SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1891 32 rimfire - now center fire! - the next project.

Warden Callaway

• Warden Callaway changed the title to Marlin 1891 32 rimfire - now center fire! - the next project.

We had a full day of other things that need done but I fired up the pot this afternoon and cast a couple dozen bullets.   Then found my 311 sizing die for the Lyman 450.  Old school.  Used a RCBS cast iron mold.  I'm reminded how heavy they are.  I'll likely load a few with Grafs fffg. 

923095536_Marlin1891castbulletsApril2021.jpg.6132fc7fcf2bba43112fb1ca44d5f15e.jpg

Trudging along.  The cartridge port hole in the magazine tube was a little too nerrow to allow the 32 S&W Long to enter.   So I used some Swiss files to take a little off the sides.  Before and after.

1065913779_Marlin1891magazinetube1April2021.jpg.11dc6fba368d18573808f0a7ece92b8f.jpg

1385758252_Marlin1891magazinetube2April2021.jpg.b791633b90ef60f85c55cb32b2ca2602.jpg

The ejector is too long - being made for the 32 Short Colt rimfire - so won't eject a loaded 32 S&W Long round.  So instead of just shorting the ejector I have, I'm making a new one. Got a start.

1693423029_Marlin1891ejectorApril2021.jpg.62a3f3ba96b42de82efc6b7984cf8b70.jpg

I got the ejector made, hardened (hopefully) and it actually looks like it is going to work.

1981753318_Marlin1891ejectorinstalledApril2021.jpg.2e668eae6a05876e6eb0a22ddd3a7922.jpg

But I am faced with another problem.  The spring in the magazine is too weak to push the last 2 cartridges onto the carrier.   It's really an archaic design with the outer tube being pulled out to load.  I'm trying to take it apart and made some progress.   But the end plug is pined in with a small pin.  It's not budging.  Going to step back and give the penetrating oil time to work. I can see the spring and it has a bump in it.  Plus, it has probably lost it's original strength.  

I'm going to work at marking the caliber on the barrel.   I have a set of stamps but have never used them.  I've done some research on how to make a good job.  I'm going to practice on lead first.

1 hour ago, watab kid said:

i love your projects and as discussed a few years back ove shotgun hulls id enjoy some face to face time when you come to visit your son , 

We've been out and walked your cowboy range one time when we were up there.  Very impressive.  I always think we would come up and shoot with you guys but our matches fall the same weekend as your monthly matches.   Son is always inviting us up. But I'm not going until the social climate has changed. 

About the paper hulls...  I found some loaded Federal paper target loads on discount at Grafs and bought a half-dozen boxes. I shot a few out to get the hulls.  As far as I got on the reload project. Then one day I was in an obscure gunshop associated with a clay target range.  There they were, trash bags full of paper hulls for sale.  I didn't buy any as I had traided off the Parker shotgun that I'd planed to load them for!

Got the magazine tube apart.  I had to drill the small pin holding the end cap on.  The spring is a train wreck.  Looks like one for a 38 will work. I have a leftover piece on the larger tube. If it was the good old days, I'd order one from MidwayUSA and run over and get it.  The tube is 28" long so I can't just rob one from a different Marlin.  

1173809383_Marlin1891magazinetubeapartApril2021.jpg.f359a26b53b967f02ef0984724ba6e89.jpg

Turned out,  I did more work than necessary getting the tube apart.  I tried a spring out of an antique Marlin 1894 32WCF.   It would go in the tube but was a tight fit in diameter and the wire size was larger than the original.  I got the tubes all cleaned up and reassembled with old spring.  Looks like it would marginally work but not dependability.   

As luck would have it,  Numrich, aka Gun Parts Corp has the spring listed.  They also have the lever spring in stock.  I just put in an order for the springs and some new reproduction screws to replace the buggered screws. 

I'm still practicing stamping the caliber on lead before trying it on the barrel. 

For want of a nail.  In the early hours last night I made a pin from a paneling nail (possibly a plaster lath nail?).  It turned out I put a lot of effort getting the pin out, destroying it in the process,  that wasn't necessary.  Then I made a new pin. Just part of figuring things out.

1116300145_Marlin1891magazinetubepinApril2021.jpg.fdf8bc0eff6af9cbdb3b766fa012af38.jpg

The punch through the latch is to align the parts.  The pin goes through the latch lever. I pulled the punch out as I inserted the new pin.  I cut off the excess when it reached the off side. Looks good and works.

Waiting for parts from Numrich.  

Well, it's a serviceable job of stamping the new caliber on the barrel.  I've seen worse. My first time at doing this. 

1814491621_Marlin189132SWApril2021.jpg.8bde1472a31a433176d8d581d92f081d.jpg

I  made a fixture tool out of one of the barrel vise blocks to hold the stamp vertical and centered. 

538521867_Marlin1891stampjigApril2021.jpg.585fc9589448cabadf64e39b60ec4dc5.jpg

That worked out well for keeping the letters centered. 

