SASS Wire Forum

Shooting after Pace Maker/Defib unit

Pee Wee #15785

Received a Pacemaker/Defib unit and would like to know when you started shooting 12 ga double again.  Also how about an ambition how long before 12 ga double shootings. Doctor looks blank as he has never shot a 12 ga in his life.

31 minutes ago, Pee Wee #15785 said:

No but I would like to know as the doctor could say 1 week or 1 year

Take him to the range and let him shoot your shotgun.

I had planned on shooting sass had everything but the rifle. But then due to atrial fibrillation I had to get a defibrillator installed. So when I woke up from surgery I was told they weren’t able to put it on my left side so they put it in my right side. I was told no more shooting from that shoulder any longer. So I havnt shot anything for two years now..They said it should be ok to shoot lefty but I’m hesitant to try. Hope this helps you. All said n done no more shotgun on right side for me

Josey Wales:  all revolvers.  Sounds like the category was created with you in mind!

Have fun without risking your health, Pard.  

30 minutes ago, Chicago kidd said:

I had planned on shooting sass had everything but the rifle. But then due to atrial fibrillation I had to get a defibrillator installed. So when I woke up from surgery I was told they weren’t able to put it on my left side so they put it in my right side. I was told no more shooting from that shoulder any longer. So I havnt shot anything for two years now..They said it should be ok to shoot lefty but I’m hesitant to try. Hope this helps you. All said n done no more shotgun on right side for me

Shoot your SG from the hip or a little higher.  With a little practice you'll be knocking them down in no time.

If you want some, just say the word and I'll send you some dummy 12 ga hulls to practice shooting as a lefty.

I shoot with a guy that had to learn to shoot left handed due to a partial loss of vision in his right eye.  After a couple months he was quite proficient as a lefty.

You might consider trying a 97, there seems to be a befit to running it left handed.

20 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Shoot your SG from the hip or a little higher.  With a little practice you'll be knocking them down in no time.

If you want some, just say the word and I'll send you some dummy 12 ga hulls to practice shooting as a lefty.

I shoot with a guy that had to learn to shoot left handed due to a partial loss of vision in his right eye.  After a couple months he was quite proficient as a lefty.

I did that for awhile after shoulder surgery. To my surprise, it was easier than I thought it would be. 

I had a Medtronic put in left side and shoot right shoulder.  Mind you my wires go up my neck.  Even opposite side it was every bit of three months following surgery.  And much of that was spent rebuilding chest muscles first. 

PLUS ONE for J-BAR absolutely!!

As an aside.  My Metronome was installed on the left and I shoot on the right.  Mine was installed during the Winter "Off" season so I have no idea how long I could have, should have, would have waited under other circumstances.  Under NO circumstances would I trust other than the information provided by your Cardiologist.  If your Cardiologist is clueless, he or she has access to an entire network from which to get answers.  If your particular Cardio won't get you answers, you need to find a different Cardio.

Stay Safe Out There.

PS:  NOBODY on the forum can be trusted to answer your question.  YMMV

I had a defib. put in after my heart was in a-fib. My cardiologist said I should wait 3 to 4 weeks to resume shooting as long as it was opposite of the unit. Mine is on the left and I shoot on the right side. It has been 2 years since installation and I have not had any problems. But I think Colorado Coffinmaker is right, if your cardiologist won't give you a straight answer, I would find another one.

My opinion

Jax T

106617L

My buddy had one installed last Fall.  He is an avid shooter and was adamant with his surgeon as to where to place the unit.  It was not to interfere with his shooting.

My now gone shooting partner had one on the left side, shot right handed, all except one time at another venue. Script called for shooting shot gun on off side. He did it without thinking about it. After that, he decided to claim a mulligan on any of those type instructions. Never ran into one of those again until he couldn't shoot anymore:blush:

Several years ago I had my defibrillator go off, due to AFib, on the fifth stage of the day simultaneously with the second barrel of my SKB. It felt like somebody hit me in the middle of my back with a sledgehammer. I let out a loud grunt, opened and shucked the empty shells and went and sat down. The TO later said he was afraid the shotgun had blown up in my face. Can you believe they gave me a 10 second penalty for two unfired rounds 

My defibrillator is installed on the left side and I shoot right handed. I’ve had it now for about 10 years I don’t remember how long it was before I could shoot. One of the cardiologist in the office shot skeet and advised my cardiologist on how to handle my case.

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

Several years ago I had my defibrillator go off, due to AFib, on the fifth stage of the day simultaneously with the second barrel of my SKB. It felt like somebody hit me in the middle of my back with a sledgehammer. I let out a loud grunt, opened and shucked the empty shells and went and sat down. The TO later said he was afraid the shotgun had blown up in my face. Can you believe they gave me a 10 second penalty for two unfired rounds 

My defibrillator is installed on the left side and I shoot right handed. I’ve had it now for about 10 years I don’t remember how long it was before I could shoot. One of the cardiologist in the office shot skeet and advised my cardiologist on how to handle my case.

If you shucked the rounds, how did they justify a penalty?

54 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

If you shucked the rounds, how did they justify a penalty?

Only shot 2 of the required 4 rounds. Just didn’t have the heart to keep going. haha 

7 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

I’ve been accused that my rounds could take the place of a pacemaker. 

Me Too. Have some Black Dawg 12 gauge loads. 3 dram eq 1 1/8 loads.

Bring a smile to my face every time I pull the trigger

Archived