SASS Wire Forum

Sayings About Flight

Subdeacon Joe

Some true, some not quite true.

1.  There is no problem so complex that it cannot simply be blamed on the pilot. ~ Dr Earl Weiner

2.  To invent an airplane is nothing. To build one is something.  To fly is everything. ~ Otto  Lilienthal

3.  Safety second is my motto. ~ Locklear

4. Speed is life, altitude is life insurance.

5.  The man who flies an airplane … must believe in the unseen. ~ Richard Bach

6. There is no excuse for an airplane unless it will fly fast! ~ Roscoe Turner

7.  The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t. ~ Douglas Adams

8.  Aviation is proof, that given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. ~ Rickenbacker

9.  Flying is like sex —I’ve never had all I wanted but occasionally I’ve had all I could stand. ~ Stephen Coonts

10.  The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise. ~ Cornelius Tactitus  (circa AD 56)

11.  Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it  is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

12. Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?  Just how in the world do  you think it got to be this old?  ~ Jim Tavenner

13. If you are looking for perfect safety, you will do well to sit on a fence and watch the birds;  but if you really wish to learn, you must mount a machine and become acquainted with its tricks by actual trial.  ~ Wilbur Wright, 1901.

14. The highest art form of all is a human being in control of himself and his airplane in flight,  urging the spirit of a machine to match his own.  ~ Richard Bach, ‘A Gift Of Wings’

15. The greatest danger in  flying is starving to death.  ~ Earl C. Reed of the T-L-R Flying Circus

16.  When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying.   ~ Donald Douglas

17. In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are usually far more dangerous  than deliberately accepted risks. ~ Wilbur Wright, September 1900.

18. I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.  ~ Antoine de St-Exupéry

19.  Any damned fool can criticize, but it takes a genius to design it in the first place. ~ Edgar  Schmued

20. When asked by someone how much money flying takes: Why, all of it!  ~ Gordon Baxter

21. The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy.  ~ Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

22.. The aeroplane will never fly.  ~ Lord haldane, Minister of War, Britain, 1907

23. What freedom lies in flying, what Godlike power it gives to men… I lose all consciousness in  this strong unmortal space crowded with beauty, pierced with danger.  ~ Charles A. Lindbergh

24. It is hard enough for anyone to map out a course of action and stick to it, particularly in  the face of the desires of one’s friends; but it is doubly hard for an aviator to stay on the ground waiting for just the right moment to go into the air.  ~ Glenn Curtiss, 1909.

25. To put your life in danger from time to time… breeds a saneness in dealing with day-to-day  trivialities.  ~ Nevil Shute

26. Aviation records don’t fall until someone is willing to mortgage the present for the future.   ~ Amelia Earhart

27. Real planes use only a single stick to fly. This is why bulldozers & helicopters—in that order  —need two.  ~ Paul Slattery

28. Airplanes are near perfect, all they lack is the ability to forgive ~ Richard Collins

29. The exhilaration of flying is too keen, the pleasure too great, for it to be neglected as a  sport. ~ Orville Wright

30. The Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you. ~ Max Stanley, Northrop  test pilot

31. The bulk of mankind is as well equipped for flying as thinking. ~ Jonathon Swift

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

12. Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?  Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?  ~ Jim Tavenner

Yup!  :)

Last Saturday, at the local airport.  My buddy Doc Pierce's 16-year old granddaughter having a fun ride in an 80-year old PT-17.  ^_^

886367436_McKenna1.thumb.jpg.19f0f3dee1c2bf6958218bf618c15b03.jpg  100_6298.thumb.JPG.08b338bc724f4d24117af40b153d5559.JPG

"The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by its very nature wants to fly and, if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other and, if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance, the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter."

"This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts, and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

Harry Reasoner

February 16, 1971

With enough power you can make anything fly - Made about the F-4 Phantom

12 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but, there are no old bold pilots.

My Dad flew for decades.
He recited this mantra to me on many occasions when I asked about his checklist.

When the airplane quits, you can’t just get out and walk away.

Me.

You start your flying career with an empty bag of experience and a full bag of luck, the trick is to fill up the one before you empty the other.

There are two schools of thought about helicopters. One is that it can fly because it's so ugly the earth repels it, the other is that it stays up only by beating the air into submission.

The propeller on the aircraft's nose has an important purpose.

It is a fan.

It keeps the pilot cool.

Didn't know this?

Just watch the pilot sweat if it quits turning!

You can do anything at all in an airplane.

Anything.

Without limit.

If -- and only if -- you stay away from that depressingly solid other world called the ground!

Archived