SASS Wire Forum

Pieces to the Puzzle

Derringer Dan

So I’ve got the major parts together and will be sending the bunch off to Pioneer for some tuneup. Very happy with what I have assembled. All 45 Colt ;)

Whatcha y’all think? Sold an extra car today and ordered a cart :ph34r: :FlagAm:.

AA2FADB1-0C03-468C-989F-6D7C1B60B1C1.jpeg

Looks like fun!

Great start!!  I shoot the Remingtons.  They are a little different but I have done my share of great matches with ‘em!

Go for good leather and work on transitions!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Great start!!  I shoot the Remingtons.  They are a little different but I have done my share of great matches with ‘em!

Go for good leather and work on transitions!!

Thanks. Got a rig from Mernickle coming and will be doing a bunch of practicing before I hit the range. Gotta do about 8 months more OT before all that however :wacko: 

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Very nice! :D

Have you tried shooting them in a match? You may find they are just fine as they are. 

As soon as I am able, I want to check them out. I’ve got a ways to go before that happens. At least 8 more months of OT....  -_-

I think you'll find transition practice will enhance your OT and vice versa.
It'll promote hand-eye coordination, upper body/upper extremity strength and endurance.

It'll improve general dexterity and specific muscle memory.

It also gives you a focus, a goal, something tangible you can work toward.

Well chosen indeed!

When you practice with your revolvers, also practice putting them back into your holsters. This is part of those "transitions" and can cost you a lot of time ...... or worse if you let it go and it's not got its pointy end into it's leather "sleeping bag" .....   :o

Congrats!  It’s good to see a new cowboy getting what they need to get into the game.  As Pat Riot said try shooting them before sending them off.  If it’s just a matter of smoothing them out you may be able to do that yourself and save time and money.  If you’re thinking of short stroking that’s a different story unless you’re good with re-timing.

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

It'll promote hand-eye coordination, upper body/upper extremity strength and endurance.

Well chosen indeed!

LK is giving good advice.

You already know how to pull a trigger.  Going through the motions of drawing, reholstering, mounting and dismounting the long guns with actions open, and making smooth transitions between all of them can be practiced with empty guns at home.  It should enhance your therapy.  Use the timer on your phone as a par timer when you are trying to increase your speed (probably months away, but something to look forward to).  Let your therapist know what you want to do and I bet he/she can help.

7 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Well chosen indeed!

Thanks Linn, great advice and some of the most inspiring words I have heard lately. I have a bit more OT to go through before I am comfortable with the basic handling of the guns. My hand strength just isn’t there quite yet. But all of this is keeping me positive and giving me something to look forward to, and I am SOOOO ready to put it all into play. Thanks partner!

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

LK is giving good advice.

You already know how to pull a trigger.  Going through the motions of drawing, reholstering, mounting and dismounting the long guns with actions open, and making smooth transitions between all of them can be practiced with empty guns at home.  It should enhance your therapy.  Use the timer on your phone as a par timer when you are trying to increase your speed (probably months away, but something to look forward to).  Let your therapist know what you want to do and I bet he/she can help.

Awesome advice J-BAR. I’ve been competing in other genres for almost 30 years. The transitions between and the mounting/dismountings of the long guns are what I want to work on primarily, although the handling of TWO sidearms will be a new thing as well, and something else to become proficient at...

As I replied to LK, I still am a ways off from having the needed hand strength, but all of this is keeping me in a positive direction. Thanks amigo!! 

6 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

When you practice with your revolvers, also practice putting them back into your holsters. This is part of those "transitions" and can cost you a lot of time ...... or worse if you let it go and it's not got its pointy end into it's leather "sleeping bag" .....   :o

Yessir!! As I am new to handling TWO sidearms, this will be another key item to work on. Thanks for the tip!

13 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

Sir, .... you are most welcome.

........................... that bit about practicing the "re-holster" is one of the best bits of advice I have ever recieved .... :)

+1 I got a MDQ because I missed my holster at the Loading Table.  I’ll never make that mistake again. 

5 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

“Pieces of the Puzzle”?

You took a Gun apart, put it back together and have parts left over?

Great analogy! This is all new to me so it’s kinda like a puzzle  B)

Archived