2049731559_Marlin1891calstampApril2021.jpg.d294fdeacd5d75963a2d8c842194f9dc.jpg

Tracking says my parts are in Kansas City.  Should be here tomorrow. 

Well I gotta tell yah Warden Callaway your doing fantastic work & very professional. I really enjoy all of your posts..

Thanks for all your posts pilgrim.

Jackrabbit Joe

Thanks Jackrabbit! 

I put the new magazine spring in.  It may be a little strong but I can cut it shorter but I can't cut it longer if I go too far.

The action is now stiff like new with the new lever spring. But the lever closes up nice and secure now.  

I'll have to try a little longer cartridge over all length.  The next cartridge is coming in a little too far sometimes blocking the carrier from rising.  Not always so it's close. Another 1/32" longer may do the trick. 

It's kind of neat to just take a thumb screw loose and take the side off - there is every thing in the action to see. 

Got it shot this morning.  

2011442290_Marlin1891first10shotgroupApril2021.jpg.1f95299001a8fae843450734f7cbba09.jpg

First 10 shots offhand at 25 steps.  I had one feed issue but encouraging.  I think a round nose bullet and getting the overall length right may make the difference.  

I shot video and plan to edit into a video.  

Excellent WC, sure enjoy watching you put old guns back in shooting condition, I picked up an original Winchester low wall at our clubs gun show a couple months ago that is a 32 rimfire in really good condition, I have no interest in 32 rimfire so I talked to Lee Shaver about converting it to 32-20 for my grandson. He is 9 and loves Long Range shooting but is just to small to shoot my Sharps rifles, can’t wait to get it done and watch him shoot it!     SCJ

41 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Excellent WC, sure enjoy watching you put old guns back in shooting condition, I picked up an original Winchester low wall at our clubs gun show a couple months ago that is a 32 rimfire in really good condition, I have no interest in 32 rimfire so I talked to Lee Shaver about converting it to 32-20 for my grandson. He is 9 and loves Long Range shooting but is just to small to shoot my Sharps rifles, can’t wait to get it done and watch him shoot it!     SCJ

Larry Potterfield did one.

Thanks guys! 

I have a lot of video shot that I'm planning to incorporate many of the pictures I've posted here. 

Just today I looked through a small rats nest of Marlin ejectors from all years of 1894 rifles.  I happen on to one that looks to be a later variation ejector made to replace the original. I'm out of loaded rounds but it ejected a spent case well.  

Look what I found. 

The original ejector in the Marlin project gun wasn't going to work for the 32 S&W so I made one.  Well, it works but not well.  Then I thought to look through my Marlin parts box to see if an ejector for an early model 1894 would work.  In the process,  I heard something fall on the floor.  I looked but didn't find anything important.   Well,  yesterday I was at the work bench and dropped a screw.  While looking for it, I found a new Wisner ejector I'd gotten some time back because I was ordering something else and add a few "just in case" parts to the list.

Anyway, it was a drop in fit and although I've only just tried it with a couple of rounds, it looks like it's going to work.

663745991_MarlinWisnerejectorsApril2019.jpg.3bb7fa970b0a9001496e6f8470ee3a91.jpg

I decided to split the video into two parts.  This is an overview and shooting the gun. I'll come back and make a second video showing the cleanup and repair.

I have the new Wisner ejector installed and have the gun socked up to take to the match this morning. At least for show and tell.   Looks like rain moving in but I'd like to try it on one stage.  I have my Marlin 1894c packed up also.

Well, not bragging but came in first in Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter catagory today. By default because I was the only FCG at the match.  Let one get away from a clean match.  Shot well for me. It was around 50 degrees, bitter wind and threatening storms kept the numbers to one good size posse.

I started out with the 1891 project gun.  Fortunately,  it jammed tight on first throw of the lever. No shots fired so I asked for a re-shoot.  I put the 1891 back in the cart and got my 1894c and shot the match.  I say "fortunately" because it did it right off on the first gun. So I could get a re-shoot and now I don't have to clean it.  

I'll have to do some more homework on it.  I had loaded up 60 rounds for the match and the only thing different was that I turned the die in about 1/8 turn to get just a litte more crimp.  Maybe it shortened the over all length to let the next cartridge in too far.  

Just plain fantastic work your doing there pilgrim & thanks Warden.

Best to you. Keep up the good stuuf for viewing.

JRJ

I got around to shooting the Marlin this afternoon.  I shot 3 strings of 10 each. I had to clear the 8'th round on first magazine load.  The second and third ran well.  The ejection was positive.  I think I need to clean and polish the magazine tube again.   And maybe the portal. 

• 4 weeks later...

If they had an award for the oldest gun at the match today,  I would have won by a comfortable margin.   

The project gun ran real well.  I ran it smooth and deliberately and it cycled fine. I let a couple of targets get away from a clean match but I think they were handgun targets.   The targets were set WAY out there.   

Here is video where I'm shooting the Marlin on the first two stages.

Looks like it turned out just plain fantastic Warden. Good job pilgrim. Keep up the good professional work.

Enjoy all your videos pilgrim.

JRJ

Archived