SASS Wire Forum

My Walkers are a pain in my assperations.

The Hero of Canton

Third match range report.

Warning : I'm grumpy.

After that frustrating match...

I went to war on my Walkers. Cap rake, (threaded and replaceable), Right side recoil shield / spent cap chutes,

Done and tested in my clearing barrel.

4hrs start to tested. Looks better than I expected. Pics soon. Still gotta clean up. 

This weekends match saw the results of my divorce of the 1887 levergun 12ga ... 

Frikin gun made my giant thumbs bleed... had to go. 

×Bought for $480. Sold for $560... win!

Picked a up a Westernfield omnichoke (mossy500 12ga ) $180 & a hatfield 28inch BO. For $120 at Big Town gunshow.

WIFE pockets the rest. × 

Match 3:  I went with a the single barrel break open 28 inch barrel hatfield 12ga for my shotgun- until i can find a slickable double coach gun.

Fail.  Slow

Set my belt wrong. Right hand reload 12ga... slooooow. 

#cutthat to 19inches & remounted the bead.

Walkers:  Cap jam... after cap jam.. sloooow as ashfault cooling.  Gotta find a fix. Cap rake suggested... googled after.

Emb bare assed

On a bright note : The 1896 lever gun and hand loads were aaawwweeessaooommeee!

Figured out ,by suggestion,  that raising the thumb, and leaving the booger picker in the ring, while actuating the lever results in trigger pull. Fullauto levergun.  ( still came in dead last- but Yee haw! ) 

There should be a a new dawn next match. Cap rake on the walkers works perfectly. No mor jams.  Now to find a coach gun to slick up....

Learning, working the solution... and humble.... I will not be last after my 4th match! 

Nobody is coming to save you. Act accordingly.

THOC. 

Stay tuned for pics: tomorow after cleaning.

16 minutes ago, The Hero of Canton said:

Third match range report.

Warning : I'm grumpy.

After that frustrating match...

I went to war on my Walkers. Cap rake, (threaded and replaceable), Right side recoil shield / spent cap chutes,

Done and tested in my clearing barrel.

4hrs start to tested. Looks better than I expected. Pics soon. Still gotta clean up. 

This weekends match saw the results of my divorce of the 1887 levergun 12ga ... 

Frikin gun made my giant thumbs bleed... had to go. 

×Bought for $480. Sold for $560... win!

Picked a up a Westernfield omnichoke (mossy500 12ga ) $180 & a hatfield 28inch BO. For $120 at Big Town gunshow.

WIFE pockets the rest. × 

Match 3:  I went with a the single barrel break open 28 inch barrel hatfield 12ga for my shotgun- until i can find a slickable double coach gun.

Fail.  Slow

Set my belt wrong. Right hand reload 12ga... slooooow. 

#cutthat to 19inches & remounted the bead.

Walkers:  Cap jam... after cap jam.. sloooow as ashfault cooling.  Gotta find a fix. Cap rake suggested... googled after.

Emb bare assed

On a bright note : The 1896 lever gun and hand loads were aaawwweeessaooommeee!

Figured out ,by suggestion,  that raising the thumb, and leaving the booger picker in the ring, while actuating the lever results in trigger pull. Fullauto levergun.  ( still came in dead last- but Yee haw! ) 

There should be a a new dawn next match. Cap rake on the walkers works perfectly. No mor jams.  Now to find a coach gun to slick up....

Learning, working the solution... and humble.... I will not be last after my 4th match! 

Nobody is coming to save you. Act accordingly.

THOC. 

Stay tuned for pics: tomorow after cleaning.

Be careful...Harris is coming to save you....Not using Walkers but 1860s...Winter range, had 8 to start...By middle of day 2, none working....Next time will take more...Maybe last longer into 3rd...If lucky...But not giving up....

Texas Lizard

If it wasn't for bad luck - you'd have no luck... 

LoL. 

What went right? 

That’s why shooting Frontiersman is......challenging.  Some say we’re one step away from a train wreck, personally I love C&B I like the challenge.  Of course I’m no speed demon and can laugh at myowndangself when things go horribly wrong.  While just a couple of weeks ago at Ides one of my pistols decided it didn’t want to ignite the cap the first time so I went the whole day pulling the hammer 11 times for 5 shots.  Oh and did I mention that on the other pistol the loading lever latch broke and I had to use a pipe cleaner to hold it on?  Just part of the fun.

Wish I knew about the 87.  I have a hammered double I'm sure we could have worked out a deal!:D

Silly question, do you know an ejector is legal on a single shot shotgun?  I have one you can borrow if you want to use it.

I have been shooting Frontiersman the past few seasons or as I refer to it as I shoot the Masochist category. Last year I began experimenting with an 87 I must say its going well at least it appears that way to me. Happily my ROA's run nicely and of course once in a while I may have to go round an extra time to get one chamber to go off...just part of the fun. Am going to EOT and starting off using my 87...that said my TTN double will be coming along just in case

Hochbauer

87 was not a fit for me.

Pics  before  cleanup of tested walkers,  18 rds each. No cap jams or misfires. after rake and chute.

20210404_194213.jpg

20210404_193928.jpg

Barleycorn blaspheme! 

