since January.  That could be said for lots of powders now, but the dot clones went to out of stock status earlier than many others.  MidSouth has pulled them (color-dot clones and 800-X) from their on-line catalog even.  But IMR rifle powders and 700-X are still in their catalog.  Checked with Recobs, also - a BIG supplier in the Midwest.  Same powders in question have been taken out of their on-line catalog too. 

Circumstantial?  Maybe.  A strong rumor?  At least.

Guess we'll wait until most powders come back and those don't.....

good luck with a wait, GJ

Comments from VP of sales  Hodgdon powder pertaining to some items mentioned in this thread:

Hodgdon is still receiving regular shipments via cargo ship from Australia where most of their powder is sourced so no slowdown in manufacturing

The powders available in the US will NOT be affected by the European chemical restrictions and powders for the US will not be reformulated

The most popular powders are being prioritized right now in production.  H4350,  Varget, and H1000,  but others are also being produced

(I know from another source that the US Military is buying H1000 and H4350 by the shipload directly) so I don't expect to see much of those on the civilian market until the military shipments slow down.

As mentioned by others the reason for shortages is not production but the huge demand caused by the election results in the US.

Archived