SASS Wire Forum

Need a prayer

Blackwater 53393

I just got word that Philip Smith, the bass player for my band, Milkbone, lost his battle with cancer this afternoon.

Behind Mark Watson and myself, he was the longest continuous member of the band.

He brought a rock solid foundation to the band. He was a great performer, a solid vocalist, a stickler for quality, and a good friend.  

He was a good man.

The band will carry on. He’d have wanted it that way. We’ll be better for his being a part of us.

please!  no sad faces!  we’ll rock ‘til we drop!!

Sorry for your loss and prayers up for all who are hurting.

My condolences. I will keep Philip, you, the band, family and friends in my thoughts and meditations.

Since you said no sad faces, if there was a song that he particularly enjoyed playing, let me know.

O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who hast trampled down death and overthrown the Devil, and given life to Thy world, do Thou, the same Lord, give rest to the soul of Thy departed servant in a place of brightness, a place of refreshment, a place of repose, where all sickness, sighing, and sorrow have fled away. Pardon every transgression which he has committed, whether by word or deed or thought. For Thou art a good God and lovest mankind; because there is no man who lives yet does not sin, for Thou only art without sin, Thy righteousness is to all eternity, and Thy word is truth.

For Thou are the Resurrection, the Life, and the Repose of Thy servants who have fallen asleep, O Christ our God, and unto Thee we ascribe glory, together with Thy Father, who is from everlasting, and Thine all-holy, good, and life-creating Spirit, now and ever unto ages of ages. Amen

May He Who arose from the dead, Christ our true God, through the prayers of His all-pure Mother; of the holy, glorious and all laudable Apostles; of our holy and God-bearing Fathers; and of all the saints; establish the soul of His servant who has  been taken from us, in the mansion of the righteous; give him rest in Abraham’s bosom, and number him among the just; and have mercy on us, forasmuch as He is good and loves mankind.

Grant rest eternal in blessed repose, O Lord, to Thy servant who has fallen asleep, and make his memory to be eternal!

https://youtu.be/si_H9GXuGtU

But how wonderful to repose in the Lord on the Day of Resurrection!

Just this...

Sorry for your loss.  Musicians form a unique bond that's hard to explain to non-musicians.  As you stated, his influence will be forever with the band.

Thanks, everyone!!

Please!  Please!! No more sad faces!

The family and friends and the band will happily celebrate this man’s life and music sometime soon!!  

Many of our cowboy friends met and knew Philip from the shows we’ve played at matches all over the SASS map!! SO!!  Remember him with a smile!!  That’s the way he’d want it!!

16 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thanks, everyone!!

Please!  Please!! No more sad faces!

The family and friends and the band will happily celebrate this man’s life and music sometime soon!!  

Many of our cowboy friends met and knew Philip from the shows we’ve played at matches all over the SASS map!! SO!!  Remember him with a smile!!  That’s the way he’d want it!!

Well said!

Condolences to the band and his family. Rock on.

My hand on your shoulder, my friend.

Standing up on my knees for you and all who knew him!

UPDATE!!

We will play a tribute performance on Sunday, April 25th at Bikini Beach Bar in Nashville, Tennessee in memory of Philip as part of our regular show that day.

Friends, family, and all the folks who have supported us and enjoyed our music are welcome.  

We will start around 1:00 pm so the kids and grandkids can join us for a little while.  

The regular show time is 2:00 to 6:00 pm!!

Archived