Rugers, Remington, and LeMatt... taking away all the lovely confounding trials that made men hard and creative. 

Honestly.  I'm lookin at a pair of New Army's after my first year,  but I am determined to make smoke with these two horse hammers. 

1873's in .357 if they ever get imprted again too...

3 minutes ago, The Hero of Canton said:

Barleycorn blaspheme! 

Rugers, Remington, and LeMatt... taking away all the lovely confounding trials that made men hard and creative. 

Honestly.  I'm lookin at a pair of New Army's after my first year,  but I am determined to make smoke with these two horse hammers. 

1873's in .357 if they ever get imprted again too...

It may be a while the news today said Italy has shut down again. Any Italian guns not already on the way to the US will be a unknown time off.

CLUELESS- 

yeah -ejectors on H&Rs are nice, but this lil fold up 12 has it own charm befor and after I find a double. 

Pluss H&Rs are fetching $200 at the shows.  Got a mosberg knock off WFIELD for $180, and its a double bar, 5 shot pump....  I'm gonna keep it simple stupid for shotguns. 

I have to try everything the wrong way seems like before I embrace the best way. 

16 minutes ago, The Hero of Canton said:

CLUELESS- 

yeah -ejectors on H&Rs are nice, but this lil fold up 12 has it own charm befor and after I find a double. 

Pluss H&Rs are fetching $200 at the shows.  Got a mosberg knock off WFIELD for $180, and its a double bar, 5 shot pump....  om gonna keep it simple stupid for shotguns. 

I have to try everything the wrong way before I embrace the best way. 

Enjoy the journey 

Only one real fix......

PRACTICE and ....

More Practice and .......

Even more practice. 

One of SASS's most important maxims is -

IF YOU EVER TAKE A GUN TO A MATCH YOU HAVE NOT PRACTICED WITH AT LEAST 100 HOURS, IT WILL BITE YOU.

:lol:  GJ

6 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

One of SASS's most important maxims is -

IF YOU EVER TAKE A GUN TO A MATCH YOU HAVE NOT PRACTICED WITH AT LEAST 100 HOURS, IT WILL BITE YOU.

:lol:  GJ

And it will be sure to break in the middle of the match... or on the 1st stage... or the last... but it will break!

More importantly... don't rebuild guns with used parts!

We're fond of :If you dont run your gear, your gear will run you. "

Test, evaluate, adjust, and reassessment.

As far as practice- only one range near me allows BP, but that range does not allow "from the holster use"

So... I am stuck field testing from a clearing barrel, dummy shells, and saying pew... pew.... 

Not to mention ammo and cap shortage. 

Am I having fun? Puzzles, crafting, modifications, and costuming is entirely entertaining. 

12 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

That’s why shooting Frontiersman is......challenging.  Some say we’re one step away from a train wreck, personally I love C&B I like the challenge.  Of course I’m no speed demon and can laugh at myowndangself when things go horribly wrong.  While just a couple of weeks ago at Ides one of my pistols decided it didn’t want to ignite the cap the first time so I went the whole day pulling the hammer 11 times for 5 shots.  Oh and did I mention that on the other pistol the loading lever latch broke and I had to use a pipe cleaner to hold it on?  Just part of the fun.

It was fun to watch.

Enjoyed shooting with you.

1 hour ago, Bo Dacious said:

It was fun to watch.

Enjoyed shooting with you.

“Fun to watch” is not what you said I seem to remember something like “oh this is painful” or “I’d rather get a tooth pulled then watch you shoot”.  Of course you know I’m kidding you.  And for anyone who’s been fortunate enough to shoot with Bo and his lovely wife Au you know that they are the nicest folks with a great sense of humor.  Needless to say I’m looking forward to shooting with you both again.

14 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

You'll never make it  shooting Frontiersman if you can't laugh at yourself. I also agree that a Frontiersman shooting an 87 and a Spencer Rifle is staring into the abyss to see who blinks first. :D

Like you, I love the challenge. Nothing is more satisfying than shooting a clean stage with no major malfunctions.

4 hours ago, The Hero of Canton said:

As far as practice- only one range near me allows BP, but that range does not allow "from the holster use"

So... I am stuck field testing from a clearing barrel, dummy shells, and saying pew... pew.... 

You can pratice with staged revolvers instead of drawing from holsters and at least you get better practice with Boom Boom instead of pew pew.  :ph34r:

Pics clean.

And yes... 

I mourn for the " case hardened"  heirloom look, but Im looking forward the "Hardend criminal" sweat rust look even more.

Nipples are soaking. 

20210405_142545.jpg

20210405_140058.jpg

20210405_140050.jpg

20210405_142501.jpg

20210405_142445.jpg

20210405_142319.jpg

20210405_140214.jpg

20210405_142249.jpg

20210405_142202.jpg

20210405_142128.jpg

Has the arbor length been corrected?  That will allow you to have a much more consistent hammer/nipple "interface". Don't allow the cylinder to move "out of reach" of the hammer. The hammer needs to be able to fall with almost no interference from other "influences". Add an action shield and an action stop, a bolt block, a spring and pushrod hand spring  and you'll be "bullet proof"!!

Mike

Archived