SASS Wire Forum

ATV light bars

Any of you ATV riders familiar with LED Light Bars?

I'm thinking of putting one on my ATV and would much appreciate any good/bad information

some of you may have.

THanks

..........Widder

I have no experience with them and can only relate 2nd hand info. 
Each person that I have spoken to about their light bars on pickups and ATVs has said something very similar. “You get what you pay for.” Apparently most of these LED light bars use the same or similar LEDs from the same companies in China. The thing is the way companies wire them up and the housings they are mounted in. 

I put a HF bar on my truck last year. Lights up the road and everything near it. 

Wired it with a relay that calls from the switch so all the power is in proper sized wire with short runs. 

Spent about 60 bucks and it lights the deer up so I see em fore I hit em

Cost can depend a lot on if your current wiring/switches support it and you want it integrated....vs just taping a couple wires here or there.  At 100 plus an hour for a dealership to do it you can far exceed the cost of the physical light if not doing it yourself.  

How much illumination do you need?  In what profile do you need it?  At what speed (engine RPM) do you need this light and will the stator support it? 

The cheaper bars are getting better for more light at less draw.  They still aren't a Rigid in output, efficiency, or durability. 

Some ATVs have accessory plugs that are keyed and live.  So it can be a plug and play bar with hardly any labor.  For example, my Cat light kit came with a switched harness, plug and play with the factory harness.  Bolt on bracket to the rack.  Clamp on light switch to the bar.  Positioning the light with different loads on the ATV took longer than the install.  I used a silver sharpie to mark the bracket for different loads. 

I have a solar yard light that when my electric fence spark gaps it picks up the charge in time with the spark pop.

I picked up a Nilight 20 in light bar for my 4 wheeler last fall.   $40 for light and wiring----   relays, switch and fuses.   Going good so far       GW

Archived